"light" wheels...

Jan. 20, 2007, 10:12 p.m.

So, I understand that with a lighter wheel, you get a smoother ride and faster
response when pedaling but….

I kind of like my heavier wheels (mag 30, stans, michi 2.8" ust). They feel more
stable in the air, and while going fast, and I use my back brake a lot to bring my
front end down when I pull up too much. Also, I can use the weight to "steer" in
the air too.

Thoughts????

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 21, 2007, 2 p.m.

Did some shuttle runs today and rode some of the toughest trails on South Mountain… very rocky, several ~3'-4' drops(one of which I goof'd and landed on a protruding rock w/ the rear wheel), and some high speed sections(very rough/rocky)… and some x/c and climbing to get to one of 'em.
Now, I'm no pro or anything, but I ride pretty briskly for an older bald guy with a day job.
I've been riding mountain bikes since '84, and, I "think" I'm light/smooth on a bike… having had to be back when rigid was all there was.
BlaBlaBla…
Wheels took everything in stride. Stayed perfectly true and round.
Oh, I was running 55psi, and, even at that pressure, having lost the tubes, the tires were very pliable(sp?).
Again, I'm all of 160lbs, and don't go big.
And, as you can imagine, getting up to speed coming out of switch backs, and hauling back down are both greatly improved with the diet.

We'll see how things go, but, after my first real rides I'm stoked.

A huge pic of my bike for those interested… http://members.cox.net/huddy31/P1010002b.jpg