Looking for 2019 Boxxer tuning tips (180mm travel).....

Sept. 7, 2019, 8:57 p.m.

Anyone out there have any tips for setting up a newer generation Boxxer RC with 180mm travel? Most of the info I've found online applies to the 200mm versions, and the 200mm versions seem to get glowing reviews with rather simple setups (mind you, these reviews were all for the world cup version, the main difference being the Charger RC2 damper). I'm mainly having trouble getting the air spring right. My fork has a Charger RC damper and a Debonair 180mm spring. And yes, this Boxxer is mounted on an enduro bike. And yes, the same Boxxer that's not playing nicely with car racks!

A bit of back story: I'm coming off an older 180mm RCT3 Lyrik that also had a Debonair spring upgrade. That fork had the best spring I've ever used, but I hated the flex and creaky crowns. My settings in the Lyrik air spring were 2 tokens and about 78psi. I weigh 185 lbs. These settings gave me a decently supple initial stroke, great mid stroke support, and enough bottom out to resist all but the nastiest hits.

I picked up this Boxxer thinking it would be the same story, in a stiffer, burlier package, but I'm finding it really difficult to get the spring rate right. No matter what I do, the fork just feels way too linear. I started out with 3 tokens and 130psi. I found these settings pretty harsh off the top, and was still way too easy to bottom the fork out (too linear). After some experimentation, I'm now at 6 tokens (Rockshox says 6 is the max allowed - more on that later) and 130psi. Fork is still pretty harsh off the top, and resists bottoming a bit better, but still feels very linear to me. I am still bottoming the fork far more often than my old Lyrik.

Anyone have any ideas? Are my settings totally whack? People seem to love the WC model, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm wondering if running this fork at 180mm travel has taken it out of it's optimal operating scenario (even though the 180mm travel kit is a SRAM supplied part). I don't think it's the damper that's letting me down - I typically run my compression damping fairly open anyway.

One test I read on the WC had the settings at 2 tokens and 150psi, but I feel like this is going to be a super harsh initial stroke, and still too easy to bottom. Of course this test was at 200mm travel, so I'm not sure how that affects things.

On bottomless tokens: I have noticed that the spring side has room for more than 6 tokens. I'm not sure how many you could get in there, but it definitely has room for way more than 6 at full bottom out. My guess is the 6 token max. has more to do with max air pressure buildup than the physical room for the tokens. Worst case design scenario for this fork (according to Rockshox) is 6 tokens and 200psi. I feel like maybe I could get away with 7 or 8 tokens if I'm keeping the pressure around 120psi(??)

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I just really want to copy the feeling of the Lyrik air spring.

Cheers!

Sept. 8, 2019, 8:36 a.m.

The air spring is a much higher volume than your lyric because the positive air spring has the additional height of your head tube designed into it. This will make it more linear. 

If you’re not comfortable adding more tokens, you could swap the damper for something nicer (not another charger, but there’s a few aftermarket options). Anything with more oil is going to allow your damper to do more, and you’ll be relying less on the perfect spring settings. Craig from Avalanche is very confident in his product, and having spent two days with the Charger damper in my fork, I’m never selling the avalanche cartridge. 

If you’re not willing to give up on the Charger just yet, pull it apart and re-shim it for a more aggressive tune. It looks like you may need a vice to do this. Instructions are all online and should provide a little more information on what you’ll need.

Sept. 8, 2019, 6:43 p.m.

Yeah, I think that going with a different damper will be a last resort option for me, mainly due to expense. Going to shoot an email to fluid function and see if they have any ideas.