Man I want a Chromag

July 4, 2018, 8:58 p.m.

If cash was no object; I'd consider a Naked

July 4, 2018, 9:18 p.m.

I like Chromags because they're local and have a tremendous reputation. Not cast in stone tho. Id consider something else if it made sense.
I wish that the Chromag's were about 3lbs lighter than they are as Id be hoping for a 25lb +/- bike and Ill need an absolutely killer build ($$$$) to get to that, possibly even with Ti.

But sure, if something else made sense Id look at. I'm looking for a bike that will do nasty climbs (No Quarter and then up higher) easier than an Enduro bike (I have an E29 and an overforked Endorphin) but will be a blast on the way down too on hard-tail appropriate trails of course. 

Mostly looking for modern slack geo, great quality, cool factor is important to me, and at a reasonable price! Id buy a well taken care of used bike too.

July 4, 2018, 9:23 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

JESUS! Too bad money is ALWAYS an object. Those look incredible. I must look into more. I hadn't seen those - thanks for that. Ill be priced out it seems but.....

July 5, 2018, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Posted by: Endur-Bro

JESUS! Too bad money is ALWAYS an object. Those look incredible. I must look into more. I hadn't seen those - thanks for that. Ill be priced out it seems but.....

Yeah, Sam has been making amazing bikes for a long time. Won many NAHBS best of show (he no longer tries as it took too much out of his regular bike building time) and lately he has been making new school HT's...and the craftsmanship is just amazing. It's been a dream of mine to own one for a while...but again, they are not cheap.

July 5, 2018, 9:04 a.m.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?  https://www.instagram.com/crimsonbike/?hl=en

July 5, 2018, 12:46 p.m.

Posted by: Hayden.Cameron

Didn't know that the factory guys were doing that. I went the pedal extender route too. Works no worries. Issi have a decent set. Interestingly (at least per the article below) the extenders don't actually increase q factor. 

https://rideissi.com/articles/stance-width-and-why-its-important

Either way I'm stoked to ride tomorrow. Enjoy the build pedal hound.

Yeah - you're right Q Factor was not what I was looking for there.

July 6, 2018, 10:06 a.m.

Re the Nakeds, they're certainly expensive, BUT if you buy just the steel frame you're an extra $1k over something like a steel surface, and you're still less than a Ti Surface. If its a "dream bike" for you, then an extra $1k doesn't seem too outrageous.

Where I think you blow your money on a Naked is if you spec a full bike with the components at full pop. I bet you could similarly spec their $8500 steel build for closer to $5k if you ducked and weaved on the components and hunted for online deals or new take-offs, and youre ending up with a bike that can run 29+ if you want.

Spotted two on the back of a car on Upper Levels this AM.

Last edited by: Ddean on July 6, 2018, 10:28 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 6, 2018, 11:09 a.m.

They are pretty neat, I can see the "forward geometry" models working well on the shore. Interesting that naked seem to promote the 29+. I can see the appeal going down but I don't know if I've got the horsepower (or will) to drag them up GSM day after day. I wonder how flexible they are design wise as the base price point, like could you say I want the shortest practical chainstays as possible for a 2.6 tires, and a BB height tall enough that I can drop down to a 2.3 without dragging the ground. 

Back on topic: rootdown is so hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck versus versatility.

July 6, 2018, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Back on topic: rootdown is so hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck versus versatility.

So it seems.

And I guess if you wanted the rolling diameter of a 29r with the width of the plus, you ride a 27.5+. My son rides 3s - great for confidence.

Last edited by: Ddean on July 6, 2018, 11:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 6, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

So it seems.

And I guess if you wanted the rolling diameter of a 29r with the width of the plus, you ride a 27.5+. My son rides 3s - great for confidence.

Yup. I have a chromag stylus with 2.6" 27.5 rubber. My goal was to split the difference and for me it works well. My wife has a plus bike and it's ok, definitely feels solid and grippy but it gets a little squirmy and vague when ridden hard. I do not like how they feel when pumped hard into a berm or g-out. Like they're going to fly off. Lol 

I have not ridden any of the 2.4-2.6 sized tires in 29". Maybe that is the ultimate...

July 6, 2018, 2:02 p.m.

I have not ridden any of the 2.4-2.6 sized tires in 29". Maybe that is the ultimate...

I have been on 29 2.4 Conti Trail Kings for a while now and just love them! Just picked up some new ones for the Rootdown build!

July 6, 2018, 10:20 p.m.

Re the Nakeds, they're certainly expensive, BUT if you buy just the steel frame you're an extra $1k over something like a steel surface, and you're still less than a Ti Surface. If its a "dream bike" for you, then an extra $1k doesn't seem too outrageous.

Where I think you blow your money on a Naked is if you spec a full bike with the components at full pop. I bet you could similarly spec their $8500 steel build for closer to $5k if you ducked and weaved on the components and hunted for online deals or new take-offs, and youre ending up with a bike that can run 29+ if you want.

Spotted two on the back of a car on Upper Levels this AM.

Frame only for myself.  No point in buying a complete to completely strip the frame; not worth the hassle of a parting out sale. 

I have a slightly off mainstream idea or two for the next two bikes I build.  A Naked would likely fit the bill.  First I'd need to get a proper demo ride in on the new Surface.

Aug. 2, 2018, 8:09 p.m.

Yup. I have a chromag stylus with 2.6" 27.5 rubber. My goal was to split the difference and for me it works well.

So, sort of subjective question here but, in thinking of going hrdtl, and given that somewheres else in these threads someone speculated that 29" wheels saved the hrdtl, how much do you figure 2.6" 27.5's give up to say, 29 x 2.3 in rollover, momentum etc?

What tyres you running?

Instead of swapping out the parts on my 27.5 full sus onto a Chromag and buying a full sus 29'er I thinking maybe put the fat rubber on the full sus 27.5 and buy a 29'er hrdtl.........hmmmmmmm

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 2, 2018, 10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 3, 2018, 9:21 a.m.

So it seems.

Or you could go bigger on 29 to 2.6 or bigger, depending on your available clearance.

Aug. 6, 2018, 11:28 p.m.

I looked at Naked a while ago. They have this upward curved top tube thing going on. My favorite thing about my bikes is the excellent stand over. It makes cornering and maneuvering so much sweeter. I never really liked the up curve on a MTB. A guy I worked with had a Merlin Paperboy that I never "got" either. Nice looking ride to pick up milk at the corner store though.