Let's talk about on bike storage

Oct. 30, 2021, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: heathen

I now have my setup dialed for what I need. Wolftooth mount (gave me more clearance) with 76 Projects bag. Bag holds two 25g C02, quick links, few links of chain, Crank Bros multi tool, Stans dart tool, tire levers.

I am looking for a bolt on gear storage solution for under the top tube (such as pictured here). It's going on a chromo hardtail with dedicated bolts under the top tube. I note that the wolf tooth ones are 40 or 50mm wide, which I would think would extend beyond the sides of the tube. I was wondering if anyone found their legs brush against the backplate when pedalling? Or is the width a non-issue? Anyone see any benefit of one over another?

If you are worried about potential contact I would go with a 76 Projects mount as it is molded plastic with really smooth sides. The Wolftooth mount has edges that could become a problem in a crash. Below is a 76 Projects mount I put on my hardtail. Below is the Canadian distributor. You can buy directly. 

https://shop.mountainx.ca/collections/76-projects

Last edited by: heathen on Oct. 30, 2021, 9:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 30, 2021, 12:24 p.m.

What does the bracket do?  

I use an almost identical bag and strap, strapped to my down tube and it doesn’t shift or anything.

Oct. 30, 2021, 3:08 p.m.

In my mind, it is cleaner looking and won't scratch the paint. It's a custom frame so I decided to throw in an extra set of bolts under the top tube. Definitely far from necessary.

My gear straps do shift a bit from time to time. I guess it will avoid that?

Oct. 30, 2021, 8:46 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I use an almost identical bag and strap, strapped to my down tube and it doesn’t shift or anything.

What bracket are you seeing?

Oct. 31, 2021, 8:43 a.m.

The ones that hold the little bags, like you have on you down tube and RAH has on his top tube.

Oct. 31, 2021, 8:43 a.m.

In my mind, it is cleaner looking and won't scratch the paint. It's a custom frame so I decided to throw in an extra set of bolts under the top tube. Definitely far from necessary.

My gear straps do shift a bit from time to time. I guess it will avoid that?

👍🏼

Nov. 2, 2021, 4:54 p.m.

I now have my setup dialed for what I need. Wolftooth mount (gave me more clearance) with 76 Projects bag. Bag holds two 25g C02, quick links, few links of chain, Crank Bros multi tool, Stans dart tool, tire levers.

I am looking for a bolt on gear storage solution for under the top tube (such as pictured here). It's going on a chromo hardtail with dedicated bolts under the top tube. I note that the wolf tooth ones are 40 or 50mm wide, which I would think would extend beyond the sides of the tube. I was wondering if anyone found their legs brush against the backplate when pedalling? Or is the width a non-issue? Anyone see any benefit of one over another?

I have the Wolftooth (see my post on the previous thread page), and with my co2/levers strapped on it's wider than the plate but I've never rubbed it with my legs. Only thing with Wolftooth is it's expensive for what it is (my opinion) and the included strap is kind of useless due to bulk, a ski strap works better with no real downside.

Nov. 2, 2021, 7:03 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I have the Wolftooth (see my post on the previous thread page), and with my co2/levers strapped on it's wider than the plate but I've never rubbed it with my legs. Only thing with Wolftooth is it's expensive for what it is (my opinion) and the included strap is kind of useless due to bulk, a ski strap works better with no real downside.

Wish I had read this 12 hours ago before I put in my wolf tooth order. They had just the base plate in the scratch and dent sale. 

Anyways, I love WT for their quality products and customer service, so I'm happy to support them with a purchase. Also got a set of their pogies for my wife who wears the biggest lobster mits all winter due to her chronically cold hands. Hopefully with the pogies she can wear normal riding gloves and have better control!

Nov. 2, 2021, 9:57 p.m.

The ones that hold the little bags, like you have on you down tube and RAH has on his top tube.

This?

https://76projects.com/products/thepiggy

Nov. 17, 2021, 2:40 p.m.

If you want a tough water proof frame bag that is about the right size,

buy an lb of kicking horse coffee and use the coffee,

repurpose the bag to put your bike stuff in

Jan. 9, 2022, 9:42 a.m.

I'm going through the onboard tools I carry on each bike to make sure everything is complete and in good shape for the coming year. That got me thinking about what tools/supplies to actually carry. I'm thinking for long front country day rides and I am excluding bikepacking/backcountry rides where I'd want to carry some extra stuff to avoid a day+ walk.

Here's what I have settled on:

- mini-pump

- tire levers

- spare 26er tube [lighter/compact will fit a 29er in a pinch]

- multi-tool with chain tool

- spare chain quick link

- valve core tool

- spare valve core

- duct tape

- zipties

- tubeless plugs [ small and large]

- spare derailleur hanger

- steri-strips [for human mechanicals!]

- clean bandana [for human mechanicals!]

- pair of disposable gloves

All of this ^^^ stuff will fit inside a frame bag to keep them clean/dry until I need them or hopefully I don't need them!

What are you carrying?

Jan. 9, 2022, 1:49 p.m.

If you’re solo on those rides and on a dual suspension bike (which I don’t think you are) it might be a worthy addition to include a second multi tool or at least a standalone hex - I’m thinking of pivots where you need a 6mm in each side if it comes loose. 

No biggie if you have a buddy with a tool too.

Jan. 10, 2022, 9:55 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

If you’re solo on those rides and on a dual suspension bike (which I don’t think you are) it might be a worthy addition to include a second multi tool or at least a standalone hex - I’m thinking of pivots where you need a 6mm in each side if it comes loose. 

No biggie if you have a buddy with a tool too.

Good point. I am mostly riding hardtails, but I do have a FS rig with a frame bag so I'll take a quick look and see if it needs any extra tools.

Jan. 10, 2022, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I'm going through the onboard tools I carry on each bike to make sure everything is complete and in good shape for the coming year. That got me thinking about what tools/supplies to actually carry. I'm thinking for long front country day rides and I am excluding bikepacking/backcountry rides where I'd want to carry some extra stuff to avoid a day+ walk.

Here's what I have settled on:

- mini-pump

- tire levers

- spare 26er tube [lighter/compact will fit a 29er in a pinch]

- multi-tool with chain tool

- spare chain quick link

- valve core tool

- spare valve core

- duct tape

- zipties

- tubeless plugs [ small and large]

- spare derailleur hanger

- steri-strips [for human mechanicals!]

- clean bandana [for human mechanicals!]

- pair of disposable gloves

All of this ^^^ stuff will fit inside a frame bag to keep them clean/dry until I need them or hopefully I don't need them!

What are you carrying?

That's a good list Vik, and very similar to mine. I  also carry a spare shift cable and emergency space blanket on *every* ride. They weigh next to nothing, and can really save your (or someone else's) bacon.  I don't store anything on my bike since I always ride with a backpack or fanny pack.

Jan. 15, 2022, 4:26 p.m.

I opted for the GRANITE DESIGN head tube mini tool, chain tool and tire plugs in the bar. I also got small frame bags for CO2, tire levers and some spares.