Local RockShox Damper Tuning

Nov. 9, 2018, 1:16 p.m.

Posted by: coolatt

Posted by: grambo

I have one already.  I liked it better that the luftkappe as I don't run volume spacers.

Posted by: Hepcat

I just bought a Debonair cartridge for the Pike, retails for $42 if you're looking for cheap...

Can you expand that a bit (Luftkappe vs Debonair upgrade)? I have the Luftkappe in my 2017 150mm Pike and love it... but I want to put in a 160mm air shaft which would be the new Debonair.. was debating whether to swap my Luftkappe over or try the Debonair.

I run one bottomless token with the Luftkappe (used to run 2 stock), 108psi, rebound 4 from closed, LSC 9 from closed.

At the time, as stock I was not running any volume spacers. Installing the luftkappe reduces the volume of the positive spring equal to a spacer and adds it to the negative side. So by reducing the positive volume, increasing the negative volume and running less pressure as recommended, I felt the fork was too soft in the beginning and to stiff at in the end. 

The debonair spring adds negative volume via a hollow shaft and does not reduce the positive volume. I just prefer the debonair piston, higher pressure and no spacers.

Gotcha, that is fair, I didn't realize the design difference. Maybe it was a typo, but Vorsprung recommends more PSI (and 1-2 less tokens) with the Luftkappe not less pressure. 

Ended up finding just a 160mm airshaft for $40CAD so I picked that up as I'm happy with the Luftkappe.

May 14, 2019, 10:42 a.m.

MTB fork tuning fuckery time of year once again.

Non-boost forks can be found for smoking deals I noticed. Couldn't resist, so sold my Pike and picked up a 180mm Lyrik. Changed the airshaft out to 160mm and got a Debonair airshaft upgrade in the process. Peeled off the non-matching decals and threw some snazy new model decals on too.

All in it was $250 out of pocket after Pike trade-in and holy fuck what a difference.

May 27, 2019, 12:31 p.m.

So Lyrik chassis is noticeable improvement from Pike in terms of stiffness? I have a '17 Pike with Luftkappe and it's good in terms of damping but I wouldn't mind more stiffness as I'm a big guy. I like 36's but can't justify the cost... also running non-boost front.

May 27, 2019, 9:25 p.m.

So Lyrik chassis is noticeable improvement from Pike in terms of stiffness? I have a '17 Pike with Luftkappe and it's good in terms of damping but I wouldn't mind more stiffness as I'm a big guy. I like 36's but can't justify the cost... also running non-boost front.

look at the Suntour durolux forks. there's a small weight penalty but superb stiffness and no creaky crowns. depending on the year they're a bit noisy in terms of the damper action, but they work great and are very easy to service at home. Andrew's done reviews on a few of them as well as service teardowns.

https://nsmb.com/articles/suntour-durolux-rc2-29er-fork-reviewed/

May 28, 2019, 9:44 a.m.

So Lyrik chassis is noticeable improvement from Pike in terms of stiffness? ...

Yes, there was for me. I'm running torque caps too. I weigh 190.

They all still feel like noodles compared to dual crowns.

June 3, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

Thanks guys... will keep an eye out for deals. Came across a 2019 Fox 36 Performance Elite (GRIP2 damper) new take-off for $650 but the steer tube was too short... and yeah nothing beats a dual crown but not practical for trail riding. Still miss my Factory 40.

Last edited by: grambo on June 3, 2019, 12:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 3, 2019, 1:06 p.m.

I just picked up a Lyrik Ultimate for a pretty good deal off of PB. I have a Helm for sale in the classifieds there if you are looking for something of the 27.5 flavor?

June 4, 2019, 1:46 p.m.

Thanks for the offer but trying to keep it to a 36 and maybe a Lyrik... I'm a big dude and know the stiffness of those two is what I want over my current Pike. Nice find on the Ultimate, looks like a sweet fork.

Last edited by: grambo on June 4, 2019, 1:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 4, 2019, 2:27 p.m.

I hear you on the stiffness side. The Helm is plenty stiff, and had TOO much progression for me. Im not a big dude, or overly aggressive rider so it didnt work out for me. If you are heavier and find you are finding the other brands too linear, this one is definitely worth a look. I rode it with no tokens, and it was still too progressive even with the sag set pretty high (35%ish).

Last edited by: shoreboy on June 4, 2019, 2:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 5, 2019, 10:10 a.m.

Rear shock: Anyone do a Vorsprung upgrade on their Monarch Plus Debonair? 

Website offers the upgrade for sale but is slim on info.

June 5, 2019, 12:15 p.m.

I just got mine back but have only had 1 ride on it. So far, I would say that for tech climbing it is more supportive but also more compliant. Downhill I don't have sorted yet, it  doesn't feel quite as good as before on medium hits and drops, like on espresso and john deer. Could be the compression tune is not what's best for me or just I need to spend more time tweaking pressure, compression lever and rebound. I'm using the same air pressure and zero tokens like before. They gave me a V7 rebound and compression tune.

June 5, 2019, 1:29 p.m.

MRP has a lightweight(is) dual crown fork that's adjustable in travel. 

https://mrpbike.com/products/bartlett

June 5, 2019, 2:09 p.m.

I just got mine back but have only had 1 ride on it. So far, I would say that for tech climbing it is more supportive but also more compliant. Downhill I don't have sorted yet, it  doesn't feel quite as good as before on medium hits and drops, like on espresso and john deer. Could be the compression tune is not what's best for me or just I need to spend more time tweaking pressure, compression lever and rebound. I'm using the same air pressure and zero tokens like before. They gave me a V7 rebound and compression tune.

Cheers!

What was the turnaround time?

June 5, 2019, 5:11 p.m.

Basically a day. They received it on a wednesday and shipped it back out on thursday.

Last edited by: coolatt on June 5, 2019, 5:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2019, 10:46 a.m.

Could you give us an update on the shock if things get more sorted? 🍻

A solid pedal platform is right up there in priority with all out downhill performance for me.