Lyrik compression damping

April 4, 2009, 1:42 p.m.

I recently procured a Lyrik solo air for my big bike in the hopes that the mission control damping would help with the diving tendency of the older 66 it is replacing. As in, my understanding of the high-speed compression damping is that it kicks in and "firms" up the motion when you hit somethin' real hard-like, relieving you of the requirement to have a rock hard spring or sky-high air pressure. And that the low-speed would keep the brake dive minimal.
Ok, so I've had the fork for a few months and the compression damping doesn't seem to do SFA when you dial in one or both of the compression knobs from zero to hero. Yeah, there is a difference, but it is so slight as to be almost imperceptible to the typical human. And with both compressions to full "hard" and the air spring pump up to over the recommended range for my weight, I can still bottom it out going off a curb.
I had it serviced recently, complete oil change with a heavier weight oil and a clean bill of health from mechs I trust, and while the overall motion is gushier and more viscous in general, there just isn't the range of feeling in those adjustments. The shop dudes swear that's what they are supposed to feel like.
The rebound does what you expect, makes a big difference from open to close in the rebound speed.
So, my questions are:
1) Am I misunderstanding what these dials and knobs are supposed to do?
2) Am I expecting too much out of them?
3) Do these properties really come out only when thrashing down a gnarly hill at 60kph?
4) Did I blow a hole in $$$ for overhyped damping system?
4a) Should I chase down a warranty from my home LBS?
5) Are lyriks just like that, smoke a bowl and get over it?

thanks!

Chirp

April 4, 2009, 2:14 p.m.

what's your weight and what psi are you running?

April 4, 2009, 6:18 p.m.

170lbs
70psi
This has nothing to do with spring preload, boosting the preload is how I avoided diving with my old fork and what I don't want to do so long as fancy dampers are supposed to do the job.

Chirp

April 4, 2009, 8:10 p.m.

theres your problem. I am 175lb without gear, i ran 110psi(115 is max) when i had the lyrik.
your damping's not going to prevent you for that difference in preload, if it did, it would surely blow in the near future.
I found with 70-80psi, i was diving too much on chunky section, and i would bounce around too much.
Even with 110psi, it will feel stiff initially, if you look at your fork in action, you will see that it will actually use all of its travel. I hit a decent sized drop last month, and it felt smooth as a curb.
I had my compression about half way, and high-speed compression 80-90[HTML_REMOVED]#37; good luck.
i'd run 100psi if i were you good luck.

April 4, 2009, 8:37 p.m.

I'm almost 200# and run ~80psi. My LSC and HSC dials work wonders. I can tell the difference with every click. Even so, I think I am going to up the pressure a bit. I seem to be bottoming a bit too often.

If you are going by the recommended pressure chart on the fork leg - don't. It is WAY off for the trails around here.

If your adjusters are not doing anything, perhaps it is time you give James at Suspensionwerx a call? (edit: nevermind, just bump up the preload, then things will be right)

April 4, 2009, 11:51 p.m.

165 lbs, now running 90psi in my lyric 2 step, 2 clicks high speed, 2 clicks low, 1 turn floodgate. Seems to do the trick for both diving and bottoming. My adjustments also work quite well. I can't tell the difference so much with 1 click, but 2 definitely.

April 5, 2009, 10:36 a.m.

Thanks for the responses, I guess I was expecting too much out of the damping alone. I'll try the higher pre-load and see how the damping feels then. this ties in with option 5.
Max

Chirp

April 5, 2009, 7:44 p.m.

man i'm 160 and run 100psi and bottom out some times. add air!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

April 5, 2009, 9:36 p.m.

i had the totem and it was totally the same. the floodgate seems to be what really makes the difference. in the manual it says "heavier" riders should crank up the floodgate until the fork is firm enough and does not bottom easily. the rest of the knobs (h/s and l/s) ,except rebound as previously mentioned, do sfa!

now i have a 888 and it is butter in comparison but a tad (ahem!) heavier.