Looking for suggestions on a small camera

May 20, 2009, 3:33 p.m.

Hey Those that Know,

My old small camera is just about dead. Screen goes funky unless I hold it just the right way. I don't think that that is a good sign for its future use.

I want to buy a new small compact camera in the 300$ range. Stopped at London drugs and got lost in a sea of jargon from the kid at the counter who must be a dungeons and dragons whiz.

The question…

What is the best camera that cost 300$ or less that would be great for taking on my travels? I would prefer something small and compact. Don't care if it is waterproof.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

May 20, 2009, 4:31 p.m.

I'm no camera expert but I do like my Olympus 850SW (I believe the Tough6000 is the current model). It is waterproof, which I understand you don't really care about, but I do like that I can throw it in my pocket or pack side pocket and not really worry about it. Super dusty riding at Whistler? Whatever, it's sealed and I can just rinse it off anyway. Wet ride on the shore? No problem. Big crash? Meh, it should fare better than most….

It has a good rapid-fire mode so you can take good action sequences (albeit with downgraded picture quality - 3MP I believe). I also bought an underwater housing for it so I can take it scuba diving and it's proven itself pretty good for that as well.

As far as picture quality, I guess somebody else can talk about that. I'm more about taking fun shots for memories than making art so I can't really speak to it. I've taken a few nice ones and an amateur photographer friend did tell me how to tweak a few exposure settings to do a bit better than full auto mode. My gut feeling is that my ancient Canon Elph was a bit "smarter" without adjustments.

May 20, 2009, 7:08 p.m.

Canon SD 1100 179.00 at future shop. best lens, takes easy and quick and awesome photos and wicked video, at least i think so. Plus at 179.00 you can buy two or if you lose it no worry…more expensive cameras just give you more pixels, this one has 8 so good enough for magazine quality etc. , my 2 cents. oh yeah spend the extra dough and 4 meg card 30 minutes of vid and tons of photos..

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

May 20, 2009, 7:34 p.m.

I have had great luck with the panasonic cameras. Not sure which model fits in your budget/needs. But I have one and so do some of my friends and family (all differnt models) and they have nothing but praise for them.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 20, 2009, 9:34 p.m.

I film all my videos with a Panasonic Digital Camera that also takes wicked pictures.

Panasonic FX-35 is the camera I HIGHLY recommend!

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

May 20, 2009, 9:47 p.m.

Panasonic is making some pretty good little cameras.

I love my LX3.

A video I made with it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/70912/

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

May 23, 2009, 10:12 a.m.

go waterproof , either the olympus mentioned above or I have the pentax w30 and it is definateley waterproof/dust proof

I dropped it last week and its toast …time to pickup another one or maybe try the olympus

May 23, 2009, 10:46 a.m.

more expensive cameras just give you more pixels, this one has 8 so good enough for magazine quality etc.

uh - no.

Pixel count determines how big of a print you can reasonably make (more realistically, it will determine how much cropping you can get away with before the pic degrades). Price will determine feature set of the camera and quality of lens - the quality of lens will have the biggest impact on the types of shots you can get.

You could ask this question over in photos and vids, or lurk over in www.dpreview.com for more suggestions / information.

May 23, 2009, 11:33 a.m.

Panasonic has a new waterproof/shockproof ect camera that should be out now…but I have not been able to find it…and I think it's a bit more than you want to spend…but it's REALLY nice on paper…here is a link for it…

http://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/camerascamcorders/digitalstill/DMCTS1.asp

May 25, 2009, 8:10 p.m.

That Panasonic waterproof TS1 is my next camera. I've been waiting 3 years for that camera.

To me, it is like a GoPro or VRHold on steroids. Fantastic pictures and fabulous video in HD.

They are USD$369 on eBay.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

May 25, 2009, 8:21 p.m.

uh - no.

Pixel count determines how big of a print you can reasonably make (more realistically, it will determine how much cropping you can get away with before the pic degrades). Price will determine feature set of the camera and quality of lens - the quality of lens will have the biggest impact on the types of shots you can get.

You could ask this question over in photos and vids, or lurk over in www.dpreview.com for more suggestions / information.

Not really true. In theory yes, in practice, well, it depends on the optics.
If the diffraction limit of the optics (the size of the smallest resolvable detail) is smaller than a pixel on the CCD chip, then that statement is true, but if the optics aren't able to resolve that small a detail then higher MPix means nothing. Eg. Say your camera is a true 4MP, then taking that same optical system and putting in a 8MP chip would be very similar to taking your 4M image and expanding it on your computer to the same size as the 8MP image. There is no more information in the image, but it's now bigger.

Besides, 2MP can make a 4x6" print really well, so why does anyone need an 8-10MP?

May 25, 2009, 9:31 p.m.

Well said Steve. Optics are far more important than what most people think.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

May 25, 2009, 11:59 p.m.

more expensive cameras just give you more pixels, this one has 8 so good enough for blog quality etc.

fixed that for you.

May 26, 2009, 12:06 a.m.

Besides, 2MP can make a 4x6" print really well, so why does anyone need an 8-10MP?

because its all about the peen size

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 26, 2009, 8:50 a.m.

I need to get a helmet cam mount for my camera.

http://vimeo.com/3816636

Being able to get video like this would be awesome. Although I'm not sure if I can comfortably stick a $600 camera to my helmet.

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr