Marzocchi 66 RC bottoming

Nov. 16, 2008, noon

I have an older 66rc, it seems to bottom too easily. Despite adjusting the air pressure it is either still bottoming or too harsh, can't get the air just right. I was thinking that maybe changing the fluid in the compression leg to a heavier weight would help to prevent the bottoming. Any one else out there have any experience similar to this.

Live 2 Ride

Nov. 16, 2008, 12:20 p.m.

not sure if this will answer you, but here goes…

I am a really light rider so had to change to a lighter set of springs in my 888rc2x…I was concerened about it being too lightly sprung and bottoming out (as well as other concerns) so when I swapped to the lighter springs I went up to the next viscosity oil. So far I've had no problems, havent bottomed out, and to me it seems to make the fork slightly more progressive through the full travel/stroke..I'll admit that I cant quantify this, but for me the oil/spring combination has made a significant difference.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Nov. 16, 2008, 1 p.m.

yes that is the effect I am chasing. With 66 there is no option to change springs, just adjust the air pressure which is meant to assist the coil springs. When I add air is makes the fork ride kind of harsh, not plush. So I was thinking changing the compression oil would help .

Live 2 Ride

Nov. 16, 2008, 1:13 p.m.

When was the last time you had your 66 serviced?

Nov. 16, 2008, 2 p.m.

When was the last time you had your 66 serviced?

this is a damn good question. how many hours on the fork since the last service?

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Nov. 16, 2008, 2:42 p.m.

i had a 07 66 rv and right from the get go it bottom easy, got the boys at marz to play with and no matter what oil level,air pressure it just bottom easy thats just the way it was so i got rid of it.

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

Nov. 16, 2008, 2:48 p.m.

Its been serviced, this bottoming problem became more of an issue after I had it serviced…..

Live 2 Ride

Nov. 16, 2008, 3:30 p.m.

Zokies and bottoming out is a "working as intended" feature…

if u so much as look at anything steep a Zokie will bury itself deep in its travel..

Nov. 16, 2008, 9:35 p.m.

I run an 07 RV on my SX trail.
It took me some time to fine tune the air pressure but now the fork is tons of plush and I only very rarely bottoming out. I m more on the light side at 170 pounds. I found that removing all the air was making the fork too soft and the use of an high pressure pump was making it too harsh as you mention. So I kept removing the air along the ride by pressing on each stantions valve only for a quick pschhtt. It works great now but it could be because I don't know better ;)

Nov. 16, 2008, 10:58 p.m.

Its been serviced, this bottoming problem became more of an issue after I had it serviced…..

it's an older fork, no? could be the oil height is a little low, or try raising it a bit to try and up the progression.

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 17, 2008, 9:57 a.m.

I have an older 66rc, it seems to bottom too easily. Despite adjusting the air pressure it is either still bottoming or too harsh, can't get the air just right. I was thinking that maybe changing the fluid in the compression leg to a heavier weight would help to prevent the bottoming. Any one else out there have any experience similar to this.

the air on the 66RC is just preload i believe. crank the compression, if that fails then a new spring or a higher viscosity suspension fluid..

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Nov. 17, 2008, 6:06 p.m.

spoke to Naz today, he suggested adding some oil. I am going to switch it up to 10 weight and play with the oil level. Maybe chase after a pump that has a gauge for low pressure. As I understand it 5-15 psi in these large volume air forks makes a big differance.

Live 2 Ride

Nov. 17, 2008, 7:32 p.m.

spoke to Naz today, he suggested adding some oil. I am going to switch it up to 10 weight and play with the oil level. Maybe chase after a pump that has a gauge for low pressure. As I understand it 5-15 psi in these large volume air forks makes a big differance.

I've got 10w in my RC2X and no air and it feels really plush but never bottoms out harsh (it uses it's travel but never with a 'clunk'). …And yes, get a low pressure pump if you want to add hair.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 17, 2008, 7:35 p.m.

Did you ask Naz about using 10w?

Nov. 18, 2008, 5:58 p.m.

Ya when I spoke to him, he said to go with 10weight.

Live 2 Ride