Looking for some good pedals...

Aug. 17, 2007, 9:41 a.m.

are you serious? these pedals? http://www.crankbrothers.com/5050.php because EVERYONE that i have talked to running these pedals (and yes, there are quite a few) have been less than thrilled. not sure of all the issues but there appear to be quite a lot

I concur, these pedals can be trouble. I've had mine come apart on a few rides (and yes, I check them for being loose before I head out for a ride) and still ended up with half a pedal under my feet and plates in my pocket. I've even noticed a few riders in line at Whistler with zapstraps around the plates to keep them from disappearing…

I'd vote for the Atomlab trailkings…..they are what I am using for my next build.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 17, 2007, 10:44 a.m.

A few friends run Atomlab AirCorp and they love'em. I have ridden Azonic A-Frames for ages and they are still in great conditions. Never ridden the Syncros before.

What about BMW Shinburgers or Vegiburgers…nice as well……

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Aug. 17, 2007, 10:51 a.m.

I've been running wellgo mg-1s for a bit now.

Very light at 376g, good overall shape, adequate pin length w/o being ridiculous, nice "spin". Very reasonable price for a magnesium pedal.

The hard part might be finding them…i've heard they're sold out in Canada?

I can personally vouch for how good the traction of these pedals really is; They grip skin really well.

Aug. 17, 2007, 10:53 a.m.

Ouch…this happened with my A-frames…….the doc told me, nothing to stitch up, since chunks of meat were missing. still have some scars. and it felt as if my leg was broken…boy, the pain…:|

- Kristen Ulmer

Aug. 17, 2007, 11:02 a.m.

This is the kind of shin mulching I was refrerring to.

" I'm filthy rich, I'm always tanned and I've got a great ass too but my marriage sucks so I hate my life."

Aug. 17, 2007, 11:10 a.m.

I think that with every flat pedal you can seriously hurt your shin. because you can slip off the pedal…unless you are sporting 5Ten shoes. Or get your favorite shoes re-soled by a company that is allowed to resole with 5Ten bike specific rubber.

Maybe you should go clipless?

- Kristen Ulmer

Aug. 17, 2007, 11:25 a.m.

are you serious? these pedals? http://www.crankbrothers.com/5050.php because EVERYONE that i have talked to running these pedals (and yes, there are quite a few) have been less than thrilled. not sure of all the issues but there appear to be quite a lot

The XX comes with extra pins and you will need to put them in. Once you do they are a great pedal but they are heavy. I think it was about 300 grams per pedal with the extra pins, I was shocked.

I've been running wellgo mg-1s for a bit now.

Very light at 376g, good overall shape, adequate pin length w/o being ridiculous, nice "spin". Very reasonable price for a magnesium pedal.

The hard part might be finding them…i've heard they're sold out in Canada?

I'm running them too, good so far and I bash pedals a fair bit. Thats 376 grams/pair too. They are stupid light. Overtime had them in stock, cheap too. I can't remember how much I paid but they were as cheap as I am.

Aug. 17, 2007, 11:54 a.m.

Go to 3ride and buy some BMX pedals, those things grip like hell. I'm using the Animal Hamiltons (looseball) and I haven't had any problems yet. They even came with another set of pins. And they're cheap.

Aug. 17, 2007, 1:41 p.m.

I think I might go with the straitlines, but I think it will be tough to find them.
Thanks for your suggestions and comments guys!

" I'm filthy rich, I'm always tanned and I've got a great ass too but my marriage sucks so I hate my life."

Aug. 17, 2007, 1:51 p.m.

I think I might go with the straitlines, but I think it will be tough to find them.

NorthShoreBikeShop

Straitlines are made in Victoria.

Aug. 17, 2007, 2 p.m.

Axiom Roadgap pedals are fantastic. Replaceable pins, excellent warranty, superb feel, light weight, and indestructable. Price is not over-the-top but I wouldnt call them cheap either.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Aug. 17, 2007, 3:15 p.m.

Axiom Roadgap pedals are fantastic. Replaceable pins, excellent warranty, superb feel, light weight, and indestructable. Price is not over-the-top but I wouldnt call them cheap either.

I used to like roadgaps, but I found that the pins came out way too easily. After switching from them to the MG1, there is no going back, the MG1 is grippier, lighter and I haven't lost a pin yet.

Aug. 17, 2007, 7:33 p.m.

The straitlines look nice, albeit pricey. Where might one find a dealer with these pedals?

I love my Straitlines. NorthShoreBikeShop here on the board can hook you up.

Aug. 18, 2007, 2:17 p.m.

I need some new pedals after finally deciding I wasn't gonna put it off anymore. My pedals are simply worn out and I need some replacements. I have been looking at the Specialized Lo Pro Mag2 s but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Anybody have any suggestions on good pedals that won't mulch your shins?

Thanks,
Jake

IVe had a few pairs of the Specialized Lo-Pros and they are decent but compared to the Syncros Mentals its like nite and day…..Syncros with 5-10 impact shoes its like your clipped in!!

Aug. 19, 2007, 5:40 a.m.

I don't think I could buy another set of flats after riding Easton Flatboys, far and away the best pedal I have ever ridden. Super grippy, strong, no maintenance issues after a season of riding and racing, nice big platform.

only issue is the pins are inserted from the top, but a set of pliers can still get them out.

slow is smooth and smooth is fast