Man I want a Chromag

June 23, 2018, 7:22 p.m.

I rode with a couple friends the other day who both showed up with hardtails. One Surface and one  Ti Hummer. It got me thinking that in some zones - the loamy ones - a hardtail might be the bike of choice and a modern geo 29r hardtail might be a riot!

Modern geo on a 29r hardtail should be able to tackle a lot of what I ride. Certainly the loamy stuff but also the slow steep stuff. 

I’m thinking of adding one too. What’s the feedback from those who ride Rootdowns and Surfaces and similar on the shore? When you have good full suspension options as other bikes, do you still grab the hardtail?

June 23, 2018, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

in some zones -  - a hardtail might be the bike of choice 

Since I only ride pussified trails anymore I'm thinking transferring the kit off my Scout onto a Wideangle and running 2.6 tires might be all the rear sus I need.

June 23, 2018, 8:22 p.m.

I have used a ti honzo for the past few years. Love it. Got an evil insurgent this year and still prefer riding the honzo on many trails. 

The cromags have always been nice. My only advice is get something light. I had a canfield nimble 9 before, felt like an anchor compared to my ti honzo.

June 23, 2018, 9:40 p.m.

I have a 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson (160mm front/150mm rear) and a 2017 chromag stylus with 2.6" rubber and a 160mm fork. So pretty comparable set of bikes, both considered pretty top shelf options as far as shore riding goes.

I live on the shore and ride all over the lower mainland on both bikes, but I ride Seymour the most. I love the chromag for what it is, I ride it lots - what bike I pick really just depends on how I'm feeling and what I'm riding.

On fast flow trails there's no real difference. On slow tech trails there's also not much difference. On fast trails with chunk or lots of small drops like John deer or severed, the chromag is a handful and the Bronson makes mincemeat out of them. At least at my skill level. Obviously John deer is a simple trail and you could ride anything down it, but I can pretty much let go of the brakes and smash it on the Bronson. On the chromag I am just doing what I can to stay on the pedals. I feel little need to bring the Bronson to fromme, chromag is great, but I simply don't have the skill or risk tolerance to smash something like ladies at high speed so maybe that's why.

Not sure if that helps. I can say I feel fortunate to have two great bikes. If I could only have one of them... Yikes thats a tough one.

Last edited by: Kenny on June 23, 2018, 9:53 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 24, 2018, 7:25 a.m.

Thanks Tungsten, BAH and Kenny

That’s helpful forsure knowing that when there’s a good full suspension option you’re still grabbing the hardtail for some rides.  I figured the faster rough stuff would be off limits.

I’m digging the new hardtails. Big forks. 65degrees. Long. Seems that they be limited in terrain only to the extent you need rear wheel absorption. 

The weight factor is a something to think about. I can see how these frames could be keepers for life. A ti one might make a lot of sense.

June 24, 2018, 9:29 a.m.

I have been lusting over a green Chromag Rootdown for a while now.  I would build it up at 27.5+ and use it as the "fun" bike when I want to switch from my Jeffsy 29.  I figure it would make for a great winter bike too, and save my full sus pivots from additional wear. 

Anyways, that what I keep telling myself.  Don't know how to convince the wifey on this one...

June 24, 2018, 12:56 p.m.

Winter bike to save wear and tear costs on  the full suspension bike is a good tactic. I probably ride the chromag 3 or 4 out of 10 rides in the summer and 9 out of 10 in the winter. For me the chromag is not about speed (my FS bike will always be faster) so titanium and trying to make the bike light never had much appeal. I built it super bomb proof (35mm wide hope wheel set, 2.6 3c minions), fox 36) with a focus on have lots of traction in gross conditions and generally being a bike that needs minimal fussing around with. Just ride it. That's where they shine imo. 

I mainly ride my full suspension if I really feel like getting out and trying to go fast, or for an all-day epic type of ride, or if I'm heading out with a group of riders that I need every advantage I can get to keep up with. For an after work type of lap on the shore with no particular plan other than exploring the woods and some fresh air I take the chromag.

June 24, 2018, 3:44 p.m.

I'll sell you a wide angle :)

June 24, 2018, 4:26 p.m.

Just took my Surface Ti out for its third ride.  Still fine tuning the fit, the fork, offsets and bar widths.  Overall, the bike is better than I expected and I have no regrets.  Surprisingly, compared to my other bike (8' Knolly Podium) I find no lack of riding enjoyment.  The up is certainly better, and yes, I can't do the biggest drops but I don't feel I am missing anything.  I guess you really do get what you pay for, and I wholeheartedly endorse a Chromag.

June 24, 2018, 4:26 p.m.

Just took my Surface Ti out for its third ride.  Still fine tuning the fit, the fork, offsets and bar widths.  Overall, the bike is better than I expected and I have no regrets.  Surprisingly, compared to my other bike (8' Knolly Podium) I find no lack of riding enjoyment.  The up is certainly better, and yes, I can't do the biggest drops but I don't feel I am missing anything.  I guess you really do get what you pay for, and I wholeheartedly endorse a Chromag.

June 24, 2018, 5:09 p.m.

Who's the Australian Chromag distributor?

Last edited by: thaaad on June 24, 2018, 5:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 24, 2018, 6:22 p.m.

I got a new hardtail this spring. Santacruz Chameleon with a custom build kit. 140 travel Fox 36 and XO1 drive train, Guide brakes with big rotors dropper and nice 27.5 wheels with fat 2.8 minions. What I find is that geometry is more important than suspension travel. My other bike is a 160 150 Bronson with a very similar build kit. It is faster I guess but I ride the same trails at similar speeds.  The hardtail can be a bit bouncy at times but the tires do offer a fair bit of compliance. Super fun in any case. And the rear triangle never needs service. Never gets loose and creaks.

June 24, 2018, 7:17 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

June 24, 2018, 7:28 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I have an OG Surface.  Would love to get something similar but with much longer front end, slacker HTA, steeper STA, maybe longer stays...

June 24, 2018, 7:35 p.m.

not cromag but another option is to roll yer own with Paul Brodie. one of the bro's up here went down and built his own 29 HT, paint is not included so he did some kind of ghetto clear coat ...looks cool