Lights 2017-2018

Sept. 25, 2017, 11:16 a.m.

It's that time of year. The night rides have begun and my ebay cheapies are garbage... they are too much spot and not enough flood.
Looking for the best value setup.
Fire away....

Sept. 25, 2017, 1:20 p.m.

20% off Gloworm 2018 models (vip2018), but you would have to wait a bit to get them.  The coupon also works for the 2017 models they have online and in stock.  Not sure of your definition of 'value' but they are solid lights for sure.

Sept. 25, 2017, 8:39 p.m.

The Geminis are solid. Picked mine up from Dunbar and they come with a good case and a wireless remote for bar mounting. Waterproof, shock proof to an extent. I have an old magicShine on my helmet and the gemini on my bars - good enough for night trails.

Sept. 26, 2017, 9:34 a.m.

Looking at the nite riders.
The Geminis look good also. I have bought a bunch of lights off the web for cheap and have got what I paid for.

Sept. 26, 2017, 12:18 p.m.

I've bought head units from ebay etc for $35 that lasted 3 rides so although it's possible to get good ones, the cheap ones are not proof against damp/rain/knocks in my experience. 

The one thing I won't look for on ebay etc is the battery and the chargers, after all the research I did on them. I don't even charge the kosher versions at home, I do it at my desk at work! If I have to do it at home I'll only do it when I'm around, not at night. I'm kinda paranoid about those.

Sept. 26, 2017, 5:58 p.m.

+1 for Gemini lights.  I purchased both my Duo and Olympia from Action LED.  Got them shipped to my PO box in Pt Roberts and avoided any taxes, duties, or shipping charges.

They have been bombproof in all conditions for the past 4 seasons.

I watched a buddies magic shines blow up when he turned them on in the rain. :(

I have also read that you have to be careful about the batteries on the cheap lights, that fires may start.  Does anyone have any first hand evidence of this?

Sept. 26, 2017, 6:18 p.m.

I used this site for a lot of reference : http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

Plus he's also got some very good light tests here : http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

Sept. 26, 2017, 6:29 p.m.

No idea how much longer I'll get out of the set of GeoMan Gear lights I bought years ago, but they worked the last time I used them.

Sept. 27, 2017, 6:35 a.m.

I do have a couple of sets of cheaper lights XT40 (not sure of the brand, google it or look on MTBR light forums), 4 leds per light.  Could use on helmet but really suited for the bars.  I have a separate case with 4 x 1650 batteries (a liittle bigger than AA).  Works great, good power on the light and the batteries last quite a while per charge (close to 4 hr).  Build quality on the lights are ok, for the cost (I think they were something like $30 per light), but not top notch.

I still have a couple of sets of Dinotte lights, yes they cost much more than the cheap knock-offs, but are made way better and provide a better light on the trail.  The two that I have left are the dual quad (bar light that spreads a ton of light and the XML3 helmet light, which has a good throw but not as wide.  Either light could be used on it's own but as a pair way better.  The original batteries are getting on - over 5 years old, but still get about 2 hrs per charge from them.  These lights were mid-level when lights used to have to cost a lot.  Lupine were almost double what the Dinotte cost and might be better, but at a certain point, lights like most things, have a diminishing return on what they provide vs the $$$ you spend on them.

Have to get out and get a few night rides under the belt while the weather is still nice.

Sept. 27, 2017, 8:27 a.m.

Posted by: stinky_dan

I've bought head units from ebay etc for $35 that lasted 3 rides so although it's possible to get good ones, the cheap ones are not proof against damp/rain/knocks in my experience.

The one thing I won't look for on ebay etc is the battery and the chargers, after all the research I did on them. I don't even charge the kosher versions at home, I do it at my desk at work! If I have to do it at home I'll only do it when I'm around, not at night. I'm kinda paranoid about those.

Talking to the electricians-set wiremen at work about those cheap lights we all have. Yes they are dangerous, and yes they can catch fire. The only way to charge them at home when you aren't around is to use a trickle charger. Those cost money so might as well buy the better quality ones. I just bought the nite rider pro 1400 race and the lumina 1100 yesterday at my LBS. Trying them out tonight.

I'm sure they are going to superior to the crap I have been using. Wasn't cheap but I have pumped a few hundred bucks into the cheap ones over the last few years and most of them are broken.

Last edited by: bux-bux on Sept. 27, 2017, 8:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 28, 2017, 7:40 a.m.

Huge difference, glad I upgraded. Busy up Fromme last night.

Sept. 28, 2017, 7:53 a.m.

haha, yes it was. Nice evening for it as well

Sept. 28, 2017, 11:45 a.m.

Am I the only one that hates bar mounted lights? I feel like I have a long extension (ray of light) off of my bar showing me where my bar is pointing. So distracting! I'm going for just the helmet tonight to see how I like it.

Sept. 28, 2017, 11:48 a.m.

You have to get a bar mounted light that is a flood rather than a spot.  You want the spot (beam) on your helmet.

Sept. 28, 2017, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

You have to get a bar mounted light that is a flood rather than a spot.  You want the spot (beam) on your helmet.

Hmm yeah that makes sense.