long travel wagon wheelers

Feb. 1, 2019, 1:46 p.m.

It will be a PEEK or PEKK based thermoplastic resin. I'd bet maybe the stuff in this article. https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/peek-or-pekk-in-future-tpc-aerostructures

As for the robot I think they're doing a narrow tape robotic arm. In a traditional layup you would have sheets of pre-preg that then get cut into the hundreds of small flat forms on a lazer table. These flat pieces are then all hand laid into the mold per the schedule. With the narrow tape the robotic arm would be laying out hundreds of strips in to get to the final schedule. They then might trim the perimeter of the schedule before moving that into the mold. Google Automated Fiber Placement and you get an idea of the tape heads on the end of the robot arms.

Feb. 1, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

Didn,t someone build a EXO skeleton frame. Using some areospace composites and few years back. It may have even been 3d printed. I wonder if the dude from Starling is kicking himself. He stated he uses steel of composites which he is a expert in.

Feb. 3, 2019, 5:35 p.m.

April 15, 2019, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I won't ever buy another Pole but thanks for thinking of me. I have a Geometron in the mail so we'll see how that goes. I think there's more to pedigree, impeccable manufacturing and the slacker HTA+reduced offset than the machining innovations from Pole. I'll let someone else guinea pig that $5000 frame.

Any news on the undisclosed machined frame issues? I'm a happy Evolink 158 owner, and I'm waiting for Pole to bring into the market their long promised DH chariot. And I can't even think of a downhill bike from another brand since the 158 is the first bike that felt like extension of my body, being much comfier in the gnar than most DH rigs. Even after running into all the tiresome issues like the incompatibility with most chainguides or the need to service bearings once a month due to lack of labyrinth seals I would still buy another 158.

However, the glued frame falling apart is a real stopper for me (how quaint!). So far I stumbled upon single case mentioning of this problem, and yours could be the second one. I've been monitoring this thread since this very message, but saw no updates. Any new info? I would highly appreciate it, because I have a choice: simply wait until Pole Stamina 200 is released, or convert 158 to a full-fledged dual crown DH myself.

April 15, 2019, 6:37 p.m.

Posted by: Kenshiro

Posted by: craw

I won't ever buy another Pole but thanks for thinking of me. I have a Geometron in the mail so we'll see how that goes. I think there's more to pedigree, impeccable manufacturing and the slacker HTA+reduced offset than the machining innovations from Pole. I'll let someone else guinea pig that $5000 frame.

Any news on the undisclosed machined frame issues? I'm a happy Evolink 158 owner, and I'm waiting for Pole to bring into the market their long promised DH chariot. And I can't even think of a downhill bike from another brand since the 158 is the first bike that felt like extension of my body, being much comfier in the gnar than most DH rigs. Even after running into all the tiresome issues like the incompatibility with most chainguides or the need to service bearings once a month due to lack of labyrinth seals I would still buy another 158.

However, the glued frame falling apart is a real stopper for me (how quaint!). So far I stumbled upon single case mentioning of this problem, and yours could be the second one. I've been monitoring this thread since this very message, but saw no updates. Any new info? I would highly appreciate it, because I have a choice: simply wait until Pole Stamina 200 is released, or convert 158 to a full-fledged dual crown DH myself.

My Evolink 158 churned through shocks due to excessive flex so I switched to a Geometron G16, which is everything the Pole should have been: a tough, reliable monster truck that climbs well. 22 rides and I haven't blown a single shock or bearing, so it's nice that Pole has reset my standard for reliability so low. I'm also reminded of just how good a well designed FSR bike can ride. The G16 feels ...harmonious for lack of a better word where the Pole suspension always seemed to be fighting itself. I couldn't imagine riding the 158 in the bike park, it just doesn't seem built to take that kind of abuse. But maybe you're not 220lbs.

April 17, 2019, 7:42 p.m.

April 17, 2019, 8:35 p.m.

That a Robot Bike Co and Forbidden Bike are the only neat things going on now in that travel Range.

April 18, 2019, 9:01 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

love the look of that frame and fork

April 18, 2019, 10:57 a.m.

^that's some serious coin

April 18, 2019, 11:33 a.m.

Looks like a Horst link Turner circa 2005.  Apart from the 'modern' geometry and really ugly welds on this one.

April 18, 2019, 12:34 p.m.

sick bike. i love the retro aesthetic, and their signature fat welds. especially stoked w/ the new shock config - ie, the ability to run a bottle. would be rad if the G1 was to adopt this.

April 18, 2019, 1:54 p.m.

I was never a big fan of Nicolai stuff till I started building my own bikes and geeking out of the finer details and machining.

https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/frames/saturn-14/

Soo many sweet details in their frames. They also kill it with info in their tech sheets.

April 19, 2019, 12:25 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

I was never a big fan of Nicolai stuff till I started building my own bikes and geeking out of the finer details and machining.

https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/frames/saturn-14/

Soo many sweet details in their frames. They also kill it with info in their tech sheets.

I feel like if more mtbers were machinists, bikes like the Pole Machine/Stamina and Nicolai would be way more popular.

April 19, 2019, 6:01 p.m.

They also kill it with info in their tech sheets.

So what's the bottom bracket height work out to be with a -15mm drop and the averge size 2.35/27.5 tyre?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQAr3WjETJHj8w9PnUO4bawj1mfzrIUfpnhdyFpXP4qjauXSQ0JQLkRvvNWOf-AuxTtW2PPspScuaLn/pubhtml#

Last edited by: tungsten on April 19, 2019, 6:54 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
April 19, 2019, 8:44 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

They also kill it with info in their tech sheets.

So what's the bottom bracket height work out to be with a -15mm drop and the averge size 2.35/27.5 tyre?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQAr3WjETJHj8w9PnUO4bawj1mfzrIUfpnhdyFpXP4qjauXSQ0JQLkRvvNWOf-AuxTtW2PPspScuaLn/pubhtml#

Document references a 710mm wheel dia with a max tire size of27.5*2.4. 710/2 = 355mm radius - 15mm = bb height 340mm give or take a little (depending on tires).

Edit - but you can have up to 30mm bb drop using the mutator chips.

Last edited by: nouseforaname on April 19, 2019, 8:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.