Mace helmets? Helmets for small heads?

July 5, 2010, 12:08 a.m.

Hey, any recommendations for full face helmets in small sizes?
So far, I like the fit of a small Mace…should it fit pretty snug on the cheekbones? Mace seems to fit closer to the face… is it good as others?

July 5, 2010, 7:48 a.m.

oneal has smalls and xsmall sizes, bell drop in a small is also good for small heads, kali's smalls size fits like an xsnall so that also would be worth checking out

July 5, 2010, 11:05 a.m.

thx! who has oneal? and bell never fit… i'm wondering about the mace helmets tho, they seem to be quite a bit shorter, like the mouthguard area doesn't come out so far as tld, giro, etc. Anyone have experience with them?
And how much is lightness a factor? Still using a regular helmet, so they all seem so heavy!

July 5, 2010, 1:46 p.m.

I recently borrowed a Mace helmet for a day. It fit ok, but the small opening tried to peel my ears off taking it off and putting it on. While riding, it kept pushing down over my eyes because of too much material going on behind the neck… had to stop every few minutes to push it out of the way to see. The mouthguard was really close to my face… the plastic deflector thingy would press into my cheeks. Crappity crap crap crapness.

July 5, 2010, 4:52 p.m.

NSBS has some really nice THE carbon helmets in sizes XS and S right now.

July 5, 2010, 5:28 p.m.

A friend just got a THE for her small head, says it fits/feels great. Nice design, plus the materials and construction look like top quality.

July 5, 2010, 6:51 p.m.

specialized deviant helmets seem to fit really small

July 5, 2010, 7:40 p.m.

well all I can list is NOT GIRO haha I have a big head.
661 I find fits pretty short and snug and is widely available, Id try that one out.

Keep in mind some companies dont have as many shell sizes as others, for example they might have just 2 shell sizes with multiple pad thicknesses to make up multiple sizes.
Just try and find out because it would give you a better idea wich ones will "pack out" vs wich helmets are just snugger by design.

July 5, 2010, 11:20 p.m.

thx for the suggestions here on the small head thread. interesting about the shell sizes, something i will check into… i was wondering about the snugness of Mace, it is pretty tight to get on and off.
So, how close should a helmet fit when you first get it? How close on the cheekbones/sides etc?? I'm starting to feel a little underprotected on fromme, esp when riding with cross-country oriented friends.

July 6, 2010, 1:25 a.m.

I have a MACE that i picked up as I like you have a small head. I find it fits great and I had no real issues with it. I wore it for about 5 hours straight at Washington for opening day and it was fairly easy to take apart to clean and put back togeather as well. It was only $75 which was an added bonus and fairly light since it is so small.

July 6, 2010, 12:36 p.m.

just buy what firts best… try them all out. i apparantly have an oddly shaped head as most helmets fit me too loose around the back of my head, most helmets want to flip up on me. you should be able to grab the helmet and push your head from side to side without the helmst twisting around, and to a lesser extent pushing up and down on the helmet without it sliding. keep in mind too that it will pack in and too snug is a lot better than loose

July 7, 2010, 4:26 p.m.

OK, am i excited! I soaked up all your valuable input, and voila!
i have got myself an O'neil Fury XS, as soon as i tried it on, i knew it was the one for me. AND bonus! was only $150.00! Seems comparatively light, and even tho the THE helmets are 300 down from 500, the fit and comfort and good looks sold me. So, now the big question is, where to take it for it's first ride?!?
Thanks for all the info.