Longest fork CSU warranty coverage period

July 2, 2021, 10:13 p.m.

Given how often single crown forks start creaking, length of warranty coverage is an important consideration when buying a fork. I know that Fox has a 1 year warranty vs. Rockshox’s 2-year coverage, so Rockshox wins there. Are there any other manufacturers that offer warranty for 2 years or more?

July 3, 2021, 12:12 a.m.

Suntour - you won't have to worry about creaky csu's

July 3, 2021, 7:03 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I’ve heard that, though part of me thinks it’s partly related to a small sample size.

I couldn’t find it before but looks like they also do a 2 year warranty.

Last edited by: D_C_ on July 3, 2021, 7:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2021, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Given how often single crown forks start creaking, length of warranty coverage is an important consideration when buying a fork. I know that Fox has a 1 year warranty vs. Rockshox’s 2-year coverage, so Rockshox wins there. Are there any other manufacturers that offer warranty for 2 years or more?

I have two Cane Creek Helms (a three year old MK1 and a 1 year old MK2, both bought new) and neither creak. I won't be buying another Fox or RS fork.

July 3, 2021, 10:42 a.m.

I’ve heard that, though part of me thinks it’s partly related to a small sample size.

That's a fair point. Although if you look at the designs of the CSU, the Suntour ones are beefier and overall their forks tend to weigh a bit more than similar offerings from RS/Fox. I think shaving weight is generally a good idea, but there are also critical components/areas where things being more sturdy/durable make a lot of sense. IMO things like bars, headtube junctions and CSUs/forks are areas where it makes sense to have extra strength as failures in these areas can have catastrophic consequences. If you're the type of rider who gets a new bike every year this probably isn't an issue, but if you hold on to your ride for  a longer time then durability AND safety should be a consideration.

July 3, 2021, 4:32 p.m.

That's a fair point. Although if you look at the designs of the CSU, the Suntour ones are beefier and overall their forks tend to weigh a bit more than similar offerings from RS/Fox. I think shaving weight is generally a good idea, but there are also critical components/areas where things being more sturdy/durable make a lot of sense. IMO things like bars, headtube junctions and CSUs/forks are areas where it makes sense to have extra strength as failures in these areas can have catastrophic consequences. If you're the type of rider who gets a new bike every year this probably isn't an issue, but if you hold on to your ride for  a longer time then durability AND safety should be a consideration.

A strong creak-free CSU interface isn't necessarily due to weight but rather design and implementation. The forks that don't creak generally aren't that much heavier, they're just designed and manufactured better

July 3, 2021, 5:10 p.m.

Posted by: craw

A strong creak-free CSU interface isn't necessarily due to weight but rather design and implementation. The forks that don't creak generally aren't that much heavier, they're just designed and manufactured better

Yeah for sure, and design can include thicker/stronger materials. The crown/stanchion interface is subject to a lot of stress and flex and a crown that is stronger will resist flex more which hopefully means no creaking. I know that weight alone isn't an indicator of strength, but adding more material (and weight) is an easy way to increase strength on the crown at that point. My point was that given the same/similar materials, a part with more material is going to be stronger than one with less. Personally, I'd happily take an extra 100g of weight at the CSU on any fork if it meant a stronger part that wasn't going  sound like it's ready to fail when under stress.

July 3, 2021, 6:05 p.m.

It's crazy that this issue has been a point leading to choosing a fork brand or another, but it was high on my list too! In fact, one of the reasons why I bought a DVO fork in the first place was the 2 year warranty. I've had two Beryl D2 who started creaking after a season, but they were made in 2018 and 2019 and they're supposed to have a new process since then. 

I have a new Diamond D2 (same fork) with a different looking CSU and made in 2020 so it should be better. Apparently they're  made in the same factory as Suntour and they're both known for creak-free CSUs. I won't complain at DVO at all though, I have received awesome customer service and a brand new fork each time (bushing problems were the main reasons). I am riding a MK1 Helm coil this summer but I'd buy another DVO in a heartbeat.

July 3, 2021, 10:07 p.m.

I have two Cane Creek Helms (a three year old MK1 and a 1 year old MK2, both bought new) and neither creak. I won't be buying another Fox or RS fork.

Same.  I'm out on big Squish.  Looking elsewhere in the future. Especially considering frame only builds and keystone pricing.  

I'll admit that a DH bike I'll run a Boxxer or 40; begrudgingly ;)

July 4, 2021, 1:23 a.m.

Thanks for the nudge you lot. Prompted me to look at Suntour again - new direct sale of a Durolux or Auron is similar $ to a used Lyrik round here. Won't be for a while, but good tip.

July 4, 2021, 11:58 a.m.

FAUX did a "solid" and offered 50% off CSUs.

The best is bike shop employees telling me I should be grateful for it. "If FAUX would've given you a new CSU free of charge you'd be singing a different tune." Actually no I wouldn't brah; but thanks I guess.

July 5, 2021, 1:36 p.m.

Another vote for DVO. After 2 creaky 36's in a season (my buddy also had a 38 that started creaking after a month of riding) I'm now on an Onyx SC and it's been super plush and creak free for over a year....

July 6, 2021, 7:58 p.m.

MRP forks. Best service in the bike industry.

July 8, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

Hi @craw! I don't want to derail the thread, but I hear/feel a rattle/slight knock in my new Mk1 Helm Coil and I'm wondering if it's something that you've experienced? Everything else on the bike/wheel/brake/headset is perfectly fine. Thanks!

July 8, 2021, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: martin

Hi @craw! I don't want to derail the thread, but I hear/feel a rattle/slight knock in my new Mk1 Helm Coil and I'm wondering if it's something that you've experienced? Everything else on the bike/wheel/brake/headset is perfectly fine. Thanks!

No idea! Mine are both air. I'd bring it to Suspensionwerx and get them to figure it out.