Magnetic Pedals

Nov. 19, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

10% backed. that's surprising

looking at the comment threads for a few old projects, it's not that surprising. it would be interesting (maybe it already exists?) if kickstarter generated reports or charts for projects re. when funding was committed, how much by whom, what actually materialized, etc. my sense is that a lot of the funding for projects that "succeed" comes from the people putting the project forward, or the friends and family they strongarm into contributing to their idea, to keep the dream and the story alive

this is a good example:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xeko/xeko

looks like almost 1000 people put up $250k to make the project a go, but according to the proponent:

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that we made off with $257,870, let us be clear that nearly all of the donations came not from Xeko players, but from the friends and families of the members of our company. Contrary to what we believed going into this project, the number of Xeko players able or willing to support this project was less than about 40 people.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 20, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

I don't know much about kickstarter. Don't they have to give the money back if they don't do the project? I know some projects you get things for your donations over a certain level. Do those commitments just get trashed if the project doesn't go?

Edit: Never mind, I read the FAQ on kickstarter