Light tires with sticky rubber

Sept. 25, 2019, 7:36 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: Xorrox

Apparently the Maxxis DHF WT is available in an EXO carcass with Maxx Grip at least from some German Online stores; I would be interested to know how well that works on wet roots and rocks as well (as a front tire).

I like it a lot, works really well on wet rocks & roots & woodwork. Noticeable difference in grip with maxxterra. Also rolls a bit slower but not too bad.

Hmm have to look into that tire , wonder if they do a Shorty version. And a tire that works well on roots and rocks is a much needed asset. The slip and slide season is back.

Sept. 25, 2019, 8:08 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Hmm have to look into that tire , wonder if they do a Shorty version. And a tire that works well on roots and rocks is a much needed asset. The slip and slide season is back.

slip and slide season is the best time of the year

Sept. 25, 2019, 8:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

slip and slide season is the best time of the year

oh hell ya , did a few laps at Chuckanut today . lots of roots and rocks.

Sept. 26, 2019, 5:45 p.m.

I may have just missed you! 

For the record 2.35 Muddy Mary (fr) and Nobby Nic (rr) both Trailstar @~24psi were fine on Raptor Ridge, but not conducive to a clean run of Hush Hush.  Dab-fest in the dark and drizzle.

Sept. 26, 2019, 7:06 p.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

I may have just missed you!

For the record 2.35 Muddy Mary (fr) and Nobby Nic (rr) both Trailstar @~24psi were fine on Raptor Ridge, but not conducive to a clean run of Hush Hush. Dab-fest in the dark and drizzle.

Cool we did two laps of DD and BD and then did the top section into 2dollar. My buddy is doing the chainless race next month there. We got there around 10ish and left around 1:30/2:00. Killer trails there , well worth the trip. I need a bigger bike , DD/BD are a bit much for my 120mm frame.

Last edited by: DemonMike on Sept. 27, 2019, 6:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 6, 2019, 1:38 p.m.

Got an Assegai in DD casing MaxxGrip - insane amount of traction in the wet. Totally worth the weight penalty. First time trying a Super tacky/MaxxGrip compound and I really like it. Will be interesting to see how it wears. I've found that my front tires barely wear out at all so wondering if it would be worth running that compound all year round rather than just in the winter. Gives me way more confidence.

Oct. 9, 2019, 10:23 a.m.

I was doing a bit of digging on the Michelin Wild Enduros. I've seen a couple reports of side knobs tearing at the base. Have any of you experienced that?

Oct. 9, 2019, 4:21 p.m.

pretty sure that was early on...

Oct. 12, 2019, 4:59 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

I was doing a bit of digging on the Michelin Wild Enduros. I've seen a couple reports of side knobs tearing at the base. Have any of you experienced that?

I can only speak of the front-specific version, but I've been on one for almost a year now, Gum-X compound. There are some small surface tears at the base of some knobs, but I neither noticed that on the trail or had some bigger tears form so far. I imagine the other, harder (and supposedly grippier?) compound might be less prone to this.

Nov. 12, 2019, 8:59 p.m.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-minion-dhf-mtb-wt-tyre-3c-exo-tr/rp-prod183904

found the dhf exo in maxxgrip.

Nov. 13, 2019, 12:17 a.m.

Posted by: Angu58

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-minion-dhf-mtb-wt-tyre-3c-exo-tr/rp-prod183904

Thanks for that headsup - picked up two of them. I love chain reaction for tyres. I have a bin full of spare tires at home. I know bike shops would love to sell me them for $129 but how can I not get a bunch of these when I can often get two with CRC for the price of one in my LBS? I have a bunch on Onza tires in the mail I figured I would give a go at $35 a pop.

Nov. 13, 2019, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: Angu58

Thanks for that headsup - picked up two of them. I love chain reaction for tyres. I have a bin full of spare tires at home. I know bike shops would love to sell me them for $129 but how can I not get a bunch of these when I can often get two with CRC for the price of one in my LBS? I have a bunch on Onza tires in the mail I figured I would give a go at $35 a pop.

I've been enjoying the Onza Ibex, it's basically a HR2 with a bigger carcass (one day, Maxxis...) and slightly wider knob spacing.

Nov. 14, 2019, 2:11 p.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

The new E*thirteen 2.4" TRS A/T Race MOPO also sound promising but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere yet, at least not online. 

Apparently the Maxxis DHF WT is available in an EXO carcass with Maxx Grip at least from some German Online stores; I would be interested to know how well that works on wet roots and rocks as well (as a front tire).

I'm using the E13 TRS MOPO and they are crazy good in the wet. Casing seems similar to an EXO+. I have them front and rear for fall/winter duty, and the rears are wearing surprisingly well for such a soft compound...I found them on Backcountry.com but the E13 website prob has them too.

Nov. 15, 2019, 9:12 a.m.

I’m running the EXO Maxterra 2.5 wt Assegai on my bikes now. It rides softer that the Maxterra designation would indicate. Seems better that the Maxxgrip DHF that I had been running.