long travel wagon wheelers

Dec. 5, 2018, 12:46 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

wow. extremely high marks for total uniqueness. where the heck did you find that used, surely not in Canada. did it come with the coil shock? would love to hear your riding impressions and how it feel about it's size compared to the xl Sentinel.

Funnily enough on Pinkbike - was very lucky as I was considering one anyway (along with the aforementioned Pole) but the juicy price of both was putting me off. My Sentinel was a L, so a little bit shorter, but gave me enough of an idea that it was going to work out, based on numbers alone. Yes it did come with the DHX2.

Ride impressions so far have been a bit limited as i've been injured for a while, but it does address a couple of the issues I didn't like about the Sentinel. Both have a similar feel, in that they are 'very' solid. Both are crazy low & certainly love corners. My biggest frustration with the Sentinel was finding the right balance on the rear shock, it was just a bit awkward to set up & get it working well. I found what felt right when riding for fun was not great when racing, blowing through travel & bottoming out everywhere & vice versa when coming off a race weekend. Tyre clearance on the rear of the Sentinel is a joke, a 2.5 WT was way too tight on the linkage bridge & if you slapped a corner a nit hard you could buzz the stays easily. Oh and the classic Transition paint quality issues :)

The longer stays of the Madonna are a new one for me, but they certainly make the bike feel super stable & balanced? At 188cm i'm fairly tall and it feels nice to be a bit more central on the bike. The STA at what, 78 degrees is a bit of an eye opener. I thought for its size the Transition climbed reasonably well, mostly as the STA put me a decent bit further forward than the Fuel when you allow for the full height post. At 78 degrees it feels like another notch again - I feel right on top of the BB and given it's size/weight it goes up fine. Not PB levels of hyperbole 'climbs like an XC bike' but no issues.

My one word answer would probably be fast. It really does just monster truck through stuff & it's a bit of battle of self preservation & the desire to brake Vs hanging on for life. I'm keen to race it & see what it's like against the clock :)

Posted by: nouseforaname

Posted by: HobNob

That got built up, raced a couple of DH races & EWS’s

Casually drops that in there like....

Interesting bike HobNob - I wonder how it will hold up.

Ha, it's still an event for me to get to do one or two of these!

Interesting to reflect on doing them too - the standard of riding across the board has gone through the roof over the years, but I live in hope that I still get to do Whistler again next year (might be in the new 100 category now though, as it looks to be super difficult to pre qualify for the main race).

But then it's also a bit crazy that chumps like me can race the same race as Sam Hill :)

Last edited by: HobNob on Dec. 5, 2018, 1:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 5, 2018, 9:02 a.m.

Very nice. I was looking at these too but between needing a bigger size, the price and them not wanting to ship to NA, it was kind of a foregone conclusion. 

I guess fancy aluminum is back on the menu!

Dec. 5, 2018, 1:57 p.m.

Ya the RAAW Madonna is a want on my list . Weird they won,t ship to NA , they claim liability reasons . MTB is a dangerous sport to begin with .

Dec. 5, 2018, 7:38 p.m.

so are 26" mtb's officially dead now?

Dec. 5, 2018, 8:53 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

so are 26" mtb's officially dead now?

DJ and kids bikes

Dec. 5, 2018, 9:02 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Ya the RAAW Madonna is a want on my list . Weird they won,t ship to NA , they claim liability reasons . MTB is a dangerous sport to begin with .

Swarf cycles makes the same statement on their website. Plenty of small UK brands ship frames internationally, so seems a wierd policy. But I guess I'm not a lawyer...

Dec. 6, 2018, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Swarf cycles makes the same statement on their website. Plenty of small UK brands ship frames internationally, so seems a wierd policy. But I guess I'm not a lawyer...

Interesting, never heard of this before. I love what they have done with the Raaw Madonna...just a beautiful bike, but that damn seat tube is too short. #tallguyproblems

Dec. 7, 2018, 7:40 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

It’s because of the insurance that they are either required to hold or believe they should hold. It look like they’ve decided that it’s not worth it to them - so they won’t ship to Canada or US. They probably sell all they can make anyways

Dec. 7, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

I won't ever buy another Pole but thanks for thinking of me. I have a Geometron in the mail so we'll see how that goes. I think there's more to pedigree, impeccable manufacturing and the slacker HTA+reduced offset than the machining innovations from Pole. I'll let someone else guinea pig that $5000 frame.

Dec. 7, 2018, 11:58 a.m.

^looking forward to seeing that. extra longest? 

i pine for the pole, but not at that price.

Dec. 7, 2018, 1:57 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I won't ever buy another Pole but thanks for thinking of me. I have a Geometron in the mail so we'll see how that goes. I think there's more to pedigree, impeccable manufacturing and the slacker HTA+reduced offset than the machining innovations from Pole. I'll let someone else guinea pig that $5000 frame.

The Pole experiment didnt work out for you?  What was the problem/issue you found with it?

Dec. 7, 2018, 4:45 p.m.

Geometron > Pole.

Did you buy the Mojo version or the Nicolai version Craw?

Dec. 7, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

Mojo version. Extra longest to run as a 29/155. Roughly the same size as the XL Evolink but an even slacker head tube and a 42mm offset Lyrik. Let the sciencing begin!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 7, 2018, 8:06 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: craw

The Pole experiment didnt work out for you?  What was the problem/issue you found with it?

Didn't work for me either, and it wasn't geo related, for either of us. I'll hold my story until my issue gets resolved.

Dec. 9, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

G15 or G16?  FYI the G16 MOJO version has a 83mm BB

X2 or EXT shock?

Either way you'll be happy with the frame.