long travel wagon wheelers

May 10, 2018, 7:44 p.m.

Trek Fuel EX 9.8 overforked with a 150mm MRP Ribbon.  This is a sick whip!!

May 10, 2018, 8:27 p.m.

Everbody's talkin' about those Ribbons! What's the buzz?

May 10, 2018, 8:38 p.m.

This

Posted by: tungsten

Everbody's talkin' about those Ribbons! What's the buzz?

This is my 3rd MRP fork. They are just impressive. Simple to setup and adjust and easily tuneable with their Ramp Control. I am an outlier with suspension in general. I have always liked more obscure brands like BOS, Formula and now MRP.

Last edited by: GladePlayboy on May 10, 2018, 8:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2018, 8:56 p.m.

Interesting. What's your Trek like pedaling up steep grades 'cause it look like you're sitting over the back axle.

May 10, 2018, 9:06 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Interesting. What's your Trek like pedaling up steep grades 'cause it look like you're sitting over the back axle.

Its fine.   Climbs well actually.   The overforking does affect the STA but its a reasonable trade off for me.

May 11, 2018, 1:54 p.m.

I have a Kona 153 29

At first I wasn't sure it was right after my old 650b 153, I'd set that up with a luftkappe & avalanche tuned dhx air, carbon wheels etc.

The new bike was heavy, climbs a lot better, but I wasn't happy on steep descents.

(Also say after 6 months Tranz-x budget dropper as good if not better than reverb & KS Lev)

Hope brakes, carbon bars, 11-46 xt cassette made a difference to weight.

Biggest difference was getting a novyparts damper to replace the moco in the Yari, like a different fork, & a different bike!

The wheels are still way too heavy, but rode a round of UK gravity endruro series in Scotland a few weeks  back (ridden same trails on my old bike for EWS 2 years ago) and the new bike is just epic.

Lighter wheels & a better rear shock on my upgrade list 

but it's still faster & more stable on steeps than my old 153, takes more muscle to lean it into corners, but it carries more speed out of them & unlike my old bike never throws the chain, no matter how rough.

May 11, 2018, 8:38 p.m.

I demo'd the Evil Wreckoning. 29" 161mm rear travel. I was bored. The bike made everything too easy. I've been riding 29er hardtails since the late 90's and appreciate what they do for my ride but to have fun on them you need to get a geometry that allows really short chainstays. If you are into choosing a straight line through any tech section and going over everything like it isn't there then long travel 29 is the way to go. 27.5 is more fun to ride imo. The bike accelerates quickly and easily, feels more lively and is better in the tight technical terrain that I prefer. For shuttling whistler runs or flow trails the 29 is definitely a faster and more stable bike.

The one thing I will say that blew my mind was that the Wreckoning didn't even feel good until you were going over 20k/h. The faster you go the more stable it felt. It feels more like a motorcycle that you have to lean to turn rather than turning the handlebars - incredible ride! Just not the ride I'm looking for. BTW, I'm 6'2" and 220lbs and these were my impressions, I certainly would not recommend a long travel 29er for people 5'7" and under.

May 12, 2018, 2:19 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I demo'd the Evil Wreckoning. 29" 161mm rear travel. I was bored. The bike made everything too easy. I've been riding 29er hardtails since the late 90's and appreciate what they do for my ride but to have fun on them you need to get a geometry that allows really short chainstays. If you are into choosing a straight line through any tech section and going over everything like it isn't there then long travel 29 is the way to go. 27.5 is more fun to ride imo. The bike accelerates quickly and easily, feels more lively and is better in the tight technical terrain that I prefer. For shuttling whistler runs or flow trails the 29 is definitely a faster and more stable bike.

The one thing I will say that blew my mind was that the Wreckoning didn't even feel good until you were going over 20k/h. The faster you go the more stable it felt. It feels more like a motorcycle that you have to lean to turn rather than turning the handlebars - incredible ride! Just not the ride I'm looking for. BTW, I'm 6'2" and 220lbs and these were my impressions, I certainly would not recommend a long travel 29er for people 5'7" and under.

Agreed. That bike needs to be ridden super hard. Though if you're over 6'2" the slack seat tower can be problematic from a fit perspective.

May 13, 2018, 3:33 p.m.

Posted by: GladePlayboy

Nice.  I overforked my dads Fuel EX 9 29er from a few seasons back.  Replaced the 32 with a 34 10mm more travel.  Trek followed suit the next model year. 

I'm keen to try something other than the big fork companies.  Formula Selva is up near the top. Ribbon as well.

May 14, 2018, 3:40 a.m.

Pole. Machine.

May 14, 2018, 5:54 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Posted by: GladePlayboy

Nice.  I overforked my dads Fuel EX 9 29er from a few seasons back.  Replaced the 32 with a 34 10mm more travel.  Trek followed suit the next model year. 

I'm keen to try something other than the big fork companies.  Formula Selva is up near the top. Ribbon as well.

Ironically I also have the Formula Selva on my Rootdown BA.... awesome fork as well... very tuneable.

May 15, 2018, 2:07 p.m.

Posted by: bmak

Anyone ridden the new Instinct?

I guess you mean BC edition since this is a long travel thread, but yeah I am riding the new A70 and I think it is a great value. As a super tall dude I wish it had more reach, but it's not bad with a 60mm stem and a bit of rise. I had a 2015 BC edition previously which was a great bike, the new bike is way nicer. Climbs better and more fun/agile than the old bike. I won't comment on the suspension since I went from XFusion -which was great for the price point- to Fox performance elite and of course it's way better in every aspect. 

2018 XL Instinct A70

Last edited by: cyclotoine on May 15, 2018, 2:09 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 7, 2018, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

My plan is to get a more aggressive 29er down the road and lighten this one up.

Devinci is racing a 29" Spartan so they do have something in the works. Be interesting to see if they do a 29" Troy again .

The new EVO Stumpy in raw aluminum has peaked my interest as well . Not the most travel out there but a decent amount for what I ride and the geo looks really good as well.

And truthfully after riding a 170/167mm 26" and switching to a 150/120 29" I have pretty much crushed all my old PR,s up and down .

My Trusty Prime finally had it's last ride last month...it was an awesome bike. With the distributor being in the US the cost of a crash replacement is going to be around $1600...so I am starting to look at other options.

So I test rode a Django last night and loved it...it feels like it wants to go faster..and when you push it a bit it's a blast to ride. There is a new Spartan and Troy in the works...at least that's what the rumour I heard. 29er Troy (140 rear/150 front, a total redesign from the ground up) to come out at the end of this month and the 29er Spartan maybe end of year or early next! But...again, these are just rumours I have heard...so who knows if they are true or not.

Last edited by: pedalhound on June 7, 2018, 9:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 7, 2018, noon

Posted by: pedalhound

the rumour I heard. 29er Troy (140 rear/150 front, a total redesign from the ground up) to come out at the end of this month ...so who knows if they are true or not.

Who? Where? c'mon...........

June 7, 2018, 12:25 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Posted by: DemonMike

My plan is to get a more aggressive 29er down the road and lighten this one up.

Devinci is racing a 29" Spartan so they do have something in the works. Be interesting to see if they do a 29" Troy again .

The new EVO Stumpy in raw aluminum has peaked my interest as well . Not the most travel out there but a decent amount for what I ride and the geo looks really good as well.

And truthfully after riding a 170/167mm 26" and switching to a 150/120 29" I have pretty much crushed all my old PR,s up and down .

My Trusty Prime finally had it's last ride last month...it was an awesome bike. With the distributor being in the US the cost of a crash replacement is going to be around $1600...so I am starting to look at other options.

So I test rode a Django last night and loved it...it feels like it wants to go faster..and when you push it a bit it's a blast to ride. There is a new Spartan and Troy in the works...at least that's what the rumour I heard. 29er Troy (140 rear/150 front, a total redesign from the ground up) to come out at the end of this month and the 29er Spartan maybe end of year or early next! But...again, these are just rumours I have heard...so who knows if they are true or not.

I have seen the Spartan online , It looks killer and fingers crossed they bring it out. Troy sounds cool , just not sure how much difference it would be than the way I have built my Django . Now that I did the Vorsprung up grades to my 36 and rear shock the bike is a whole new beast:)