Nomad v4
66.7%
Enduro 29
0%
Something else please share!
33.3%
Total votes: 3
June 20, 2017, 9:11 a.m.

Hi guys, I have a 14 E29 pretty nice build about 28.5 lbs, traverse carbon 30mm wheels, etc...  I love the bike!  Fit is perfect, it is just pretty worn out.  I love the way it handles.  I definitely only pedal up slowly to enjoy the ride down. I don't find it "too much" bike at all, and can make the tightest switch backs no problem.  The things I don't like is the tall front end (hard to correct mid corner) and the rear suspension performance is really lackluster and I've had the ccdbacs (super over damped) and currently the ohlins stx22 (bouncy) and both are pretty damn harsh on fast square edge impacts.  They are great on slower compressions.

My wife has a nomad 3 and that suspenson is awesome. Its a size small which is too small for me, so its hard to tell about the handling.

I demo'd a new enduro comp 650+ as well as an enduro comp 650.  I really disliked both.  Both were super heavy, sluggish, dead feeling, and really hard to get off the ground.  Of course the mid fat had awesome grip in the loose stuff.  I was not able to demo a an enduro with 29" wheels.  These bikes were 4-5 lbs heavier than mine.

So my question is, if I buy a nice spec new enduro is it going to be night and day to the base model ones I tried?  Or has the new enduro lost some of the snappiness of the old one?  Last question is the other bike I'm considering is the new nomad, and ditching my DH bike which is getting on in years and going to a one bike garage.   I did try the YT capra size M last year and it was an awesome bike but it just felt huge and the E29 doesn't feel that way at all.

Has anyone ridden the last/current gen Enduro and can comment?  Anyone else besides pete tried the new nomad?  Anything else I should try? 

Thanks!

June 20, 2017, 5:26 p.m.

Your current bike is worn out? How so?

June 21, 2017, 9:27 a.m.

Given that the Capra & N3 are so similar, I find it interesting that the Capra felt huge while the Nomad didn't. Was the Capra maybe too large a size? Heavy wheels? At any rate, the N4 is definitely going to feel like a larger bike than the Capra did, so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by: Ninjatarian on June 21, 2017, 9:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 21, 2017, 12:32 p.m.

I could be reading the specs wrong, but the size m nomad seems lower than the E29 in every way, just a little bit longer wheelbase.   It also has smaller wheels.  The capra was awesome but felt like the bars were too far out and it was not easy to manhandle up technical obstacles.  The enduro is easy to hop up things.

June 23, 2017, 6:15 p.m.

I had a first generation alloy E29 I loved it. Before that I had a long list of FSR bikes, a couple from Specialized and 4 Knolly before that. Now I'm on an Evil Wreckoning. I had no idea what 'handles square edge hits' meant until this bike. In hindsight all my previous bikes regularly got hooked up on stuff and my riding style adapted. Where my FSR bikes wanted me to hunt and peck the Evil wants me to charge through, and the harder I hit stuff to the faster it goes and the faster I go the more I float over stuff. It's hard to describe. I have yet to experience any of the goofy single pivot behaviours I was expecting. So far it climbs well and descends better.  

TL;DR check out some single pivots, maybe a Canfield and at least one DW bike (so many good ones from Evil, Devinci, Pivot, Trek or Ibis).