Long-stroke Hightower

June 19, 2017, 8:01 p.m.

How do you know! TELL ME YOUR SOURCES!!!

June 19, 2017, 11:11 p.m.

Posted by: jan

How do you know! TELL ME YOUR SOURCES!!!

I was curious about that as well. I had heard rumors that there would be an early June and an early July announcement, and we have the N4... but I haven't seen anything definitive. 

As for the 160 front, 150 rear setup that comes with the 57mm stroke and going to a longer fork, I think some of the magic is added capability up front. I got to beat on the full Enve/X01 demo build, and it still wasn't that snappy climbing (technical or flat) - just eminently capable. Longer shock isn't going to take that away. 

Since it's already a bit of a bulldozer downhill anyway, I can see the appeal of adding A2C while keeping the bb drop close to stock.  On a larger negative air spring shock, some of the kinematic hyperactivity from punchy pedaling efforts calms down slightly, while achieving a more supple feel on small stuff. The other contributor to why people love their long shock setups is that many went from a Monarch RT3 DBA, a good but not great shock, to a Float X2, Topaz, Ohlins TTX, or Vivid Air.

June 20, 2017, 1:25 a.m.

Posted by: tehllama42

[...] I think some of the magic is added capability up front. I got to beat on the full Enve/X01 demo build, and it still wasn't that snappy climbing (technical or flat) - just eminently capable. Longer shock isn't going to take that away. 

Since it's already a bit of a bulldozer downhill anyway, I can see the appeal of adding A2C while keeping the bb drop close to stock.  On a larger negative air spring shock, some of the kinematic hyperactivity from punchy pedaling efforts calms down slightly, while achieving a more supple feel on small stuff. The other contributor to why people love their long shock setups is that many went from a Monarch RT3 DBA, a good but not great shock, to a Float X2, Topaz, Ohlins TTX, or Vivid Air.

That's a good point.  I went from riding a Hightower with a Monarch RT3 (once on a demo) to a CC Inline Air (long stroke) to a CC Inline Coil (long stroke). I don't exactly have a control group for my testing. And I've always been on a 160mm fork. Either way, I'm really happy with the current setup.