Lights...

Nov. 2, 2010, 8:33 a.m.

Magic Shine are shit,it's like going to gun fight with a tooth pick! But if you wanna punt at night go Magic Shine,if you wanna pin it it go Lupine!

You've trolled a magicshine thread before, and the conclusion was the set you saw was defective, but if you want to spend six times as much on a light system that's not a significant amount brighter, then I'm not going to stop you.

Nov. 2, 2010, 8:43 a.m.

Magic Shine are shit,it's like going to gun fight with a tooth pick! But if you wanna punt at night go Magic Shine,if you wanna pin it it go Lupine!

Maybe because your a Superstar Mountain Dew commercial veteran and you can "outrun" your light but for me (and the average person), I myself find my 2 MS 900's (1 on bar, 1 on helmet) are more than enough light to go as fast as I care to go, day or night. I have never found myself thinking "gee, these are shit, I wish these were just a tad brighter". Top level racers/pinners like you may want more, but that doesnt really make the lights shit. I definitely wouldnt be sending it on 4LS or Dentist with them though, that is what daylight is for.

I remember the days of riding with a couple 6volt/5w halogens and a 7 lb lead acid battery. Added just enough light that you could find your way and not get lost. Wasnt any less fun.

Eric

Nov. 2, 2010, 8:46 a.m.

You've trolled a magicshine thread before, and the conclusion was the set you saw was defective, but if you want to spend six times as much on a light system that's not a significant amount brighter, then I'm not going to stop you.

I believe biggles has accepted the challenge.

When and where boys?

Nov. 2, 2010, 9:43 a.m.

Maybe because your a Superstar Mountain Dew commercial veteran and you can "outrun" your light but for me (and the average person), I myself find my 2 MS 900's (1 on bar, 1 on helmet) are more than enough light to go as fast as I care to go, day or night. I have never found myself thinking "gee, these are shit, I wish these were just a tad brighter". Top level racers/pinners like you may want more, but that doesnt really make the lights shit. I definitely wouldnt be sending it on 4LS or Dentist with them though, that is what daylight is for.

I remember the days of riding with a couple 6volt/5w halogens and a 7 lb lead acid battery. Added just enough light that you could find your way and not get lost. Wasnt any less fun.

Night riding will always be a compromise. Some days I actually miss the rides I did where you had to guess what the trail looked like because the light was so crap. At no point have I ever wanted to recreate Daylight at night, since the experience of night riding is so unique.
Funny thing is, I've done parts of Dentist at night, and it was fun, but absolutely terrifying.

Nov. 3, 2010, 7:55 a.m.

My Magic Shines really piss me off (1400 on bar 900 on helmet).
I now have $1,100.00 worth of Niteriders as backups!

Nov. 3, 2010, 8:27 a.m.

I got a deal on my LUpine light,wouldn't spend the big dough,but if you wanna trust that shit made in china and ride BBY mountain ,go nuts Bra,i prefer to ride the gnar at night,which is why i run the top shelf shit.but hey we are all tough guys when we are behind a keyboard right,i don't recall clanging my big balls around but hey,it is my opinon after all,when your lights die half a run down just use the force,and remember this post.

Nov. 3, 2010, 8:55 a.m.

I got a deal on my LUpine light,wouldn't spend the big dough.

I'm sure most people would run the Lupines if they had the cash laying around or if they could find a deal, they would likely buy just like you.

So…you say you wouldn't spend the big dough, yet more then once rag on people for buying the Magicshines…when all they're trying to do is the same thing….not spend the big dough.

Anyhow, I'm running a Niterider Trinewt(600 lm) that retails for about $600 Can(I payed less then half of that but had to do my homework). and compared to my $100 Magicshine,I'm hard pressed to find a $500 difference. Having said that, the Magicshine is lighter and smaller and has been more reliable then the NR light(I had it warrentied right out of the box).

You very well could be correct on the Lupine being more reliable, but when you consider the fact that any light can fail, you should be running 2 lights anyhow. If both lights were to fail at the same time….well god doesn't like you and bad shit would have happened sooner or later.

I can bet you this…everyone who night rides likely has just as much fun as you do and for $200 or so they are out there doing it. Obviously none of them are shredding the gnar like you…but hey that goes without saying….no?

and you got to admit you likely chuckled inside a bit about the Mountain Dew comment no?

Nov. 3, 2010, 9:39 a.m.

I got a deal on my LUpine light,wouldn't spend the big dough,but if you wanna trust that shit made in china and ride BBY mountain ,go nuts Bra,i prefer to ride the gnar at night,which is why i run the top shelf shit.but hey we are all tough guys when we are behind a keyboard right,i don't recall clanging my big balls around but hey,it is my opinon after all,when your lights die half a run down just use the force,and remember this post.

I can't comment on the Lupine as I've never used one, my last light was a Niterider HID and the ballast blew twice, both times at the top of the ride. It was cheaper to buy a complete Magicshine than just to replace the ballast on the HID, so I've been running 2 Magicshine 900's for the past year with no issues whatsoever. My last ride was on 5th, and I generally ride Cypress, Fromme and Eagle at night. Not trying to be a tough guy behind the keyboard, just wanted to say that there are people using these lights to ride the gnar with no problems. :beer:

Nov. 3, 2010, 10:02 a.m.

Just ordered some MJ Shines from deal extreme. see how long this takes.

Nov. 3, 2010, 10:12 a.m.

Interested in how their customer service is. I had a problem with a battery from Geomangear, and had the replacement battery 2 days later.

I've heard DealExtreme isn't quite as on the ball.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 3, 2010, 10:50 a.m.

I've had a Lupine Tesla ($500) for a primary light and got it rid of it because the $70 MS torch I also had laying around proved to have as good as or better of a beam… as for reliability well the Lupine was defective out of the box….

I also had a custom 1200 lumen light built by a DIY builder that is outstanding if you want to go that route:

http://www.trailled.com/

Nov. 3, 2010, 10:54 a.m.

I too just ordered the 1400 from them, they quote between 12-17 days.

Stoked! One of my original 900 batteries packed it in shortly after Plasti dipping. Coincidence? Maybe.

Nov. 3, 2010, 11:03 a.m.

My Dad just bought the 1400 and really likes it. Looks good and tons of lighting options and the thumb trigger is pretty sweet.

How much for the 1400 through DX?

Nov. 3, 2010, 11:15 a.m.

Price, in this case doesn't mean Top Shelf or Bottom shit. The Magic Shines are well made, bright, more dependable(so far)than my Top Shelf(Expensive) Niteriders and happen to be very well priced. They work just as well on the gnar as they do on Bby Mtn.

Nov. 3, 2010, 11:33 a.m.

Interested in how their customer service is. I had a problem with a battery from Geomangear, and had the replacement battery 2 days later.

I've heard DealExtreme isn't quite as on the ball.

I've bought two magicshines from Dealextreme. 1 last year, 1 this fall. I haven't had any problems with them, but I've heard that if there is a problem with the light the customer service is not as good as what geomangear provides. But then again you do pay a bit more for geoman's lights and you have to pay for shipping as well.

My Dealextreme light took about 2 1/2 weeks from date of order to arrival in my hands.