Lights - 2014-15 season (merged)

Sept. 23, 2014, 9:59 p.m.

The only gripe I have is that the 4 cell battery doesn't last that long (~1.75hr), but I rarely run it on full power. Low for climb, medium for most descents. They are really bright and have a nice beam pattern.

bigger is better

26650 batteries

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Sept. 23, 2014, 11:19 p.m.

The only gripe I have is that the 4 cell battery doesn't last that long (~1.75hr), but I rarely run it on full power. Low for climb, medium for most descents. They are really bright and have a nice beam pattern.

An option is to get one of these:
http://www.lightmalls.com/universal-adjustable-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-no003

and the $12 flashlight. I got one that came with a couple batteries and a charger. Mount takes up very little room on the bars. Use the flashlight for the climb; it's got an adjustable beam pattern. Leave the flashlight mounted for the descent, or take it off and put it in pocket or backpack. Even the extra battery takes up little room. One battery is good enough for an hour climb. Bonus is you have a spare light for emergency repairs if other light fails n

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 24, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

An option is to get one of these:
http://www.lightmalls.com/universal-adjustable-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-no003

and the $12 flashlight. I got one that came with a couple batteries and a charger. Mount takes up very little room on the bars. Use the flashlight for the climb; it's got an adjustable beam pattern. Leave the flashlight mounted for the descent, or take it off and put it in pocket or backpack. Even the extra battery takes up little room. One battery is good enough for an hour climb. Bonus is you have a spare light for emergency repairs if other light fails n

On the bar, I run a single XM-L light with a 40x10deg optic that I made, and it's powered by a 2s2p 18650 pack, it's great, I don't want overpowering light on the bar since it's illuminating the ground in front of the wheel, so the battery life there is no issue.
I normally carry 2-3 battery packs for the solarstorm just in case, and I've been thinking about going to a bigger pack like the 26650. Balancing an 8 cell pack with the 18650 would be tricky I think, can't find much info about it.

Sept. 24, 2014, 11:26 a.m.

Thanks, just orders the solarstorm 2 with battery and a cool flashlight….awesome site!

Sept. 25, 2014, 9:38 a.m.

So you guys are recommending the X2, which is amazing value.

But why not this one: http://www.lightmalls.com/3600-lumen-3t6-led-high-power-bicycle-light-for-3-cree-xm-l-t6-4-mode-led-bike-light-kit

Which is more lumens for the same price and good reviews? Do the cooling fins and form of the X2 make it a better choice? I currently run a 1500 lumen MagicShine and have used it for 2 winter seasons of daily commuting down Burnaby Mtn trails with brilliant results. But now the boy wants night riding.

Sept. 25, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

ooh, that looks awesome-er! 3x T6's should be a beast. i'd totally give it a go if i didn't already have a surplus of cheap but effective lights. curious if 3 hot led's in close proximity would lead to overheating issues. though my magicshine mj-872 with 4 led's (albeit lower output) in a similar chassis is fine.

though at that price, one can never have too many lumens…

Sept. 25, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

I just picked up a couple of these, looks like the same Solarstorm a few of you guys have but yikes can that be real 5,000 lumens???? Was going to order a spare battery until I realized I could just order a second unit for less that comes with a battery.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9UZABA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

I still have my magicshines but the MJ-828 3 bulb head doesn't turn on any more and the 808 has started giving me issues after 4 years. I think that is the cables, seems ok with a new extension and I think the 828 has a bad cable too but I don't have the skillz to replace it. When you can get a brand new equivalent for $20 why even bother?

Can you run the X2 with Magicshine batteries, or do they run on different amps/volts?

Sept. 25, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

I just picked up a couple of these, looks like the same Solarstorm a few of you guys have but yikes can that be real 5,000 lumens???? Was going to order a spare battery until I realized I could just order a second unit for less that comes with a battery.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9UZABA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

I still have my magicshines but the MJ-828 3 bulb head doesn't turn on any more and the 808 has started giving me issues after 4 years. I think that is the cables, seems ok with a new extension and I think the 828 has a bad cable too but I don't have the skillz to replace it. When you can get a brand new equivalent for $20 why even bother?

Can you run the X2 with Magicshine batteries, or do they run on different amps/volts?

It's not 5000lm, each XM-L diode is just over 1000 optimally, so likely it's more like 1600-1800. But that's a Solarstorm exactly.

The magicshine batteries work fine. They are just a four pack of 18650 cells, and modern lights regulate voltage, so if the cell is configured 2 cells serial, 2 in parallel (2s2p) at 7.4V, it will work the same (more or less) as a 4s (14.8V) pack

I hear you on the replacement for cheap, but at the same time, the environmentalist in me hates the waste.

Sept. 25, 2014, 2:06 p.m.

I would get a XM-L2 diode given a choice.

:canada:

Sept. 25, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

Off topic but has anyone bought any motorcycle or automotive LED lights from the lightmalls site?

Oct. 4, 2014, 11:54 a.m.

Saw this on the Dunbar online site

http://http://store.dunbarcycles.com/gemini-xera-led-light-system-950-lumens/dp/101808

Oct. 5, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

The Xera's are great. They're very compact and well made, and work great as a helmet spot. I run two on my helmet, with a y-cable to a 4-cell Gemini battery. Their battery has kept its charge through 2 full seasons, with no detectable change in the ability to hold charge (Can't say the same for the Magicshine batteries). I angle one slightly farther forward of the other, and use them for spotting the trail ahead of me, which is particularly helpful when I'm moving fast. I have a separate bar set-up that is more flood oriented. I just pop the battery in the back jersey pocket and run the wire up my back. Works great.

I picked up a SolarStorm as a back-up from Lightmalls. Yes, the 5000 lumen claim is simply ludicrous. I would estimate them at 600-800 maximum based on direct comparison with Light and Motion units that I know to be accurate. The battery does beg for some waterproofing, and I will add some silicon to the backplate. However, for under $45 delivered, I'm pretty impressed. I still prefer proven quality units for my primary lights, as I like to do 2-3 hour solos. However, the SolarStorms do provide a very accessible entry-point.

Most helpful thing I came across so far, is to buy a schwack of assorted length velcro bands from Ebay. I think I payed under $10 (delivered) for a bunch of blue straps ranging from 6" to 18". These are dynamite for keeping batteries in place if you use a bar-mounted light with remote battery. Also fantastic for mounting smaller battery packs to your helmet. They also can be used for pumps, tires, and other things. I always keep a spare with me when I head out at night in case I need to bojangle my setup.

Oct. 6, 2014, 12:50 p.m.

It blows my mind what you can get these days.

Just a few years ago the magicshine turned the market on its head for a $100 a pop, and last night I ordered this http://www.lightmalls.com/3600-lumen-3t6-led-high-power-bicycle-light-for-3-cree-xm-l-t6-4-mode-led-bike-light-kit
shipped to my door for less than $30.

Chinese quality so we'll see, but my tragicshines have been going strong for 3-4 years now so…

Oct. 6, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

It blows my mind what you can get these days.

Just a few years ago the magicshine turned the market on its head for a $100 a pop, and last night I ordered this http://www.lightmalls.com/3600-lumen-3t6-led-high-power-bicycle-light-for-3-cree-xm-l-t6-4-mode-led-bike-light-kit
shipped to my door for less than $30.

Chinese quality so we'll see, but my tragicshines have been going strong for 3-4 years now so…

yeah, it's just insane to see what you can get for $30 now.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 6, 2014, 5:38 p.m.

SS X3 set up on an older Giro Hex. Love having no cords down the back. Surprisingly not unbalanced and doesn't feel heavy on the head. Ozibatla has similar setup on his POC helmet.

Shed head!