PNW Loam Lever. Great Idea, Poor Execution!!!!

Jan. 4, 2021, 5:53 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

If you could get the position of the Loam Lever right, would it otherwise be a decent product?

Outside of the short comings in the mounting design it is a solid lever. As RAHrider has pointed out the rubber pad may wear out over time or get damaged and fall off as it appears to just be glued on.

Jan. 4, 2021, 11:39 a.m.

can anyone compare it to the xt dropper lever?

Jan. 4, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

If you could get the position of the Loam Lever right, would it otherwise be a decent product?

Outside of the short comings in the mounting design it is a solid lever. As RAHrider has pointed out the rubber pad may wear out over time or get damaged and fall off as it appears to just be glued on.

I’m glad to hear that as I’m mounting mine today but with the regular clamp as they didn’t have a magura match.

Jan. 4, 2021, 1:01 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

I’m glad to hear that as I’m mounting mine today but with the regular clamp as they didn’t have a magura match.

I have nothing but good things to say about my loam lever with regular clamp.  The plastic pad wearing out/falling off is a non-issue.

Jan. 4, 2021, 4:36 p.m.

Did you get the lever and the post?

Jan. 4, 2021, 9:53 p.m.

I did. Got the new loam in 200

Fitted it. Seems good so far but the post isn’t as smooth as my reverb. Probably needs a few cycles and rides to breakin.

Jan. 5, 2021, 6:54 a.m.

I did. Got the new loam in 200

Fitted it. Seems good so far but the post isn’t as smooth as my reverb. Probably needs a few cycles and rides to breakin.

Did it come with a silver packet of lube? If so un thread the seal collar and squirt some in. It might be dry from the factory. 

As the PNW and OneUp come from the same factory i am curious how they compare. My OneUp is smooth but it dose rattle at full extension. That is why they have the ghetto tape fix.

I have 1k on my 180mm OneUp and its still going strong. This is my third 180mm OneUp v2. No problems with any of them. But my reverbs were always good for about 1500km and then it was an expensive rebuild. Where as the OneUp posts are cheap and easy to fix. So I am sure the same is true for your new Loam post.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/oneup-dropper-v2.1101344/page-9#post-14279747

Jan. 5, 2021, 7 a.m.

No lube included but I did think about adding some. 

I’m not too concerned it looks to be easy to work on and it still goes up and down. And after riding a reverb for the last 6 years I’m looking forward to not spending on service nearly the cost of a new post.

Jan. 5, 2021, 9:41 a.m.

I’m not too concerned it looks to be easy to work on and it still goes up and down. And after riding a reverb for the last 6 years I’m looking forward to not spending on service nearly the cost of a new post.

I have the one up v2 (which apparently came out of the same factory). It was slow/sticky out of the box. I didn't do anything at first. After about a month it was getting worse so I took it apart. It was dry and as a result, some of the anodizing was worn off.

My advice is to lube it early and often.

Jan. 5, 2021, 1:48 p.m.

I have a 200mm Rainier v3 and a 210mm one up v2.

When both freshly lubed I'd say the Rainier is a little smoother, but they both need line every 4 or 5 rides so meh. I'd pay more for better action without needing constant lubing. That. Sounds wierd. But it's true!

Wolfooth lever on both. Best lever ever, especially on Magura with the Magura adapter.

Despite all the competition the Wolf tooth lever is one of those few parts that's just so good it does not leave me curious to try anything else.

Last edited by: Kenny on Jan. 5, 2021, 1:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2021, 2:44 p.m.

That definitely seems to be the achilles heel of all the "Trans-X" made  posts (OneUp, PNW, FSA, Giant etc). They require frequent lube. Luckily they are easy to tear down and re-lube. The cartridges have a solid lifespan compared to the competition. I am super happy I made the switch to them from the Reverbs and KS posts I was running.

Jan. 5, 2021, 2:45 p.m.

I would take RAHrider advice and open it open and lube it. Better safe then sorry.

Jan. 5, 2021, 5:12 p.m.

With all the variability in preferred brake lever positioning, thumb length, etc, I never thought the integrated brake/shifter mounting was worth it. Saves 15grams of parts but ultimately leaves someone unhappy with positioning options. I'll take separate discrete mounting clamps please, every time.

Last edited by: flattire2 on Jan. 5, 2021, 5:15 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 5, 2021, 6:03 p.m.

Posted by: flattire2

With all the variability in preferred brake lever positioning, thumb length, etc, I never thought the integrated brake/shifter mounting was worth it. Saves 15grams of parts but ultimately leaves someone unhappy with positioning options. I'll take separate discrete mounting clamps please, every time.

Just depends. I've actually had the opposite problem as well, where putting the clamp inboard made a lever closer than I wanted and outboard made it too far away so it was still a compromise.

Jan. 5, 2021, 6:50 p.m.

I would take RAHrider advice and open it open and lube it. Better safe then sorry.

Ya I think it makes sense.

Edited: I took it apart (super easy) and added some triflow and it’s much smoother.

Last edited by: Poz on Jan. 5, 2021, 9:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.