Looking for an all mountain bike

April 21, 2010, 10:20 p.m.

what size are the bikes, and what size are you?

They are both mediums and i am 5'10"

April 21, 2010, 11:17 p.m.

The slayer was a mistake from Rocky imo

The 2011 Slayer looks nice ;)

April 22, 2010, 10:21 a.m.

That is a Rocky Slayer SS, it is a heavier, more burly version of the Slayer, so it would not be a good All Mtn bike, it is a Slopestyle/Freeride bike.

April 22, 2010, 11:11 a.m.

there are many benefits to buying a bicycle from a bicycle shop as opposed to buying used, privately. Depending on the shop, of course.

But the build on the SC looks quite excellent and I would personally go that direction provided I could throw a leg over it to make sure it felt right.

April 22, 2010, 1:08 p.m.

What kind of benefits do you mean? Othe than warrenty I suppose.

I am going to take the slayer for a test ride tonight. The heckler is a few hours away, so I have to wait untill the weekend to look at it.

Posted via Mobile Device

April 22, 2010, 3 p.m.

You should get the Slayer for sure!

jk, that Heckler looks like it's got an awesome parts spec and you won't find a frame with a better reputation. Assuming it's in sound condition Heckler all the way.

iforonewelcome.com

April 22, 2010, 4:09 p.m.

What kind of benefits do you mean? Othe than warrenty I suppose.

I am going to take the slayer for a test ride tonight. The heckler is a few hours away, so I have to wait untill the weekend to look at it.

Posted via Mobile Device

warranty for sure, but also a relationship which can save you money and net you good, honest advice over the course of time. That relationship will eventually lead you to 'bro deals', the value of which can not be overestimated. Especially once you start to become picky about what you want.

A lot of benefits that are to be had from buying bikes from bike shops are not immediately tangible. They do, however, become highly valuable especially if you are new to the sport/scene, in the fullness of time.

All this provided the shop in question is one that you like, and one that is known for good service and honesty.

In this instance, considering the two bikes you've targeted, the used one definitely has a schwankier spec. However, if you are new to mountain biking, that fancy stuff may not be as valuable as a year's worth of servicing/tuneups which most good shops will provide you with. When you decide you want to upgrade parts, you will likely get smoking deals on them.

It's not always so black and white, this bike being 'better' than that one. There is lots of shades of grey and it all really comes down to what it is that the individual values.

April 24, 2010, 5:54 p.m.

So I went to the shop earlier this week to give the slayer a ride. It had been sold already.

I talked to the guy with the heckler a bit more. Drove out there today and picked it up :)

April 24, 2010, 8:29 p.m.

Congrats, time to go ride!

April 24, 2010, 9:09 p.m.

I always say that the best bike in the world is the one that you ride!
Good score, that's a sweet rig.

April 24, 2010, 9:55 p.m.

Probably go for a short ride tomorrow. Then I want to swap a few parts around. Going to put my x9 stuff on it.

I want to pick up some new shoes, and I think I am going to pick up a set of crank bro's mallets for it as well.

So far it was pretty sweet though, I can't believe how much lighter it is compared to my Joker.