Magura MT5/Trail/MT7 questions

March 12, 2021, 3:54 p.m.

Anyone have experience with miles racing pads for magura? 

https://www.milesracing.us/

March 13, 2021, 10:52 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Two month Shigura review if anyone looking to do this (I've substituted "master cylinder" for "lever" it just seems less confusing): 

I don't think this setup would have worked with servo-wave levers, I've got the non-servo XTR race levers and the power is Saint level ludicrous. Similar immediacy and light lever action. My Maguras had plenty of power, but required a squeeze to find it, resulting in gobs of modulation but also sometimes sore hands after long runs. I've had noticeably happier hands with the Shiguras.

The bite point on my Shigura setup has been consistent like it was with Magura levers, the first time I've had 100% consistent bite point with a Shimano lever in 5 years. 

The pads retract better on my particular setup for some reason too. It might be because I lubed the pistons with brake fluid, but the pads have stopped dragging all together for the first time in the 2 years I've been running Magura calipers. It was never a huge problem before, just occasional re-aligning and maybe lubing, but now it's just gone.

The biggest A to B difference I noticed besides the bump in power is just how flexible the plastic Maguras were. It didn't bother me when I was running them, but they felt like toys compared to the current Shimano XTR race levers. (Which aren't even all that stiff as far as Shimano goes).

Parts list for RAH or anyone building up a set of Shiguras: •Non-servo Shimano levers, •Magura MT-5 or 7 calipers, •Magura hose, olive, barb. (Magura hose is slightly different outside and inside diameter than Shimano, pins and olives not cross compatible).

Tried Shimano and Magura fluid, Magura fluid seemed maybe better on my setup, but that could've also just been a fluke.

MT-5 lever was 71g, XTR lever 65g. Saint lever I had sitting here was 106g for reference.

Thanks again for posting all the info and experience with the shigura set up. My maguras are all running well so have no plans to do this yet but I have a set of xt levers set aside for the moment one of my plastic levers fails. They are servo wave, so that will be interesting.

March 13, 2021, 3:58 p.m.

No problem. 

I did it just for the experiment of it, but I think they ended up being the best brakes I've ever had. 

The Shimano vs Magura pin and olive thing took me like 3 days of unsuccessful bleeds to figure out lol.

May 5, 2021, 9:27 a.m.

Anyone know who carries parts for magura in the LM?

Last edited by: Mike.T on May 5, 2021, 9:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2021, 9:41 a.m.

Posted by: Mike.T

Anyone know who carries parts for magura in the LM?

Any shop who deals with Orange Sports Supply, as they are the local distributor. Not sure what current inventory levels are.

Jan. 18, 2022, 8:27 a.m.

After a lifetime on Saint's I'm going to give the MT7's a try. 

Can anyone comment on the different pads and which one would work best for the bike park?  Are the R's the best?  Or P's?

Jan. 18, 2022, 9:50 a.m.

I always used 'race' as I could care less how long they lasted.

Jan. 18, 2022, 9:53 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

I always used 'race' as I could care less how long they lasted.

Same, and that's what I'm leaning towards.

Jan. 18, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

They were excellent from the get-go. First outing was riding down Boundary in the wet so as far as exacting feel and feathering they were worth the money I paid. They got better and better with more riding and fast stops were never an issue but for me it was how well I could modulate that force, which is always down to the personal feel, not the mechanics - although I'm also wondering how close MT5s would have been. It's academic for me though as I switched to Dominions last year as I sold the bike I had the MT7s on and I'm as happy with them.

Jan. 19, 2022, 10:21 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

After a lifetime on Saint's I'm going to give the MT7's a try. 

Can anyone comment on the different pads and which one would work best for the bike park?  Are the R's the best?  Or P's?

Like others I go with the R. They don’t last as long but they are oh so excellent. 

I did try the Miles Wide pads and I don’t know if I bedded them in wrong but I was very unimpressed. Had to take them off during a whistler trip

Jan. 20, 2022, 1:50 p.m.

I ordered some Trickstuff Power pads as a backup. Haven't needed to use them yet but it's a sintered/organic mix and claimed to be pretty powerful. Not sure but trust Trickstuff, so should be OK?