Long travel 29er for the shore?

July 13, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

Curious about the Slash 29. When would it be released?

Great of the Yeti in the new Bike mag.
So many good bikes out there

What was said of the Yeti?

Indeed.

Yep, spoilt for choice.

I had one of those rides where I just fell in love with my Evil Following again last night. That bike is so playful and fun to ride. When you have that kind of zest in you to throw it around it is such a willing bike.

When The Following was released all I could do was say "Damn!" I like the subtle changes to it. What shock do you run? I'd love to fit a piggyback shock on there.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 14, 2016, 11:57 a.m.

Evil Bikes seems to have taken down the Wreckoning from their website. (Though now, I'm not sure it was ever there)

July 14, 2016, 2:09 p.m.

Evil Bikes seems to have taken down the Wreckoning from their website. (Though now, I'm not sure it was ever there)

The Wreckoning was never put up on the website. Evil dont keep it up to date for some reason. Seems Fanatik Bikes in Bellingham is their proxy website for Wreckoning information.

July 14, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

I reckon you may be right.

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2016, 8:59 a.m.

The Wreckoning sounds like a fun bike but I would be pretty sketched out spending that kind of cash with a company that can't update their website. Will they be answering warranty calls in a couple of years if the website is too much to handle?

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

July 15, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

I discovered the same with my 167 and doing 30km plus races , too much bike , looking for a smaller travel bigger wheeled bike for longer rides .

dumb question time! I've only owned a couple mountain bikes, and both of them have been on the smaller travel side. (120mm 2011 Rocky Element, 140mm 2014 Rock Instinct).

I've been lusting over these bigger travel 29ers. When you say it's too much bike ? Is it too heavy, too awkward on long climbs, or with all that suspension it's just not pedal friendly ? What makes it too much bike ?

Thanks!

July 15, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

dumb question time! I've only owned a couple mountain bikes, and both of them have been on the smaller travel side. (120mm 2011 Rocky Element, 140mm 2014 Rock Instinct).

I've been lusting over these bigger travel 29ers. When you say it's too much bike ? Is it too heavy, too awkward on long climbs, or with all that suspension it's just not pedal friendly ? What makes it too much bike ?

Thanks!

For me it,s too slack for long duration climbs , and towards the end of a long race/ride it feels real heavy and lazy requiring more effort to ride .

As far as pedal friendly the bike works real well on the up,s , I run a 32T oval up front and swapped the Vivid for a Monarch with a lock-out and it,s made a huge difference . Some of the hills I climb I barely use the 42t I spend more time using the 36 .

Suspension wise for the longer races with more single track I,d like 120mm to 150mm with a bigger wheel size , seeing I still run a 26" .

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 15, 2016, 2:19 p.m.

When The Following was released all I could do was say "Damn!" I like the subtle changes to it. What shock do you run? I'd love to fit a piggyback shock on there.

Just the stock Monarch but with an extra spacer in the air can to help it ramp up a touch more. A piggyback sadly won't fit the Following. The shock can get pretty warm on rides when I'm hitting it hard but hasn't let go on me yet. I'm running the fork at 140mm and the bike in the "low" setting. The geo in X-low is too slack with that travel of fork.

Jon-boy.

July 16, 2016, 10 a.m.

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/attachments/1468632643177-jpg.122858/

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/attachments/20160715_190728-jpg.122859/

this bike has my attention official release is tomorrow , all I know it,s a 29r with roughly 120mm of travel , fits a water bottle in the frame and the geo in the images looks perfect IMO

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 16, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

I love that manufacturers are doing all they can to get a bottle inside of the frame triangle these days. BUT, aesthetics, at least for me…meh. What's the point of designing a frame that attempts to have the shock and linkages as low as possible, only to have almost 2lbs of bottle and water high up on the triangle?

Santa Cruz and Specialized seems to have the design dialled with a bottle. I'm sure there are others…

July 16, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

What was said of the Yeti?

They loved it.

It is a contender with the Wreckoning and probably the upcoming Slash 29 as a purpose built enduro racing bike. Not be best climber due to the slack (66.5) head angle and 160mm of travel, but it is solid when racing down.

I'm starting to see that perhaps the future is 27.5 for DH and 29 for everything else.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

July 16, 2016, 6:32 p.m.

while LLS is The Way of all current bikes, 29ers included, there is quite a range across the bikes mentioned. the fascination (obsession?) with short chain stays, especially for 29ers is all over the board here. the Jeffsy is short(ish) the E29 is very short. i'm not seeing any clear bike journalism winners based on chainstay length and even reach dimensions are not that long relative to some. the Jeffsey looks positively 'normal' compared to some which are much longer and with shorter stays. the point is while all look great on paper, i'm betting the fit and feel of each is going to be quite different suiting different preferences. one mans 'best bike ever' anothers, 'meh'. demo demo demo.

July 17, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

I've got a following too, and… what Jon-boy said. It's an awesome ride!
I had it in low mode with a 140mm fork and it really feels like DH bike geometry set up that way.

To your question: the little monarch on the following, at the top, feels better than some coil shock 7" bikes I owned years ago. It also pedals great and seems nearly impossible to bottom out. How did they do it? Talking to Kevin he mentioned the frame being specifically designed around that little shock, shock volume [HTML_REMOVED] tune. Said the tiny shock was the trick to making it so poppy. He mentioned they pondered voiding the warranty if you ran anything else, because you could really eff up your frame by combining that leverage curve with a more linear/higher volume shock.

Kind interesting, I've found I prefer running the rebound full fast on mine.

TBH, I rode a Following before they first released, at the time I was just put off on principle by the PF BB, the high leverage/single pivot, not being able to run a resi shock, having to run crazy high pressures, unknown support, etc etc. A year later I bought one, and 6 months in it's my favorite AM 29'er yet by far. The PF92 bearings don't last very long, but it's ultra stiff and silent. Being able to carry a WB (and tools in a saddle bag) rocks.

At the Seattle area AM/DH trailheads you see like %60 evil bikes now. As a local shop guy said, at a shop that does not sell Evil, "if you test ride one, you will buy one". Strong endorsement.

Expect that maybe when the entire world goes to metric shocks, there maybe a following with a resi shock. At the moment I don't believe anyone makes one in that size/stroke.

July 19, 2016, 12:44 a.m.

There she is. Float X2 stock as a frame only option.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/trek-slash-29-first-look-2016.html

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 19, 2016, 9:42 a.m.

There she is. Float X2 stock as a frame only option.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/trek-slash-29-first-look-2016.html

only in carbon and the last Trek frame I priced out was over $4K , not everyone wants a carbon bike or a bike worth $10K+ for that matter . It is a nice looking bike , just more bike than I need .

#northsidetrailbuilders