long travel wagon wheelers

Nov. 20, 2018, 8:46 p.m.

Thanks for the link, allows me to post image of iteration I'd buy.

So, as someone who drank the Horst/Maestro/DW/splitpivot koolaid, it's that link between the rocker and rear tri that isolates the brake-jack amiright?

Nov. 21, 2018, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Thanks for the link, allows me to post image of iteration I'd buy.

So, as someone who drank the Horst/Maestro/DW/splitpivot koolaid, it's that link between the rocker and rear tri that isolates the brake-jack amiright?

Pretty sure that's a no.

The link between the rocker allows them to tune the shock stroke independent of the rear wheel. Like Knollys but with brake activation of the suspension ('brake-jack').

Nov. 21, 2018, 11:40 a.m.

That's a good lookin' bike. Nice geo!

Nov. 22, 2018, 11:35 a.m.

Doesn't really fit this thread but Jensen blowing out Rune's for 53% off. GX Eagle with Pike and Monarch for $3300, pre ship and duty, blah blah blah. Sweet deal!

Nov. 22, 2018, 4:09 p.m.

Scott has never been on my radar but minus the Twinlock, I'm not seeing anything wrong with the new Ransom.  I must be drinking the KoolAid from the reviews I've seen so far (Vital, Bike, etc.).

Nov. 23, 2018, 7:26 a.m.

Posted by: robnow

Scott has never been on my radar but minus the Twinlock, I'm not seeing anything wrong with the new Ransom.  I must be drinking the KoolAid from the reviews I've seen so far (Vital, Bike, etc.).

Agree.

Nov. 23, 2018, 8:34 a.m.

Yeah, it looks amazing. I would probably see if I could remove the twinloc from the fork and put on a better fork, but keep the adjustment for the rear and see if I could figure out how to an underbar dropper paddle.

Nov. 23, 2018, 4:42 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Yeah, it looks amazing. I would probably see if I could remove the twinloc from the fork and put on a better fork, but keep the adjustment for the rear and see if I could figure out how to an underbar dropper paddle.

I think I read about the ability to do that, so the lever just operates dropper and rear shock lock-out... could just drop a GRIP2 damper in the 36 up front. 

I do find it odd they didn't spec a shock with a reservoir on the Ransom though.

Nov. 23, 2018, 7:52 p.m.

Its as easy as removing the cable that goes to the fork.

Nov. 24, 2018, 7:13 a.m.

I work in a shop that carries Scott, and ditching the Twinlock on the fork is very popular.  I haven't seen a way to use a good dropper lever but I'm sure someone out there has some thoughts on how.  We put a couple of Ransoms together this week and they look good.  I hope to throw a leg over a demo soon.

Nov. 24, 2018, 1:04 p.m.

I wonder if you could use something like this to mount a dropper leaver under the twinloc.

There is an older twinloc remote that mounts above the bar, for 2x bikes.

Nov. 28, 2018, 4:48 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I do find it odd they didn't spec a shock with a reservoir on the Ransom though.

However, it seems like the Nude shock is close to the size of the X2.  I wonder how much gadgetry is inside and if the oil volume compares more to DPX2 or X2?

Dec. 4, 2018, 7 a.m.

Being firmly in the big wheeled camp for a few years now, my poor ’17 Fuel 9.9 ended up dying in the Alps this summer.

It did end up with a longer fork, coil shock & did 1.5 seasons of racing enduro & DH so it was somewhat out of it’s comfort zone. Great bike though.

Trek were, as expected, amazing to deal with and swapped me out to a new 9.9 frame, with shock. At that point I decided to put it back to how it was intended, a light, 130mm trail bike & I’ve been enjoying it ever since. There is something to be said for a super light, fun trail ripper. It’s also nice not to have to try to do everything on one poor bike.

It left a hole for me to build up something a bit bigger (and heavier). With another season of racing, a month in Whistler planned & a few other riding trips, I wanted something big & burly. I used a Sentinel as a bit of a tester, as they tend to come up dirt cheap second hand. That got built up, raced a couple of DH races & EWS’s & decided it was the way I wanted to go with bikes.

Anyway, along came what I was really after – the RAAW Madonna. Built up as an XL, it’s certainly not a light bike coming in at just over 15kg. It’s not intended to be a light bike, it’s meant to be strong & last a season of racing. So far so good. It satisfies my desire to ride something a little different too – well it was either this or a Pole Machine. This was second hand and whole chunk cheaper (like, half the price!) :)

Dec. 4, 2018, 12:50 p.m.

Nice, I've been intrigued by the Raaw Madonna. Spotted one in the flesh last month in the gondola queue at Queenstown bike park of all places. Didn't get to talk to the guy as he was too far ahead in the queue and I never saw him afterwards.

Dec. 4, 2018, 2:38 p.m.

Posted by: HobNob

That got built up, raced a couple of DH races & EWS’s 

Casually drops that in there like....

Interesting bike HobNob - I wonder how it will hold up.