long travel wagon wheelers

Aug. 14, 2018, 8:31 p.m.

That other French guy who came outta nowhere to win three straight WC DH races on a 29er or the other Frenchman who won the previous one...

Years ago it was proven how stupid DH racers are when they agreed to ban skin suits from racing.  WC DH: The original "Speed and Style" competition.  UCI should run with that marketing campaign.

Aug. 15, 2018, 9:22 a.m.

Anybody putting in a decent amount of days on a 29er in the WB park? Looking to ditch the Glory 0 and go full enduro. Commencal Meta 29 seems to be the top choice so far, but can't get one until October and they were fully booked for Crankworx demos right away (and didn't bring mediums).

Seems like there are some deals on Ranges as well. Capra looks like great value obviously, but the water bottle thing actually matters to me. Stumpjumper Evo is intriguing as well.

Aug. 15, 2018, 9:49 a.m.

Posted by: luckbox

Anybody putting in a decent amount of days on a 29er in the WB park? Looking to ditch the Glory 0 and go full enduro. Commencal Meta 29 seems to be the top choice so far, but can't get one until October and they were fully booked for Crankworx demos right away (and didn't bring mediums).

Seems like there are some deals on Ranges as well. Capra looks like great value obviously, but the water bottle thing actually matters to me. Stumpjumper Evo is intriguing as well.

Stumpy EVO is a low volume run , I looked into them , as they where supposed to be available last month. Looking like Sept now and there is only a few hundred and only one model to choose from. Was told they are testing the market with it , if it sells out they will commit to a carbon design in the future.

I have been toying with a much more aggressive 29er as well . Just not sure what direction to go . The YT Capra and the Commencal Mega 29  have a killer spec bike for 4K or so , yeah it,s aluminum , but I don,t care. My guess is after Interbike the market with be pretty much full of whats to come . And some new decisions and choices will pop up.

Aug. 15, 2018, 10:17 a.m.

Local shop said the Evos were available now from the distributor. Only one build and two sizes, $4,600 CAD they said (no info on Specialized's Canadian site). I'm fine with aluminum for what I'll be using the bike for.

Aug. 15, 2018, 11:43 a.m.

Posted by: luckbox

Steed Cycles has a '19 Santa Cruz Hightower LT from the rep available for demo...

Aug. 15, 2018, 11:47 a.m.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/mens-stumpjumper-evo-comp-alloy-29/p/159451?color=254571-159451

Aug. 15, 2018, 11:57 a.m.

Thanks, couldn't find that a few days ago for some reason. Have you seen a weight figure anywhere?

Aug. 15, 2018, 6:05 p.m.

Yeah stumpy Evo looks really interesting. Sure wish there was a frame only option. :(

Aug. 16, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Yeah stumpy Evo looks really interesting. Sure wish there was a frame only option. :(

Maybe next year if sales are good from this batch is what I was told. When I contacted them about a frame set a couple months back.

Aug. 16, 2018, 9:22 p.m.

So this is a mini-bullshit review of the Firebird 29. Demoed one in Whistler on Dark Crystal. Purchased one from Obsession the next day. Have spent time on enough other 29ers to make some comparisons and really don't think too many bikes can match the pedaling ability, geometry, stiffness and playfullness of this bike. Standing pedaling it's as good of better than other bikes I've ever ridden, and certainly doesn't feel like a 160 mm bike.  Clearly it is very capable on the downs as a 170/160 mm 29er.

The build kits do seem a bit odd at first glance but it does seem a lot of thought has been put into them, and they work well.

This thing seriously kills it. Anyone looking for a long-travel 29er would do well to consider it.

Last edited by: oldmanbuilder on Aug. 17, 2018, 8:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 17, 2018, 9:37 a.m.

Thanks for the review. I was considering the Firebird for next year but I am so use to my Sentinel now I thought I might as well put it on a 3lb diet for next season. Those that couldn't wait until 2019 and went with the 2018 carbon----the new ones have moar carbon (rocker). Probably the last bike I get out of the USA if we start seeing tariffs between US and China 8-)

Last edited by: awesterner on Aug. 17, 2018, 9:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 17, 2018, 10:51 a.m.

Posted by: awesterner

Thanks for the review. I was considering the Firebird for next year but I am so use to my Sentinel now I thought I might as well put it on a 3lb diet for next season. Those that couldn't wait until 2019 and went with the 2018 carbon----the new ones have moar carbon (rocker). Probably the last bike I get out of the USA if we start seeing tariffs between US and China 8-)

There will be an upside to brands that have Canadian distribution that land product directly into Canada from overseas. They'll be able to better price the product in Canada.

Aug. 17, 2018, 11:13 p.m.

Yeah...Rocky, Devinci, Giant, Knolly etc. Do the big boys ship direct to Canada (Trek, Specialized)?

Aug. 18, 2018, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: oldmanbuilder

So this is a mini-bullshit review of the Firebird 29. ...

This thing seriously kills it. Anyone looking for a long-travel 29er would do well to consider it.

Thank you for the review!

Aug. 18, 2018, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: awesterner

Yeah...Rocky, Devinci, Giant, Knolly etc. Do the big boys ship direct to Canada (Trek, Specialized)?

Specialized has an office/distro in Quebec. No idea if bikes/parts land directly in French-land.  I can't recall about Trek.  They do have some form of global distribution