Magic mary

Dec. 29, 2015, 4:40 a.m.

Guys any experience on magic mary? Is it the best all around tyre, as most magazine reviews indicate?
How is its rolling resistance? Much worse than dhf or dhr2?

Dec. 29, 2015, 6:57 a.m.

Depends ;-)

It offers more grip, yet it also rolls worse both than the DHF and DHR.
Forget it as a rear tire. Wears out in no time and doesn't roll.

And in my experience the supersoft compounds aren't needed. Trailstar strikes a good balance for Enduro riding.

It is a great front tire. I really like the cornering bite.

In the end it is just a tire. Not a game changer :)

Dec. 29, 2015, 7:27 a.m.

It's like cheating on soft conditions, but on harder trail surfaces (i.e. most of Fromme and Seymour), I find Minion-like tires have more cornering bite.

Dec. 29, 2015, 8:07 a.m.

Way too much rolling resistance. My bike came with Mary and a Hans. Chucked them and got Butcher front and Slaughter rear. Best tires.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Dec. 29, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

Ive not ran them but my buddy who races swears magic mary up front and nobby nic on the rear…
We live on the shore fyi so this is where he uses it.
I use dhf 2.3 3c up front dhr2 3c out back and love that combo. Works well fro me in all conditions here.
Although 3c wear out fast in summer on the rear…

Dec. 29, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

I used them for close to 60 days in the park this year.

I like them a lot. I bought more from bike-discount when the got some in (get on their notification list and as soon as you get the email buy them that second.. they're gone as soon as they arrive).

That said, I'm going to give the Nick a go on the rear if we get a no-rain summer again.

Dec. 29, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

I used them for close to 60 days in the park this year.

I like them a lot. I bought more from bike-discount when the got some in (get on their notification list and as soon as you get the email buy them that second.. they're gone as soon as they arrive).

That said, I'm going to give the Nick a go on the rear if we get a no-rain summer again.

My bud REALLY likes the 2015 beefed up version of the nic vs old one..

Dec. 29, 2015, 10:01 p.m.

I figured out that they wear out so fast 'cause the way the shoulder knobs oriented they weak fold over and wear from the side run them bass-ackwards knobs last long longer longest.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 29, 2015, 10:10 p.m.

I figured out that they wear out so fast 'cause the way the shoulder knobs oriented they weak fold over and wear from the side run them bass-ackwards knobs last long longer longest.

I think that's just a super-tacky thing.

The side knobs on my Minion DHF's last just as long as the MM's.

Dec. 29, 2015, 10:11 p.m.

My bud REALLY likes the 2015 beefed up version of the nic vs old one..

Nice.. That said, I really hope we get some rain this summer. I prefer warm slop as opposed to scalding dust.

Dec. 29, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

I hear ya. ..

Dec. 30, 2015, 12:45 a.m.

ditto. coastal riding is best when it feels more, er, coastal than parched. last summer was so hot i couldn't even ride for a spell.

Dec. 30, 2015, 9:57 a.m.

Been running a MM up front for almost year. Burn't through a EXO 3C DHF upfront, then on back in no time before that. I tried a new version NN on the back and it was okay for drier conditions and do roll fast than the HD, but also don't provide as much grip on wet or greasy rock or wood.

Have a new MM in the parts bin waiting to go on, but the old one still seems to be doing just fine.

Used to be more of a Maxxis fan, but like the Schwalbe stuff a little better now. Perhaps will give the new DHR a try next summer, but still have one HD and one new version NN in the parts bin.

Haven't tried the Specialized tires, but most seem to like them and the price is usually cheaper then others, so that might be the next one to try.

Dec. 31, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

I picked up a MM for the front of my trail bike. The Trailstar compound is fine for summer riding, but I find it too hard for wetter, colder conditions on the shore. The harder compound has gotten me into trouble a few times. Wish I was able to get the Vertstar, but it was sold out at the time.

The MM tread pattern is great for aggressive charging of steep, loose lines. It's a bit washy on hardpack surfaces, but that's not what it's made for.

Dec. 31, 2015, 3:29 p.m.

That's a great point Ryan.. I ran the folding bead, Super Gravity VertStars last year.