long travel wagon wheelers

Jan. 4, 2019, 9:20 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: FLATCH

That's a pretty big front ring, no?

Chain guide probably makes it look bigger than it really is.

chain guide, I had to look close to be sure it didn't have a front derailleur.

Jan. 31, 2019, 11:09 a.m.

Uh oh....

Jan. 31, 2019, 11:17 a.m.

This looks sweet, and there is so much to love: the NUTS system, one front triangle for multiple set up options, adjustable reach, made in NA, progressive geo.

Jan. 31, 2019, 4:26 p.m.

Swiss army knife that bike is , curious as too max travel with the 29er . The Smash is 145mm ,

Feb. 1, 2019, 8:01 a.m.

it's a good looking bike. i hate the shock placement and name though.

Feb. 1, 2019, 11:41 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

it's a good looking bike. i hate the shock placement and name though.

Seriously, that shock placement. Aesthetically it bugs me. Also not a fan of the branding/names/heavy metal image. But congrats to them thinking outside the box on going carbon.

Feb. 1, 2019, 12:13 p.m.

ugh, the cheese factor. like, really?

horn toss for xtra gnarcore, braaah

god damn, i'm cynical. but yeah, the carbon tech is intriguing.

Last edited by: xy9ine on Feb. 1, 2019, 12:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2019, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

not a fan of the branding/names/heavy metal image.

Hand guns on th c/s. Dude wearing "Colt" trucker cap on PB interview. lol... 'cause, 'merica!

horn toss for xtra gnarcore, braaah

You could aways chisel off them rivets but then you'd lose the serial #, man.

I'd like to know if this new process is any less polluting.

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 1, 2019, 1:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2019, 1:23 p.m.

sounds like it's some sort of thermoplastic resin process that's purportedly less wasteful / hazardous. here's the patent ap, for composite keeners:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20180264756A1/en?oq=US20180264756A1

Feb. 1, 2019, 1:46 p.m.

It will be a PEEK or PEKK based thermoplastic resin. I'd bet maybe the stuff in this article. https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/peek-or-pekk-in-future-tpc-aerostructures

As for the robot I think they're doing a narrow tape robotic arm. In a traditional layup you would have sheets of pre-preg that then get cut into the hundreds of small flat forms on a lazer table. These flat pieces are then all hand laid into the mold per the schedule. With the narrow tape the robotic arm would be laying out hundreds of strips in to get to the final schedule. They then might trim the perimeter of the schedule before moving that into the mold. Google Automated Fiber Placement and you get an idea of the tape heads on the end of the robot arms.

Feb. 1, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

Didn,t someone build a EXO skeleton frame. Using some areospace composites and few years back. It may have even been 3d printed. I wonder if the dude from Starling is kicking himself. He stated he uses steel of composites which he is a expert in.

Feb. 3, 2019, 5:35 p.m.

Feb. 4, 2019, 7:07 p.m.

that Hope bike looks beautiful, also looks small. size medium perhaps. saw another new pre-production Forbidden bike at a local LBS that the owner has taken delivery of. the slight kink in the top tube was gone, it's now straight, at least in that size. it's a stunner for sure, would be even without the high pivot chain. no geometry figures yet, and the name (which was on the bike) remains a secret, but lo! that which shalt not be named, has in fact, gotta name... dun dun dunnnnnnn............ (that's the universal sound of drama in case you didn't get it)

Last edited by: JBV on Feb. 4, 2019, 7:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 15, 2019, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I won't ever buy another Pole but thanks for thinking of me. I have a Geometron in the mail so we'll see how that goes. I think there's more to pedigree, impeccable manufacturing and the slacker HTA+reduced offset than the machining innovations from Pole. I'll let someone else guinea pig that $5000 frame.

Any news on the undisclosed machined frame issues? I'm a happy Evolink 158 owner, and I'm waiting for Pole to bring into the market their long promised DH chariot. And I can't even think of a downhill bike from another brand since the 158 is the first bike that felt like extension of my body, being much comfier in the gnar than most DH rigs. Even after running into all the tiresome issues like the incompatibility with most chainguides or the need to service bearings once a month due to lack of labyrinth seals I would still buy another 158.

However, the glued frame falling apart is a real stopper for me (how quaint!). So far I stumbled upon single case mentioning of this problem, and yours could be the second one. I've been monitoring this thread since this very message, but saw no updates. Any new info? I would highly appreciate it, because I have a choice: simply wait until Pole Stamina 200 is released, or convert 158 to a full-fledged dual crown DH myself.

April 15, 2019, 6:37 p.m.

Posted by: Kenshiro

Posted by: craw

I won't ever buy another Pole but thanks for thinking of me. I have a Geometron in the mail so we'll see how that goes. I think there's more to pedigree, impeccable manufacturing and the slacker HTA+reduced offset than the machining innovations from Pole. I'll let someone else guinea pig that $5000 frame.

Any news on the undisclosed machined frame issues? I'm a happy Evolink 158 owner, and I'm waiting for Pole to bring into the market their long promised DH chariot. And I can't even think of a downhill bike from another brand since the 158 is the first bike that felt like extension of my body, being much comfier in the gnar than most DH rigs. Even after running into all the tiresome issues like the incompatibility with most chainguides or the need to service bearings once a month due to lack of labyrinth seals I would still buy another 158.

However, the glued frame falling apart is a real stopper for me (how quaint!). So far I stumbled upon single case mentioning of this problem, and yours could be the second one. I've been monitoring this thread since this very message, but saw no updates. Any new info? I would highly appreciate it, because I have a choice: simply wait until Pole Stamina 200 is released, or convert 158 to a full-fledged dual crown DH myself.

My Evolink 158 churned through shocks due to excessive flex so I switched to a Geometron G16, which is everything the Pole should have been: a tough, reliable monster truck that climbs well. 22 rides and I haven't blown a single shock or bearing, so it's nice that Pole has reset my standard for reliability so low. I'm also reminded of just how good a well designed FSR bike can ride. The G16 feels ...harmonious for lack of a better word where the Pole suspension always seemed to be fighting itself. I couldn't imagine riding the 158 in the bike park, it just doesn't seem built to take that kind of abuse. But maybe you're not 220lbs.