Lights - 2015-16 season (split from the 2014 thread)

Feb. 29, 2016, 12:11 p.m.

Did a test run with the headstrap and Solarstorm x2 last night. Setup worked perfectly, comfortable on the head (I wore a fleece beanie underneath) and I didn't think once about the weight of the unit. No heat issues.

From a security standpoint (running solo in the dark), having 2x XM-Ls beams to point at someone is nice too.

Yinding here I come.

For reference I need something like this:

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 29, 2016, 10:51 p.m.

What's up Gang. Lookin' to get into lighting on the cheap. Will start reading backwards from here…but any pointers right off the top would be great :)

Exceeding a 2hr runtime would be rare.

A quick scan…looks like SolarStorm X2? One or two?
Would definitely have to go with a different mount like you guys are talkin'…those O-rings must be a joke right?

Bar mount or helmet is best if you only have one unit?

Canadian source?

Cheers!

March 1, 2016, 6:53 a.m.

Solarstorm works for me, I have both an x2 and an x3. There's a good link in this thread about different leds.

I suggest buying an extra battery, they're the weak link IME. Larger than stock would be my suggestion.

If only one, go helmet. But get two, the shadow from the handlebar light is actually helpful.

Hate the rubber band mounts so yeah browse the thread for ideas there. There is a helmet mount available in the meantime from whatever website you find your lights at.

No Canadian source as far as I know.

Only charge them when you're home if you're paranoid/safety conscious!

March 1, 2016, 10:14 a.m.

…Canadian source?

Cheers!

PM sent

March 1, 2016, 10:22 a.m.

What's up Gang. Lookin' to get into lighting on the cheap. Will start reading backwards from here…but any pointers right off the top would be great :)

Exceeding a 2hr runtime would be rare.

A quick scan…looks like SolarStorm X2? One or two?
Would definitely have to go with a different mount like you guys are talkin'…those O-rings must be a joke right?

Bar mount or helmet is best if you only have one unit?

Canadian source?

Cheers!

Buy 3, they are cheap and then you have spare parts if you crash and break something.

Bought the helmet mount from the light supplier, bought an extra one of those too.

I'd heard that the batteries weren't that waterproof so I sealed mine. Think that is detailed in this thread somewhere.

The orings work fine, but be careful they are easy to loose.

There is a guy in Metro Van who buys a bunch at a time and then resells. Look on the for sale board and buy and sell ads.

March 1, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

Only charge them when you're home if you're paranoid/safety conscious!

Yup, I also put them on a cookie sheet so if they get hot I won't melt the kitchen counter.

March 2, 2016, 11:23 p.m.

Thx for the info.
Will pick up a couple from The Dragon and giv'er a whirl :)
Will see how it goes with the o-rings first.

This is Kamloops, we don't have to do anything in the wet…lol. But ya, I have some plasti-dip somewhere.

Two lights for a bit of 3D texture…check.

March 2, 2016, 11:27 p.m.

Still just gonna go with Dragon's cuz they'd be here quick like…
But did see these on GearBest too…same idea right? Just brighter?

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_15267.html
http://www.gearbest.com/headlights/pp_228108.html

March 3, 2016, 11:52 p.m.

Pair of SS X2's + skid lid mount in da house for $100 even.
Dragon just happened to be traveling thru Kamloops tonight…most excellent :)

If these are 2000Lm…4000, as linked above, must be pretty nutty!

March 4, 2016, 8:40 a.m.

For flatish XC type riding, the lowest setting on the X2 is fine.

March 4, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

Thx for the info.
Will pick up a couple from The Dragon and giv'er a whirl :)
Will see how it goes with the o-rings first.

This is Kamloops, we don't have to do anything in the wet…lol. But ya, I have some plasti-dip somewhere.

Two lights for a bit of 3D texture…check.

I had 3 of Dragon's lights the last time we rode Kamloops at night, it was like daytime. I've never had an issue with the o-rings. Easy to adjust and if you happen to bail, they move rather than break.

March 8, 2016, 6:01 p.m.

Keep in mind that some of the knockoff SSX2's being sold now are coming with substitute/knockoff LED emitters.

I bought two of them from Lightmalls just before Christmas. They both have knockoff LED's (the experts at mtbr figure they are made by Latticebright. anyway, neither of them is as bright as my three year old magicshine 808 single led ebay knockoffs. Plus both of the chargers put out over 10 volts which is apparently not very safe to use with the 8.4 volt battery packs. Too bad, because the form factor is great and they are really light.

Feb. 25, 2021, 4:38 a.m.

LIGHTMALLS.COM...BEWARE!!

STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU SHOP ELSEWHERE!!!

MISLEADING ADVERTISING, ARROGANT AND RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

ALL OVER $5 WORTH OF BATTERIES!!!

I ordered 2 Boruit headlamps from lightmalls.ca on 1/5/21

With a website that ends with “.ca” one would think it was a Canadian site, not so.

Only after ordering was it revealed they were being shipped from Shenzhen, Guangdong province China That, was misdirection #1

Package finally arrived 1 month later on 2/5/21

Both packages had crushed corners, so i carefully opened and discovered no damage to product However, this is where the trouble started 1 of the headlamps arrived without batteries, so i rechecked the ad. It stated “2*18650 battery”. According to their customer service, this means it TAKES 2*18650 batteries and those DO NOT come with the purchase.BTW these are 3.7v rechargeable batteries… Not something readily available in Canada When questioned regarding their “misleading” advertising their customer service rep claimed i threatened them ( which i did not, i stated that my reviews of their business would reflect the transaction appropriately), they had “ dealt with people like you” before and did not “accept” my threats Several emails later it was agreed they would send me 2 batteries, however, it was Chinese New Year and all shipping was closed and they would address this when they came back They “ addressed” it all right The ads now state “Does not include batteries” which was not stated at the time of the transaction I have been told i can order new batteries from their store OR they would ship me batteries with my next order

A wise old man once said to me “ water…is at once, the most yeilding of elements…yet the mightiest of eroding forces” By selling us cheap and inferior products, refusing to stand behind their misleading business practises ( BTW, Paypal has no recourse for Chinese products)… We are slowly having our Canadian standards of business eroded away

Do a quick search for “lightmalls.ca reviews” and see for yourself.

BUY CANADIAN!!

BUY NORTH AMERICAN!!

PURCHASE FROM LIGHTMALLS.CA AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Feb. 25, 2021, 8:02 p.m.

Agreed. I am in the 'you get what you pay for' camp, and don't mind spending money on quality gear. I especially like supporting small / local companies. 

For lights I wouldn't buy anything other than Gemini, glow worm, or outbound.

Feb. 25, 2021, 9:30 p.m.

I completely agree with you get what you pay for, but at the same time I bought a 30 light off of this forum in like 2015 and it still works perfectly fine, and I am 100% convinced I got the single good light.