Lights - 2014-15 season (merged)

Dec. 10, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

There are lenses that replace the magicshine lens that change the beam pattern.

They are dirt cheap and work on several different brands of lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9zIGTfgGw[HTML_REMOVED]noredirect=1

http://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-Gemini-Lights-Headlight-Includes/dp/B004WLCLQY

Just bought a couple and going to try them.

Thanks again! Got it and installed it. Rode with it. Makes my Gemini light way more useable. Much better beam. :woot:

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 10, 2014, 3:50 p.m.

Finally unboxed the Lightmalls lights I got the boy for Christmas.

Well packaged thats for sure. Got a 3 stage high output bar mount light and a lesser lumen (1000 I think) headlamp.

They both look nicely built for the money. The battery power indicators worked well and look well sealed. The stepping between power output was easy and efficient. Connections to battery and charger looked clean and were nice and secure. In the darkness of the living room at 11:00pm it was like daylight.

So far, with no real-world testing, they look great. But now they are wrapped and under the tree.

Dec. 12, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

I got my lights today from lightmall. All the items look pretty good quality to me. all the mounting hardware works great. See how it is on the trails but so far im happy.

Dec. 14, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

I got the SolarStorm 2 light from Lightmall - appx $40 all in. Load of shit. One of the LED's has already burnt out/shorted … opened it up. Crap assembly - rust already forming after 2 rides….woulda been better off buying a cheap bottle of scotch.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Dec. 15, 2014, 10:27 p.m.

I got the SolarStorm 2 light from Lightmall - appx $40 all in. Load of shit. One of the LED's has already burnt out/shorted … opened it up. Crap assembly - rust already forming after 2 rides….woulda been better off buying a cheap bottle of scotch.

How did you manage to spend 40 bucks on a light that is 21 dollars plus 5 for shipping?

Dec. 16, 2014, 6:56 a.m.

Coz he was so disgusted by the lights he had to get a case of lucky and get blitzed

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

I ordered a 2 pack of jet lites f3's. They look like a quality product and I like that they use a GoPro mount so I can put one on my Bell Super helmet. About $300 merican so they're not cheap but I thought I'd give em a try.

Dec. 16, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

The last 3 posts are funny when taken together. Do you really think the F3's are going to be brighter and burn longer than 15 sets of solarstorms?

Granted the quality of the solarstorms might be erratic, but if you buy 15 sets of them, I'm pretty sure a bunch of them will last well. Two on the handlebars, one on the helmet, six spare batteries in the backpack just in case, and you still have another half-dozen unopened sets in your closet for backup.

Dec. 16, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

Yeah.. I have a Hope R4 from a few years back when I believe it was 1000 lumens output.. great light.

First ride today, and I am really impressed. Put the Hope on my helmet (Poc Trabec helmets are a hassle when it comes to getting enough velcro to strap on the light…), and a smaller lamp on my handlebar. Loved every minute.

I would not like the light on high-speed, technical dh runs - not enough output, but for my area and my riding it is really a great light.

Definitely happy that I bought it at that price. :)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 16, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

The last 3 posts are funny when taken together. Do you really think the F3's are going to be brighter and burn longer than 15 sets of solarstorms?

Granted the quality of the solarstorms might be erratic, but if you buy 15 sets of them, I'm pretty sure a bunch of them will last well. Two on the handlebars, one on the helmet, six spare batteries in the backpack just in case, and you still have another half-dozen unopened sets in your closet for backup.

^awesome. my 2 solarstorms are still running flawlessly. cannot comprehend the 10x price margins on some products.

Dec. 16, 2014, 3:55 p.m.

How did you manage to spend 40 bucks on a light that is 21 dollars plus 5 for shipping?

i rounded up up

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Dec. 16, 2014, 4:03 p.m.

I'm pounding right now. Hellz ya biytchees.

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 16, 2014, 4:15 p.m.

Two seasons on two sets of X2's and they have been flawless. One season on an X3 for my helmet has been great so far. You're set must've slipped under the QC table in the factory:china::china:

Shed head!

Dec. 16, 2014, 9 p.m.

Mine have been good so far. Rust eh, pretty sure the case is aluminum… What scotch are you drinking for $40????

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

Mine have been good so far. Rust eh, pretty sure the case is aluminum…

I think the rust was on the inside.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells