Manitou Mattoc Pro

Nov. 27, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

Anyone got time on this fork? It kinda has me intrigued. Every review I've read is positive, and the performance vs dollar number I like. They are really cheap on CRC right now.

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:19 a.m.

me as well. almost bought one for my last build, but stumbled on a great deal on a pike. re-visiting this idea for the next bike. i've heard lots of good things, and the price is right. however - a little concerned about parts availability, and last time i looked, there was the distinct lack of a service guide.

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:34 a.m.

Lee Lau has put some time on one, hopefully he'll chime in.

I've had one since the beginning of this year and I love it, damping is great. There is local service with Zac Smith, I think he's up and running now with a mobile shop (or close to it). I haven't ridden any of the competition so my opinion is pretty limited.

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:54 a.m.

If you go on CRC you'll see they have all the spares available.

S4suspension in QC services them as well I think, but really forks are generally pretty straight forward to do yourself.

Nov. 27, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

S4suspension in QC services them as well I think, but really forks are generally pretty straight forward to do yourself.

Don't you have X-Fusion for life tattooed on your arm?

Nov. 27, 2015, 11:32 a.m.

Don't you have X-Fusion for life tattooed on your arm?

I still like the XFusion stuff but XF recently dropped the west coast distributor, whom I had a close relationship with. Although the product is top notch, service was the big part of that relationship.

That said, I'm sitting on a fork that I really like because of its performance and reliability. Without my west coast contact though, I figure I could look around at other forks. Plus, I've been using XF since 2010.

I have my Metric up for sale if anyone is interested ;)
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1885625/

I truly don't mind keeping it. I'm trying to lighten my bike a little, as a Mattoc (or Pike) is almost a pound lighter than the Metric. I am a little apprehensive though because the Metric has so many good things going for it, like stiffness, reliability, serviceability, and performance. So I'm not exactly in a rush to get rid of it.

Nov. 27, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

I still like the XFusion stuff but XF recently dropped the west coast distributor, whom I had a close relationship with. Although the product is top notch, service was the big part of that relationship.

That said, I'm sitting on a fork that I really like because of its performance and reliability. Without my west coast contact though, I figure I could look around at other forks. Plus, I've been using XF since 2010.

I have my Metric up for sale if anyone is interested ;)
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1885625/

I truly don't mind keeping it. I'm trying to lighten my bike a little, as a Mattoc (or Pike) is almost a pound lighter than the Metric. I am a little apprehensive though because the Metric has so many good things going for it, like stiffness, reliability, serviceability, and performance. So I'm not exactly in a rush to get rid of it.

Really, RCS is out of the picture? Just checked the website and its dead… when did that all go down? In any case you can't really go wrong with any of the 160mm travel forks on the market. Weight loss is always nice as long as performance stays high.

Nov. 27, 2015, 12:08 p.m.

Really, RCS is out of the picture? Just checked the website and its dead… when did that all go down? In any case you can't really go wrong with any of the 160mm travel forks on the market. Weight loss is always nice as long as performance stays high.

Went down recently, maybe a couple of weeks ago. Although, he is still doing warranty repairs for the remainder of the year. XF has upped their pricing by quite a lot to put them on par or more than the highest end forks on the market. The failing Canadian dollar has a lot to do with that I'm sure. I admit, part of the appeal to me was having good suspension that was less expensive. The Metric now comes in at ~$1800 msrp, which for a single crown is out to lunch if you ask me.

I'm sure every fork is good nowadays. I rode a Pike RCT3 solo air last summer and it was great, but probably a touch too soft for my weight though. I've always liked Manitou's damping, and at the price you can get them at, it seems like a low risk. I hope.

Nov. 27, 2015, 12:42 p.m.

Went down recently, maybe a couple of weeks ago. Although, he is still doing warranty repairs for the remainder of the year. XF has upped their pricing by quite a lot to put them on par or more than the highest end forks on the market. The failing Canadian dollar has a lot to do with that I'm sure. I admit, part of the appeal to me was having good suspension that was less expensive. The Metric now comes in at ~$1800 msrp, which for a single crown is out to lunch if you ask me.

I'm sure every fork is good nowadays. I rode a Pike RCT3 solo air last summer and it was great, but probably a touch too soft for my weight though. I've always liked Manitou's damping, and at the price you can get them at, it seems like a low risk. I hope.

let us know how it goes, I'm curious as well - I always liked manitou suspension except the intrinsic dampener, which was a bit of a flop IMO

Nov. 27, 2015, 3:17 p.m.

I have one, very stiff, very plush. Lateral stiffness is unreal.

The only disappointment is that I thought it had a burly enough crown assembly to avoid creaking. I was wrong.

Make sure to get the proper socket tool up front for taking off the lowers.

Nov. 27, 2015, 3:29 p.m.

I have one, very stiff, very plush. Lateral stiffness is unreal.

The only disappointment is that I thought it had a burly enough crown assembly to avoid creaking. I was wrong.

Make sure to get the proper socket tool up front for taking off the lowers.

Funny how many forks have creaking crowns now. That's one thing I like about the Metric - no creaks. I guess with 36mm stanchions, lowers from a dh fork, and a massive crown, the chances of creaking are less. Maybe I should just keep this fork. The only issue I have is that its 5lbs.

After reading a whole bunch of feedback from owners, I'm not sure if I want one now! hahaha…

Nov. 27, 2015, 3:47 p.m.

Zac Smith should be able to cover you for local service on all things Manitou.

Nov. 27, 2015, 6:02 p.m.

I had S4 rebuild a older manitou air evolver for me.They did an awesome job.

Nov. 27, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

I have had a Mattoc Pro on my Sight C for the last year and a half. It is set at 150mm travel.
The fork blows away my Lyric RC2 DH (2010) for how good the feel is. I do not think about the fork when riding cause it just works so well. Support, traction and eats the large bumps like there not there!
I ride as hard as my Sight will let me and have not had a squeek or creak come out of the crown.
Had a Pike for a few weeks and could not get along with it so had a bike shop bring in the Mattoc for me, very happy with my choice.
I do my own service, Manitou has good service guides on how to work on the fork on there website.

Nov. 30, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

I've been riding one since they came out. Zac is a good buddy of mine and I have ridden both a 26 and a 27.5 Mattoc (pro)for about a year and a half. I'm pretty sure he has a sprinter now and should be setup for mobile service/tuning. It's been, overall, an excellent and reliable fork. The tech is up to par if not better than any of the big companies.

I find especially useful to be able to tune the bottom out resistance. You can "cheat" on air pressure a bit if you crank it a couple clicks. It's also the best "rebounding" fork I've ever had. You can motor through choppy stuff and it keeps working really well and in a predictive manner; almost like a DH fork.

15mm axle is a bit of a hassle, but I've heard the newer ones have that solved. Also, the routing for the brake hose is perfect, you just need to figure out how to route it, as it's not as evident as on other forks!

Last thing: once you get the toolkit from Manitou, the fork is a pure joy to work on. Very simple and it takes 10w40 full syn motor oil so no overpaying for Fox or RS branded stuff.