Maxxis DHF MaxxGrip or Assegai MaxxGrip

June 14, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

Has anyone tried the Maxxis DHF MaxxGrip and the Assegai MaxxGrip for riding on the North Shore? I currently have the DHF MaxxTerra for the front and DHR2 on the rear, I'm looking for more grip in the front. Which one do you prefer for all conditions on the Shore?

June 14, 2020, 8:29 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

2.6 Magic Mary.

So you've tried the DHF and Assegai in a MaxxGrip and you prefer the Magic Mary? Care to elaborate?

June 14, 2020, 8:41 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

Has anyone tried the Maxxis DHF MaxxGrip and the Assegai MaxxGrip for riding on the North Shore? I currently have the DHF MaxxTerra for the front and DHR2 on the rear, I'm looking for more grip in the front. Which one do you prefer for all conditions on the Shore?

Haven't tired the Assegai yet but as I'm sure you already know the Minion DHF is tried and true. More importantly, the Minion comes in EXO MaxxGrip in the WT version, which I don't think is true for the Assegai. The weight difference is significant. If you are going to run the DD in either one, I have heard nothing but rave reviews about the Assegai from those that have ridden the Minion for years.

June 14, 2020, 9:29 p.m.

I've tried both a DHF EXO MaxxGrip and Assegai Double Down MaxxGrip. The Assegai is insanely grippy but feels like more work to pedal around (though it is a bit hard to separate what is the tread pattern and what is the ~300 g weight difference between the two tires). The DHF EXO MaxxGrip is a good all-rounder, finding a good balance between all-out grip and efficiency. It is still excellent on wet rocks and roots.

A more fair comparison would be the two tires in the same casing. I wish they made an Assegai EXO MaxxGrip.

June 15, 2020, 6:39 a.m.

I found the Assegai up front a great tire until it got really sloppy (like the last few weeks). The treat pattern is tighter than the DHF so it doesn't shed mud as quick. In all of those other conditions it was great.

June 15, 2020, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

I've tried both a DHF EXO MaxxGrip and Assegai Double Down MaxxGrip. The Assegai is insanely grippy but feels like more work to pedal around (though it is a bit hard to separate what is the tread pattern and what is the ~300 g weight difference between the two tires). The DHF EXO MaxxGrip is a good all-rounder, finding a good balance between all-out grip and efficiency. It is still excellent on wet rocks and roots.

A more fair comparison would be the two tires in the same casing. I wish they made an Assegai EXO MaxxGrip.

I looked at Maxxis website again, the DHF MaxxGrip Exo weighs 1,295g and the Assegai MaxxGrip DD weighs 1,305g. Are those weights accurate? It seems that the DD should weigh more than 10g extra over the EXO?

June 15, 2020, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I found the Assegai up front a great tire until it got really sloppy (like the last few weeks). The treat pattern is tighter than the DHF so it doesn't shed mud as quick. In all of those other conditions it was great.

DHF better all around option then?

June 15, 2020, 9:15 a.m.

It's my go to. At the moment though I've put go a HR2 on as thats even better in the slop. Will be coming off soon once (if it ever does) dry out.

June 15, 2020, 9:47 a.m.

I looked at Maxxis website again, the DHF MaxxGrip Exo weighs 1,295g and the Assegai MaxxGrip DD weighs 1,305g. Are those weights accurate? It seems that the DD should weigh more than 10g extra over the EXO?

I just bought both tires you asked about. I haven't ridden them yet. But digital kitchen scale (which is calibrated) tells me my Assegai DD Maxxgrip in 29x2.5 weighs 1250g and my DHF DD Maxxgrip in 29x2.5 weighs 1215g.  

In my experience posted tire weights are often +/- 10%.  I bought some Magic Marys in Supergravity Ultra Soft 29x2.35 in the fall.  Posted weight is 1165g.  I was a bit disappointed to find they actually weighed 1308g and 1311g.

Last edited by: Bushpilot on June 15, 2020, 9:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 15, 2020, 1:12 p.m.

This is the DHF EXO MaxxGrip from the Maxxis site (the way the enter their specs seems to be inconstent). Closer to 1000 g.

TB85975200 27.5X2.50WT 63-584 60 FOLDABLE 980 3C MAXX GRIP 50 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN

TB00144000 29X.2.50WT 63-622 60 FOLDABLE 1,017 TRIPLE 50 3CG/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN

On my cheap luggage scale, my 29er DHF EXO MG was a bit over 1000 g as advertised, and my 29er Assegai DD MG was around 1300 g.

June 15, 2020, 2:01 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I was going to try Assegai DD MaxxGrip up front but was chatting with James @ Obsession and he echoed this thought. Went DHF DD MaxxGrip again instead, it's also lighter than the Assegai cuz of the tread pattern. The DD Assegai is basically as heavy as the folding DH casing.

I do not change tires for weather conditions so I'll continue to run 2.5WT DHF DD MaxxGrip + 2.4WT DHR II DD MaxxTerra (hard to find this tire, Obsession happened to have one in stock).

June 15, 2020, 3:25 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I should've mentioned I'm running 29ers. Sounds like my best bet is to go with the DHF MaxxGrip.

June 15, 2020, 3:30 p.m.

Maxxis really needs to add two more trail tire versions, just for me.

• Assegai EXO+ in MaxxGrip
  • Aggressor EXO in 3C MaxxTerra.

Please Maxxis, pretty please?

I'm happy with my heavier wheelset options (Mary SG UltraSoft with DHR DD MaxxTerra).

On my lighter everyday wheelset I've been running a front Assegai EXO+, and it really needs MaxxGrip to be worth it. I disagree with the comments about it glogging, it's brilliant in gooey loam, but here around Seattle we don't have truly sticky mud, so YMMV.  It's just on wet roots that the lack of MaxxGrip reaches up and slaps you every once in a while.

Also tried the Dissector 3C rear in EXO on my trail tires for faster rolling since I'm doing a lot of bigger rides. Feel great, but then the wimpy little side knobs started cracking after only 10 rides or so, WAY faster than happens on a DHR in the same compound. 

I love the Aggressor, but not when it's wet out. If they just released it in a MaxxTerra EXO, I could run that all year for faster rolling without killing myself on rock faces. DC compound sucks when it's wet.

June 15, 2020, 3:34 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I should've mentioned I'm running 29ers. Sounds like my best bet is to go with the DHF MaxxGrip.

On a 29er you could run DHR MaxxGrip on the front, in either DD or EXO. Sadly, they don't appear to offer DHR MaxxGrip in EXO for 27.5.

Last edited by: JVP on June 15, 2020, 3:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 15, 2020, 8:11 p.m.

I’d echo the opinion that the Assegai isn’t a great sloppy soil tire But I prefer it to the DHF.  I had a bad ride last fall and was slipping a bunch so I blamed the DHF Maxxgrip on that. Couldn’t be my poor skills. No it’s definitely the tire. It wasn’t really old but the knobs weren’t sharp and new. On went an Assegai in Maxterra. Then everything froze solid here and I was setting pr’s on downhills. Bought another for the front of my hardtail and I mentioned to the shop guy that the Maxterra Assegai rode softer than that compound should if that makes sense. He agreed. 

Another option that I really like a lot is the Michelin Wild Enduro front and rear. Excellent tires.