long travel wagon wheelers

Nov. 15, 2018, 1:04 p.m.

Thanks guys - sounds like something I should demo and see how it goes. The Shore does have a lot of tight corners so perhaps it isn't ideal here.

Nov. 15, 2018, 2:15 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Do any of you guys have a Transition Sentinel? I assumed they would be pretty brutal @ climbing so I never seriously considered one but based on what I've been reading people say they climb totally fine. And obviously it would be a beast on the downhill. Interested to hear some local impressions. 

Also, anyone know if any local shops have a demo bike available (NSBS, Dunbar, etc.)?

Could always drive down to headquarters, hour and change. Friendly chaps.

Nov. 15, 2018, 2:44 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Do any of you guys have a Transition Sentinel? I assumed they would be pretty brutal @ climbing so I never seriously considered one but based on what I've been reading people say they climb totally fine. And obviously it would be a beast on the downhill. Interested to hear some local impressions. 

Also, anyone know if any local shops have a demo bike available (NSBS, Dunbar, etc.)?

Could always drive down to headquarters, hour and change. Friendly chaps.

That's what I did. You can book a demo ride only. You pay a few bucks which go to local trail work. Plus afterwards you can stop at Kulshan Brewery, which has (at least it did in the spring) an amazing cheese steak truck outside.

Nov. 15, 2018, 4:42 p.m.

Tmack rides a Sentinel . and another buddy has one . Both speak highly of the bike.

Nov. 15, 2018, 6:52 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Tmack rides a Sentinel . and another buddy has one . Both speak highly of the bike.

Yeah I do wish I had the XXL though.

Nov. 16, 2018, 2 a.m.

I really like it :O

https://polebicycles.com/pole-stamina-prototype-is-rolling-in/

edit. 

Last edited by: Cuprinol on Nov. 16, 2018, 2:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2018, 6:59 a.m.

^yeah, that's sick. top of my list of lusty bike wants. should be a beast. 81* eff STA is certainly pushing the numbers.

Nov. 16, 2018, 7:52 a.m.

It'll be interesting to see where these STAs land. My Evolink is around 78 effective that feels really good on steep climbs. For a taller rider it just makes sense because that higher saddle height needs to be mitigated. But it does feel a little odd on flat ground - luckily I don't ride much of that. Because of that tall saddle height a degree means a significant ~1" difference in fore-aft position. At some point pedalling ergonomics will suffer but so far that hasn't been the case.

Last edited by: craw on Nov. 16, 2018, 7:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2018, 9:59 a.m.

yeah, for our climbs, steeper sta's work great. refreshing not having to perch on top of the tip of the saddle.  love these guys that are pushing the aggressive end of the geometry spectrum to see what if - with positive results. funny that people were laughing at the numbers porter was espousing several years ago, and now the majors are all moving (slowly, albeit) in that direction.

Nov. 16, 2018, 10:17 a.m.

What's the benefit of a slack STA? I look at a bike like the Trek Slash and think "looks like a sweet bike, but why is the STA so damn slack compared to most other bikes in the category".

Nov. 16, 2018, 1:37 p.m.

What's the benefit of a slack STA? I look at a bike like the Trek Slash and think "looks like a sweet bike"

You answered your own question

Nov. 16, 2018, 7:45 p.m.

What's the benefit of a slack STA? I look at a bike like the Trek Slash and think "looks like a sweet bike, but why is the STA so damn slack compared to most other bikes in the category".

The "benefit" is that, on a bike with short reach, your knees don't smack the handlebars when pedalling seated. Without a long reach to go along with it, making the seat tube steep just isn't really an option from a fit perspective.

Last edited by: Kenny on Nov. 16, 2018, 7:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2018, 9:51 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

To that I ask “so what?”

None of us get the max from our bikes. It doesn’t mean that we should not be riding them. You deserve that Evo. Go get one right away and report back on the size of your smile. Don’t delay! You’ve earned this!!!

Oh don't worry I'm not ever adverse to treating myself. 

My comment was more about the compromises in the SJ Evo that make it what it is. For my intents and purposes, I'm looking less for a downhiller's trail bike but more for a hack's do everything bike -- I ultimately ended up on a Range 29 with more conventional geometry to create more separation from my Chromag.

Nov. 17, 2018, 10:46 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Posted by: Ddean

To that I ask “so what?”

None of us get the max from our bikes. It doesn’t mean that we should not be riding them. You deserve that Evo. Go get one right away and report back on the size of your smile. Don’t delay! You’ve earned this!!!

Oh don't worry I'm not ever adverse to treating myself. 

My comment was more about the compromises in the SJ Evo that make it what it is. For my intents and purposes, I'm looking less for a downhiller's trail bike but more for a hack's do everything bike -- I ultimately ended up on a Range 29 with more conventional geometry to create more separation from my Chromag.

Yeah I read that review and thought "sounds like a sweet bike, but I bet the regular version is for me."  There's lots to be gained from this new geometry, but if you regularly ride really tight corners, particularly on climbs, than it sounds like there are some significant drawbacks.  Nice thing is that there's starting to be some choice and blending of the approaches.  I'll take a vertical seat tube and slightly slacker and longer front end than my 2014, but I have no interest in what they're doing at the bleeding edge of this geometry.

Nov. 17, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

I guess its not really a "long travel" 29er by the latest definition, bit what do we think about it the new evil offering?

https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/offering

Maybe a little small for the most rowdy shore trails, but still pretty interesting. I bet the next iteration of the wreckoning will be one crazy bike....