long travel wagon wheelers

Nov. 12, 2018, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

New Stumpjumper EVO looks interesting at 63.5/64* and long with 140mm. Reviews seem to say it can pedal up but theyre not calling it an Enduro bike (that Ive seen). 

Interesting bike. Alloy only for now.

Really cool bike and props to spec for even making such a beast, but for me that bottom bracket height is nearly useless for shore riding. 328mm in low is crazy low. 

I'm also if the opinion that 29ers don't need such low BB heights because lowering the BB is as much a function of getting it lower than the axles as it is getting it physically low to the ground, and the axles are of course about 19mm higher, give or take.

Nov. 12, 2018, 8:09 p.m.

you can put shorter cranks and/or use the flip chip to increase BB height.  My Enduro (165mm) has 335mm BB height and I use 175mm cranks on the shore and don't have problems.  You learn technique and lines.

Nov. 12, 2018, 10:11 p.m.

I was super excited about the prospect of the Stumpy Evo. Much like how when the original Banshee Spitfire came out it was touted as the DHer's trail bike, the Stumpy Evo is exactly that.

Then I realized I probably don't ride near hard nor aggressive enough to get the most of it.

Nov. 12, 2018, 11 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: Bagheera

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread, IIRC:

https://www.boldcycles.com/shop/bikes/unplugged/

Nice bike, climbs ok,  when seated it seems shorter than the numbers would suggest, steering is extremely "direct" (for lack of a better term).

Do you have one? Dealing with Pole has turned me off of any small brands overseas so as much as this bike looks cool I'm VERY apprehensive about it.

No, I don't own one, but I did two demo rides (each about 1.5h) on one (actually, two different bikes). Since I'm torn between the Bold and the Evolink, I'd be very interested in hearing about your issues with Pole.

Nov. 12, 2018, 11:11 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

I was super excited about the prospect of the Stumpy Evo. Much like how when the original Banshee Spitfire came out it was touted as the DHer's trail bike, the Stumpy Evo is exactly that.

Then I realized I probably don't ride near hard nor aggressive enough to get the most of it.

To that I ask “so what?”

None of us get the max from our bikes. It doesn’t mean that we should not be riding them. You deserve that Evo. Go get one right away and report back on the size of your smile. Don’t delay! You’ve earned this!!!

Nov. 12, 2018, 11:43 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

To that I ask “so what?”

None of us get the max from our bikes. It doesn’t mean that we should not be riding them.

Amen to that :)

Nov. 13, 2018, 5:51 a.m.

Nice bike, climbs ok,  when seated it seems shorter than the numbers would suggest, steering is extremely "direct" (for lack of a better term).

Do you have one? Dealing with Pole has turned me off of any small brands overseas so as much as this bike looks cool I'm VERY apprehensive about it.

No, I don't own one, but I did two demo rides (each about 1.5h) on one (actually, two different bikes). Since I'm torn between the Bold and the Evolink, I'd be very interested in hearing about your issues with Pole.

Basically ordered the frame, got slammed with exchange and VAT which isn't a fault of Poles. Rode the bike for a while, noticed the shock acting weird (weezing, clunking etc). Remove shock to see top tube shock mount is bent. Hear through the grapevine and later confirmed that some other locals with Poles have the EXACT same issue with bent frame and clunky shocks. Send mine in for warranty (on my $ again so now the overall bill is getting quite high). I get told i hit 'too big of a jump and bottomed out hard' and got offered a crash replace deal which is going to cost over $1000 cad for a front triangle which I can't even ride here because they're weak af. Stay away is my advice.  There's alot to be said for buying locally designed bikes as our demands here are quite different from the rest of the world.

Nov. 13, 2018, 9:14 a.m.

Basically ordered the frame, got slammed with exchange and VAT which isn't a fault of Poles. Rode the bike for a while, noticed the shock acting weird (weezing, clunking etc). Remove shock to see top tube shock mount is bent. Hear through the grapevine and later confirmed that some other locals with Poles have the EXACT same issue with bent frame and clunky shocks. Send mine in for warranty (on my $ again so now the overall bill is getting quite high). I get told i hit 'too big of a jump and bottomed out hard' and got offered a crash replace deal which is going to cost over $1000 cad for a front triangle which I can't even ride here because they're weak af. Stay away is my advice.  There's alot to be said for buying locally designed bikes as our demands here are quite different from the rest of the world.

This sounds about right. The Monarch on my Evolink 158 had low IFP pressure straight from go. I just got it rebuilt and it feels like a new bike. It would be great if a North American brand would sac up and make a bike like this. I'm looking at Geometron but damn those are even more expensive and come attached to an equally curmudgeonly designer who I would hate to get on the wrong side of.

Nov. 13, 2018, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: craw

This sounds about right. The Monarch on my Evolink 158 had low IFP pressure straight from go. I just got it rebuilt and it feels like a new bike. It would be great if a North American brand would sac up and make a bike like this. I'm looking at Geometron but damn those are even more expensive and come attached to an equally curmudgeonly designer who I would hate to get on the wrong side of.

We live in frustrating time my man

Nov. 13, 2018, 2:52 p.m.

Posted by: craw

We live in frustrating time my man

I'd recommend a G16 to anyone.  The landed cost was about the same as any of the über carbon frames at the time.  Only other frame really being considered was the Slash 9.9RSL.  Today, I'd consider the SB150, but still give the nod to the G16 9/10 times.  The MOJO G16 is a beast of a bike.  Can be run with either 155/175mm rear travel. 275 or 29 wheels F/R or hybrid. Some guys run a lowered dual crown up front. Jack Reading raced a G16 w/HD down tube in the WC DH series while they were dealing in the G19. 

If one was concerned with MOJO; Nicolai offers a fairly similar frame or the custom option.

Nov. 14, 2018, 9:36 a.m.

Hey T-Mack - you paid VAT? When i worked in the UK (15+ years ago..) it was a regular thing that we would give people VAT exemption forms for bikes we sold that they were taking out of the country right away.

It's a bit late for the complete frame, but IIRC VAT runs @20%? so might be worth pursuing for the front triangle.

Nov. 15, 2018, 9:14 a.m.

Very cool. Nicolai and Pole are all by themselves out there eh

Nov. 15, 2018, 11:15 a.m.

Do any of you guys have a Transition Sentinel? I assumed they would be pretty brutal @ climbing so I never seriously considered one but based on what I've been reading people say they climb totally fine. And obviously it would be a beast on the downhill. Interested to hear some local impressions. 

Also, anyone know if any local shops have a demo bike available (NSBS, Dunbar, etc.)?

Nov. 15, 2018, 11:32 a.m.

Only rode one for two days as a demo bike. Size L, which is too small for me. Was impressed with the climbing on steeper/rockier stuff, lots of traction and the front wheel stays down. While climbing fireroads/roads it felt like a lot of bike. Times weren't that bad, but it always felt like a lot of work to get there. Descending was good, sometimes even excellent. Turns, you have to lean, not steer. Tight corners (especially one after the other) are not it's forte. Go demo it (sorry, I'm not local), if it suits you, you'll love it. While I liked it (even a lot, sometimes) it just didn't feel quite right for me.

Nov. 15, 2018, 11:58 a.m.

I rode one for two months before I got my Pole. I used it as a stepping stone to confirm the slack/steep/short offset stuff. I really liked it overall - a very fun bike to ride. I found it was a bit neutral compared to the Evil I had before. For me it fit very small and I wanted a steeper STA and longer rear end for better fore-aft balance, which I got with the Pole. The XXL Sentinel offers more reach but the same STA/CS. But to return to your question, I thought it climbed ok though a bit neutral. If you want a bike with lots of antisquat tug I'd look elsewhere. Though it's possible that a chainring smaller than the 32t I ran would accomplish this.

Last edited by: craw on Nov. 15, 2018, 11:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.