Maintenance Schedules for Bikes and Components

July 22, 2011, 12:21 p.m.

Wondering how you guys track required and completed maintenance, especially when you have a couple of bikes with totally different component sets. I'm a software developer and been contemplating building a web app to handle (amongst other things) these features but would rather use an existing solution if there's other options already available.

Thanks.

July 22, 2011, 12:24 p.m.

if it's making weird noises or performing sub-par, check it out

if it's broken, fix or replace it

can't see an app doing much for bike maintenance and repair but to be fair i'm not very interested in the idea so may be missing something obvious and potentially positive

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 22, 2011, 12:56 p.m.

Wondering how you guys track required and completed maintenance, especially when you have a couple of bikes with totally different component sets. I'm a software developer and been contemplating building a web app to handle (amongst other things) these features but would rather use an existing solution if there's other options already available.

Thanks.

"telephone sanitizer" - don't be one.

July 22, 2011, 1:16 p.m.

if it aint' broke, don't fix it. if it is, fix it.

good idea though if you're really :nerd: about this sort of thing (ryhmes with giggles)

July 22, 2011, 1:26 p.m.

If you want to build it for yourself or to share - cool! If you want to market it, there is likely not much of a demand.

For existing, you could check the manuals for your bike and it's components and whip up a spreadsheet kinda thing.

July 22, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

if it aint' broke, don't fix it. if it is, fix it.

good idea though if you're really :nerd: about this sort of thing (ryhmes with giggles)

I don't follow a maintenance schedule, I just fix what isn't working right. I just have a lower tolerance for squeaks and creaks than others.

Also, I know about the importance of pivot bearing maintenance ;)

July 22, 2011, 1:35 p.m.

one of my favorite about being an ex-mechanic is that i can keep a running inventory of things that are wrong with my bike in my head, and monitor them passively, without having to be anal or go crazy trying to find perfect solutions… the ability (wrt to bikes) to let that which doesn't really matter slide

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 22, 2011, 1:52 p.m.

as a professional mechanic, I just keep an "scheduled" eye on 2 things on my own bikes

chain stretch (using the park chain checker)

fork service intervals (scribble it down on the back of the fork oil packaging) but this varies depending on how much use bike has had, and and what conditions its been ridden

the rest can wait until performance of the bike has degenerated - if gears don't shift, tires are worn, or bearing starts clicking

I'd usually bleed brakes with fresh fluid if I've been overseas on vacation and have dropped alot of vertical, as the fluid is gonna be burned ;)

July 22, 2011, 3:52 p.m.

While suspension service intervals should be followed to keep things working tidy, why ignore stuff until it rattles or breaks? Set up your own service intervals and stick to them, then you have no surprises. I personally do a quick bike check after every ride. A quick check of the wheels, headset, drivetrain, brakes and suspension for play only takes a few minutes. I check the chain for wear at least once/month and replace before it stretches significantly. Longer term I will tear apart the bearings in my wheels, BB and suspension at least 2-3 times a year regardless of perceived wear and regrease/replace as necessary. Its a small price to pay for piece of mind and a quiet bike. Maybe I am anal but it works for me.

July 22, 2011, 10:04 p.m.

I think that you could attempt to set service intervals for things like suspension, brakes, and pivots. The rest of your maintenance should arise from a weekly check over list (chain checker, derailleur alignment, and some dis assembly/inspection). There should be a pre-ride checklist you stick to before each individual ride as well, but its a short list and thats something I would hope you have already mastered.

thinkin bout bikes

July 24, 2011, 7:20 p.m.

If you want to build it for yourself or to share - cool! If you want to market it, there is likely not much of a demand.

For existing, you could check the manuals for your bike and it's components and whip up a spreadsheet kinda thing.

Good idea - I was actually originally thinking "Man, I wish there was a way to keep all of the manuals [HTML_REMOVED] tech docs for a specific bike build in the same place and accessible". It seems that whenever I need something like the setup for a specific fork I have trouble finding the manual online, or it's not there anymore.

July 26, 2011, 1:43 p.m.

the thing with bike maintanence, much like car stuff, is it depends how you ride it/drive it.

Would you change the oil on a race car on the same intervals as when you changed the oil on your daily commuter?

No.

So why would you maintain your DH race bike the same as your commuter?

A long weekend in whistler bike park is likely worth a scheduled check up, where as you could ride your bike to work for 3 months and not look at it.

It all depends on use, abuse, and conditions.

If I spend 4 days in a row in whistler i'm gonna redo my fork oil and bleed my brakes. I know its going to be shot, or close to it, and I know everything is going to need a thorough cleaning and upkeep.

Knowing the signs of when things need to be serviced early on is important to not letting it get so bad its grinding, binding, creaking and seizing.

yes i still ride a bike…rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated