Lights...

Oct. 31, 2010, 9:18 p.m.

you can get magicshine lights off ebay - i think they come from japan

Oct. 31, 2010, 9:21 p.m.

/\ this or that \/
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.905

Oct. 31, 2010, 9:57 p.m.

Weird, I just received my Magicshine in the mail. Did this just come into effect? Bah, I'll just order to Hagen's, 10 mins from my house.

Shed head!

Oct. 31, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

If anyone has ordered the Magicshine helmet mount accessory I'd suggest a few "dry runs" attaching it. The velcro straps have no elasticity so it is imperative that they are pulled good and tight to keep things from jiggling about.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info[HTML_REMOVED]cPath=4_41[HTML_REMOVED]products_id=142

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Nov. 1, 2010, 11:04 a.m.

Tested my Blowtorch HID last night and it seems the bulb is blown.

Can the replacements be found online for a decent price, or should I just be looking at the MagicShine?

Nov. 1, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

Tested my Blowtorch HID last night and it seems the bulb is blown.

Can the replacements be found online for a decent price, or should I just be looking at the MagicShine?

After a super quick price check, it looks like the bulb replacement cost is $109 USD.

I'll be gone for a little while, but when I get back we should go for a night ride and I can loan you a Magicshine to try out. IMO, at ~$100 it's a no brainer.

My Dad just got the 1400 for his bars and really likes it.

You running one light or 2?

Nov. 1, 2010, 11:30 a.m.

Cool - thanks for the offer. How much heavier is the 1400 over the 900?

I used to run the Blowtorch w/helmet mount only, but got a free set of Princeton Tec Switchback 3's that I added to my bars last year.

Nov. 1, 2010, 12:17 p.m.

I used to run the Blowtorch w/helmet mount only, but got a free set of Princeton Tec Switchback 3's that I added to my bars last year.

The 1400 is really a bar only light. Running it on the helmet would be a bit pointless, since the extra light pods are really a close range flood light. It is also a fair bit heavier than the 900.

Nov. 1, 2010, 12:43 p.m.

900 it is then, thanks!

Nov. 1, 2010, 7:23 p.m.

Are people riding with both the 900 and 1400 MS?

Just wondering if I should opt for both, or get one, say the 1400 and wait on next year for another price drop from Light and Motion or Night Rider (700 for $400 now, seems last week it was $700, and last year one arm and a leg)?

Nov. 1, 2010, 7:53 p.m.

I ride twin 1400s on the bar, and the 900 on the roof. I really think that just one or the other (bar or helmet only) would greatly reduce my speed and fun-factor, certainly no where near as safe either. I started with just one 1400, and it honestly worked great but I got a bit carried away. With the twins, I have lots of options and plenty of juice for longer rides. I stagger the aims of the 1400s, to give a monstrous light patch, and use the 900 for looking farther down the trail at high speed or peeking corners. I tried running both 1400s off one battery and it worked great, but Geoman recommended against doing it in order to protect the battery. I carry a spare battery anyways, so from here on I just carry the extra pound and run independent batteries. I picked up a set of cheap 16' velcro straps to help secure wires and batteries, although I find the included velcro on the battery bags does a pretty good job.

Sure you could wait, but wouldn't you rather be riding now? I would expect that prices will come down, but only so far as a radical adjustment would likely require overhaul of the production and selling processes. Don't just limit yourself to MS though, there are other reasonable options such as Amoeba, Marwi, and Dinotte. You might even consider mixing and matching depending on your preference, and run different brands on bar and roof. Some people are really finicky about the spread of their bar lamp or the focus of their roof lamp, and are really specific about what they want for each setup. You could get an L[HTML_REMOVED]S Stella for the roof, and a MS mickey-mouse (1400) for the bar, or that type of thing. It's certainly worth trying a few out if you have the chance. However, I like having all one brand because it provides interchangeability.

Nov. 1, 2010, 9:18 p.m.

Magic Shine are shit,it's like going to gun fight with a tooth pick! But if you wanna punt at night go Magic Shine,if you wanna pin it it go Lupine!

Nov. 1, 2010, 10:26 p.m.

105g 900 rated lumens vs 226g 1400 rated lumens

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Nov. 1, 2010, 10:46 p.m.

nshoregal (12 hours ago)
Just heard back from GeoManGear about ordering the MagicShine lights and having them delivered to Canada - here's their response:

"Restrictions have already come into effect and more are coming into effect that are making it very difficult to ship Lithium Ion batteries outside the country. We are sorry but due to new shipping regulations and restrictions on lithium ion batteries, we can no longer ship outside the U.S. We apologize to our valued international customers."

Looks like Canadians will have to ship to a border broker like Hagens in Blaine.

source: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/niterider-pro-700-LED-race-light-preview-2010.html#top

Nov. 1, 2010, 11:14 p.m.

Product ID is no longer in our database. If you were trying to renew an ad, you will need to resubmit.

Went looking for some clone lights, saw these on Pinkbike and RideMonkey, and they posted to the Buy[HTML_REMOVED]Sell on NSMB - but it looks like their ad was pulled… regardless they are still shipping to Canada, and so is Dealxtreme. Had a quick look at US flight rules on Li- batteries and they don't seem to have changed, no bagged batteries only carry on… but it has been this way since 20007-08…