low front end out of style?

July 4, 2011, 12:19 p.m.

I would be very interested in seeing what every rider would prefer to ride. On a sidenote, what is the point of riser bars? And don't say to raise the riding position because the same could be accomplished with a flat bar and spacers under the stem.

Well that's a difficult question. What was the first MTB riser? Insane Wayne and his Club Roost riser bar? The riser bar came to mountain biking because people realized that an XC riding position didn't really work for everything. The riser bar brought you up an inch or so without required a crazy high rise stem or a whole bunch of spacers under your stem. From then until a few years ago, every DH strength bar was a riser bar.

So, yes, there are other ways to get the right height. A whole bunch of spacers under your stem probably isn't the best. A high rise stem probably isn't the best. A longer head tube probably isn't the best. But then again, adding a couple of bends to a part that used to be straight probably isn't the best, either. But it looks more moto, so it's better, no?

July 4, 2011, 12:41 p.m.

Well that's a difficult question. What was the first MTB riser? Insane Wayne and his Club Roost riser bar?

we had some of the first Club Roost bars in the UK, damn those things bent way too easily

before this, we had been using Renthal Trials (moto) bars with the crossbrace and pad, way too wide, but would not bend

Azonic risers followed the Club Roosts and proved much harder to bend, I only bent one at the Malvern Classic Dual Eliminator race in the UK after I messed up the bottom roadgap and my bike landed upside down on the bars

July 4, 2011, 12:41 p.m.

Well that's a difficult question. What was the first MTB riser?

Renthal were there back in the day. Moto bars with shims.

July 4, 2011, 12:45 p.m.

Also - on bar height. There should be 156mm (+/- 2mm) from the top of your lower crown to the top of the fork legs on Boxxers, so adjusting bar height while keeping your steering geo how you like it could be easier with a stem riser block or with a higher rise stem.

July 4, 2011, 1:03 p.m.

I remember back in the early 90's I saw a pic of Jan Oostergard (sp?) in an issue of MBA racing xc with upside down riser bars, that image has stuck in my mind all these years.

July 4, 2011, 2:10 p.m.

I remember back in the early 90's I saw a pic of Jan Oostergard (sp?) in an issue of MBA racing xc with upside down riser bars, that image has stuck in my mind all these years.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 4, 2011, 2:33 p.m.

Thank you sir

July 4, 2011, 3:20 p.m.

As a taller rider I will be glad to see the super low end thing die. So difficult to get my bars to the right height when so few companies make taller bars or stems with any rise.

Obviously a super low end is good for some people but damnit when manufacturers stop making a range of products.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 4, 2011, 3:39 p.m.

As a taller rider I will be glad to see the super low end thing die. So difficult to get my bars to the right height when so few companies make taller bars or stems with any rise.

Obviously a super low end is good for some people but damnit when manufacturers stop making a range of products.

don't cut steer tubes…spacers… higher front end….profit???

nobody is this dumb.

July 4, 2011, 4:24 p.m.

My first MTB, circa 1986 had risers, as did most back then. It was only when people became obsessed with racing around fields that flat bars became popular.

Anyway, Renthal made flat MTB bars 20 odd years ago so I'm sure they could make a 850mm metal broomstick if they wanted.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 4, 2011, 11:13 p.m.

My first MTB, circa 1986 had risers, as did most back then.

yep. when the one piece bullmoose bar / stems were replaced with separate pieces, riser bars were pretty much the standard. racey narrow flat bars then came into vogue and people tossed the risers as they were more associated with cheaper / recreational bikes. with the birth of tech / shore riding came the need for more appropriate rising positions, and the chopped flat bars hit the bins en masse. riser bars got taller [HTML_REMOVED] sillier (including bolt on braces, etc) before again getting lower (albeit wider) until we saw flat dh bars; now the trend has reversed yet once again. bar rise fashion is inexorably cyclical.

July 4, 2011, 11:24 p.m.

don't cut steer tubes…spacers… higher front end….flex!!!

fyp

longer (bigger) head tube ftw

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 4, 2011, 11:31 p.m.

tried the low thing. still kinda low but its nice to not have to be so low and aggro to weight the front end. i find a little higher i can relax a bit and still weight the front. ran protapers forever because they were the widest 28 as opposed to everyone elses 27. love the 31's now for everything (up,down,slow fast), little bike and big

July 4, 2011, 11:42 p.m.

Steven C is the shizat. You hear of C4 well bitches look at this I have C5! Go superpac :lol:

Back on topic

The low front end was meant for climbing ability and that is all imo. The tall front end came along as we rolled steeper and steeper. Thanks Pete M you helped formed the progression of mtb more then you could have imajined. The king of grumpy old men, you taught me more about rock work than my brain could absorb. Cheers to you and UOC!

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

July 5, 2011, 12:13 a.m.

Last pic I saw of Peaty and Minnar they were rocking 1"+ risers, drop crowns, and spacers under their stems to get the front end height up. Might be due to them being seven feet tall though

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.