low front end out of style?

July 5, 2011, 10:27 a.m.

if they are still running the boobar, it's probably 30mm, so not much more then 1"
anyhow, for me 1" is a pretty perfect rise, not too low, not high either, OSX ftw :agree:

July 5, 2011, 10:38 a.m.

Original article

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 5, 2011, 11:55 a.m.

So many variables. Not one set up is the holy grail.

July 5, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

So many variables. Not one set up is the holy grail.

B-I-N-G-O!!

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

July 5, 2011, 3:44 p.m.

Original article

He's just doing it to help resale value at the end of the season. Money's tight right now, ya know.

July 5, 2011, 4:13 p.m.

Its all in relation to your bike's BB height and your size. I see tall guys with super low front ends and they just don't look comfy on their bikes, but hey, trendy stuff always wins out.

I'd say it's more all about personal fit and preference.

I'm 6'6" with a relatively short inseam compared to long torso and arms. A tall front end makes it hard for me to balance my weight, I end up with too much weight on the back. I run 30-inch bars slammed down on a short stem, I feel more balanced and it lets me weight the front easily. With my long reach I have no problem shifting my weight back.

I can imagine if I was the opposite (short reach and long legs) I'd have to get the bars higher.

Low front end, wide bars and short stems might be trendy (or not) but it's not why I'm using them.

July 5, 2011, 6:35 p.m.

half inch rise, 29.25" width is my setup that i will continue to use till my body gives out

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

July 5, 2011, 8:25 p.m.

We also have to remember that as bars got wider many riders didn't bring their front end up which made their position low. It looks like they're finally finding a middle ground in bar height and width.

BTW, Steve Peat's setup is actually pretty low when you compare his bar height to some of the shrimps on the WC circuit.

July 5, 2011, 9:26 p.m.

I run a 30" wide Atlas FR bar and tried my Atlas FR direct mount stem in the lowest position….I am 6'2", 225lbs and found I had too much weight on the nose over drops and off jumps. It was scary at times :lol:

Going to back my old Holzfeller direct mount stem with more rise seemed to help.

July 6, 2011, 7:02 a.m.

Original article

it's stated under the picture that he raised his bars because of a wrist injury.
the bars look like 25-30mm rise to me, so hardly high rise, probably the 30mm boobars?

Feb. 9, 2012, 2:05 p.m.

Due to back problems I prefer my bars unfashionably high. Riser bar, lots of spacers, stem with significant rise. Mind you I'm on an xc bike so maybe when I get something with longer travel or a 29er there will be an inherently higher stack height and I won't have to do what it is I do on me bikeski.

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 9, 2012, 3:20 p.m.

low front ends are only out of style if you're not a hardman.

you should SLAM that shit… :agree:

http://slamthatstem.com/

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 9, 2012, 4:08 p.m.

low front ends are only out of style if you're not a hardman.

you should SLAM that shit… :agree:

http://slamthatstem.com/

I'm so soft I should be renamed Flacido Domingo.

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 9, 2012, 7:25 p.m.

It depends a lot on rider size and riding style. I did some testing around in 2010 with a really low front end. I found I had to shift my weight back more for descending, but then if you hit a section of steep into a corner (which is a pretty common scenario on a dh course) my weight was back so then I had to immediatly shift my weight forward, which sometimes was awkward and difficult to do. Also weighting the front end was sketchier if there were holes or drops in the corners because my weight was too front biased, making me feel like I was going to go over the bars more.

I then tried it higher, and found I was shifting my weight less front and back and kept my weight centered, and was able to weight both tires evenly. Basically this makes you fight the bike less, which in my opinion is what you are trying to do when setting up your bike.

Feb. 10, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

going back to the early days?

here in the UK the first commercially available non-shimmed (Renthal) riser bar was the "Club Roost"

this is one of the first ever shipped into the UK, fitted to my Bombproof D-1 race bike with the AMP Research rear suspension, this photo is from early 1993

as well as the increased rise, the extra width (cannot remember exactly…there were discussions whether we should cut them down?) was a very nice surprise after years of narrow flat bars (including my Syncros flat bars which I loved on my XC race bike)!!

geometry was crazy slack for 1993 which was causing all kinds of discussions in the company about finishing kit (bar, stem, etc.)