Magura MT5/Trail/MT7 questions

July 1, 2020, 8:51 p.m.

I have one set of MT trail sports and 3 sets of the Trail SL's. They are all fantastic. Just make sure you don't overtighten the bar clamp and they will spin out of the way in a crash. The clamp design works well for this purpose, they seem to stay put nicely but break away and spin easily when necessary.

I use the nukeproof pads from CRC. They are very cheap and I have had no problems with any of the compounds but can't recall which ones I actually like best. probably semi-metallic?

July 1, 2020, 9 p.m.

Have the Kool stop red in my mt trail sports and they are great. I'm not sure what type of pads the brakes came with from the factory, but they wore out very quickly, which is really what precipitated the change. I plan to keep running the Kool stops for sure.

Last edited by: Kenny on July 1, 2020, 9:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

I went all in on MT7s front and rear with a 200 and 180 at the rear. I used to run 200 in the back but I always seemed to be bending the rear rotor sometimes. I figured that the larger rotor combined with klutziness was knocking it. So far so good. The pads are 'race' compound and they bed in well but I know that they aren't going to last as long as other pads but I'm happy with the stronger braking force.

Shimano icetech rotor up front and centerline at the rear in the name of comparisons.

Beforehand I had Code RSCs and they are really great brakes : lively, smooth and good ramp up on modulation but I always preferred the levers that Shimano have and the slightly lighter feel of their systems. I just didn't gel with the manner that they did the stopping with. But that's all personal preference.

Jeff Bryson installed the front brake as the hose was too short and I have no first hand experience of bleeding Magura systems, yet. The rear needed a trim and was very easy to re-install - I will definitely miss the bleeding edge port on the Codes when it comes time to bleed though.

They have lived up to expectations and price. I like the lever feel and the modulation is smooth, consistent and ramps up well for me. The first test outing was hooning around on the Braemar side of Fromme using Lower Expresso, Pennzoil, lower Digger as baselines and then finally dropping into lower Boundary to see how well it could they could keep a consistent slow speed when crawling down steep wooden features on a rainy day.

My crappy finger joints are a lot more pleased with the hook on the lever and when my index joints get too aggravated it's nice to know I can two finger brake if needed.

It does take a little while to get used to the upper end of the braking modulation but that would be the same kind of learning curve I'd expect from any new brake system.

July 3, 2020, 11:49 a.m.

I think you’ll find that they are very simple to bleed.

July 3, 2020, 12:17 p.m.

I'm not expecting too much grief when I get round to it. There look to be a few extra steps to get right after years of Shimano/SRAM bleeding - the codes have to be the easiest things I've ever had to deal with and once I get a new bleed kit in from the UK I'll drill the hole and get stuck in.

Weirdly, I hate slippy, slippy mineral oil and prefer DOT for clean up. But that's me.

Aug. 24, 2020, 9:27 p.m.

anyone ever have oil leak from under the cover on the MT trails when bleeding them? Does that mean a crack?

Aug. 25, 2020, 4:44 a.m.

Haven't had it, but read about it on the German forums. Doesn't have to be a crack, could also be a damaged reservoir seal, possibly from overfilling.

Aug. 25, 2020, 9:35 a.m.

Hi, anyone can tell what justifies the big price difference between MT5 and MT7 ?

Thanks.

Aug. 25, 2020, 4:16 p.m.

Made in Asia/Germany. Lever hook feels fine on the MT5's, go for it. 

Can run your old 1.8mm rotors till they wear. Feel's the same as 2mm.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Aug. 25, 2020, 5:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 25, 2020, 6:21 p.m.

Yes, I bought my first set in 2016 !

All my bikes have MT5, event my commuter ; best way to stop me and my son in the trailer ...

I changed the pads to MT7 and lever to HC1. I love them !

I was just wondering, because the price difference is big.

Jan. 4, 2021, 10:38 p.m.

Just had a weird problem with a new MT-5 brake, the lower bleed port screw (there's 2 because they are reversable) needed to be loosened and tightened again before it sealed. 

Just a heads up might be worth checking for anyone getting undiagnosable bubbles during a bleed.

Jan. 5, 2021, 7:02 a.m.

Never had that issue but good to know. I have the trail sports on my trail bike and love the feel so much that I have considered replacing my Codes on my big bike with some mt5’s or 7’s. Super easy to bleed as well.

Jan. 5, 2021, 10:36 p.m.

I'm done with the Magura plastic levers, going to go for Shiguras with some old XTR servo-wave levers. I was told non-servo is ideal? Can't seem to find any though.

So, Shimano olive on Magura hose with Magura barb I take it...

Jan. 5, 2021, 11:20 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I'm done with the Magura plastic levers, going to go for Shiguras with some old XTR servo-wave levers. I was told non-servo is ideal? Can't seem to find any though.

Im running all shimano hardware on the magura hose. The size is basically the same.

Jan. 5, 2021, 11:26 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Broke in a crash or just wore out and failed? What exactly failed? I have a few sets of MT brakes, wondering what I may have to look forward to.