looking for the ultimate travel mug

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:27 p.m.

need some help finding what i suppose is an nbr item, but at this time of year a hot coffee is nice to have in the pack for longer rides. but not on the pack, which brings me to the criteria i'm looking for:

• bomb proof seal
  • no "spill lip" in the chamber
  • no glued on bits that come loose/off
  • doesn't need a "sippy cap" - just on and off and seals perfectly
  • also, the cap can't have gaps and whatnot on the inside in which crap gets stuff and is impossible to properly clean, or it should be rebuildable so it can be thoroughly cleaned by hand
  • no handle or clipping, carabiner style handle (bonus if it can be folded down)
  • stainless steel
  • well insulated

went by mec today and was astounded at how simultaneously useless and expensive all of their travel mugs were - an observation that was shared by all of the staff i talked to, but apparently no one has bothered to tell their buyer? wtf

anyone have something they'd unhesitatingly recommend that hits all or most of the above criteria?

edit: forgot to mention that i'm a picky, picky bastard who has gone through a lot of different travel mugs. if there's a nit to pick with a particular model suffice to say i will pick/have picked it, and won't be shelling out for something i can foresee myself resenting. thanks for your recommendations and apologies in advance for the inevitable whinging!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:33 p.m.

Nissan Thermos bottle.

I thought Contigo was the current state-of-the-art for adult sippy cups?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:33 p.m.

i'm sitting in a coffee shop right now, polled the "baristas" and got the following recommendations.

jj bean's "bullet" but it only holds 6 oz

or a stanley travel mug. looks promising:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:34 p.m.

Nissan Thermos bottle.

had one. cap was impossible to clean thoroughly and got manky pretty quick. seal started failing after only a few weeks

I thought Contigo was the current state-of-the-art for adult sippy cups?

inaressin. they look a bit overdesigned but i like the fact that they sell the lids separately - so if the complex doodad parts fail or the seal goes you can replace it without replacing the cup… can i inspect/get one in vancouver or hereabouts (other than costco)?

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:37 p.m.

Check the evil empire known as Starbucks. I picked up a Stainless one from them over a year ago thats worked good. It has a tapered bulge 2/3 of the way up with an almost complete rubber ring for traction.

Failing that, London Drugs might have something

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:50 p.m.

Starbucks years ago made a mug like what Boom is looking for. I think they called it the Extreme and it was good. Had one it worked great then it went missing.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

i bought a starbucks mug for my brother in law and wasn't all that impressed with their selection, but there's one just up the street so maybe i'll double check this afternoon

london drugs was the mec'ers suggestion too, weird

Dec. 27, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

I have one like this. It is totally leak-proof and keeps drinks warm for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/16oz-Stainless-Steel-Backpack-Bottle/dp/B002J8VXPM/ref=pd_sim_hpc_4

Mine is at least 4 years old and still works great.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 27, 2011, 1:02 p.m.

I have one like this. It is totally leak-proof and keeps drinks warm for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/16oz-Stainless-Steel-Backpack-Bottle/dp/B002J8VXPM/ref=pd_sim_hpc_4

Mine is at least 4 years old and still works great.

took a look at one of those at mec today, can't remember what it was but something about it bugged me enough that it was a no sale… maybe the overcomplicated lid? good to know yours has been that reliable and durable

Dec. 27, 2011, 1:03 p.m.

had one. cap was impossible to clean thoroughly and got manky pretty quick. seal started failing after only a few weeks

For the record, I've been using one every day for at least four years. I'm talking about the classic screw top without any flip/pour mechanism, so not exactly a travel/sippy mug. I have no reason to believe that I won't be using this four years from now.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 27, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

For the record, I've been using one every day for at least four years. I'm talking about the classic screw top

ah sorry, i thought you meant the flippy top one. i've had a nissan thermos for years and agree that they're pretty great. i'm in the market for something smaller and more drinking-oriented to compliment it

Dec. 27, 2011, 1:36 p.m.

took a look at one of those at mec today, can't remember what it was but something about it bugged me enough that it was a no sale… maybe the overcomplicated lid? good to know yours has been that reliable and durable

The lid is weird and I wasn't sure about it at first, but it is one of the best features. It is super easy to open and close with one hand so having it fall over with an open lid is rarely a problem.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 27, 2011, 2:28 p.m.

I've had this one for two years. Love it. Leak proof, spill proof, and hella-hot for hours. The lid comes apart for easy cleaning. I took the handle off, first thing. Also, you can drink from whatever side of the lid you want.

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the clicking noise it makes when you take a drink. A small price to pay for total leak-proof goodness.

I was in the coffee biz for almost 8 years, and sourced dozens of travel mugs. This one gets the gold seal. Plus, local company, ethical sourcing, you name it.

I'm going to stop now because I sound like I work for the company.

http://www.innate-gear.com/product-info/kaze

Dec. 27, 2011, 2:32 p.m.

For the record, I've been using one every day for at least four years. I'm talking about the classic screw top without any flip/pour mechanism, so not exactly a travel/sippy mug. I have no reason to believe that I won't be using this four years from now.

thats what i was going to suggest as well.

you can get different sizes of thermos brand thermos' from about $15 to $40. I use the 1L version. Its pretty big but its usually enough coffee for a 12 hour shift. Most importantly at the end of a 12 hour shift the coffee is still hot.

Dec. 27, 2011, 2:47 p.m.

Just sayin'….3 or 4 cans of pilly won't leak into your pack and go a long way towards solidifying riding freindships…..as does a flask of good rum.

Pastor of Muppets