Let's talk about on bike storage

Oct. 1, 2021, 6:35 a.m.

You can get custom bags made to fit any frame/mounting situation from the slew of small bikepacking bag makers. Not as cheap as an off the shelf bag, but not crazy expensive if a really good fit/use of space matters to you. Ibis are the only folks that make custom bags to fit their frames that I can think of.

I bought a frame bag from Cotic when I bought a hardtail from them thinking it would be nice to have a purpose built bag, but the fit was poor so it ended up being a waste of $$.

Last edited by: Vikb on Oct. 1, 2021, 6:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 1, 2021, 6:58 a.m.

I haven’t seen his bike stuff but the planting bags that Sew What, I Sew were bomber.

I think WZRD Bikes is sewing some frame bags these days as well.

Oct. 1, 2021, 2:35 p.m.

Yeah, I’ve had bags made before, but it would be a nice option given there are bosses on the bike.

Oct. 1, 2021, 3:17 p.m.

Pencil case: $4; Velcro straps $8; athletic knee strap $7; elastic straps $4; seamstress $30; not having to carry a pack PRICELESS. Carries pump, tube, multi-tool, car keys, phone. Could probably squeeze in more. Usually just use the two velcros straps and don’t bother about the athletic strap. Seems to be working just fine.

Oct. 2, 2021, 6:44 a.m.

My solution is an old seat bag (tiny Blackburn one just big enough for tube, plugs and a lever currently) plus a ski strap or big Velcro strap.  Tiny bag fits anywhere, all my other tools are in my EDC pump.

Oct. 2, 2021, 10:21 a.m.

Can we talk about how addictive frame bags are? Vic got me started on them and now I can't stop. They are like rabbits multiplying in my garage. Landyachtz in Vancouver probably has the best selection I have seen. I had never been there before and by the time I left I had dropped $250 on bags for my wife's gravel bike! Drop bar in squamish is pretty good too. I think a top tube bag is a no brainer. It never gets in the way and you can keep all your food in there and a light jacket.

Oct. 2, 2021, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: yahdancer

Pencil case: $4; Velcro straps $8; athletic knee strap $7; elastic straps $4; seamstress $30; not having to carry a pack PRICELESS. Carries pump, tube, multi-tool, car keys, phone. Could probably squeeze in more. Usually just use the two velcros straps and don’t bother about the athletic strap. Seems to be working just fine.

You can fit a tube in that little triangle hole in your frame. My spare tube has been stuck in there for three years, never come out. Just a little evil hack. The trick is that you need to squeeze out all the extra air from the tube so you can roll it up really tight.

Oct. 2, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Can we talk about how addictive frame bags are? Vic got me started on them and now I can't stop. 

I'm glad it's not just me. ;-)

Oct. 2, 2021, 3:13 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Can we talk about how addictive frame bags are? Vic got me started on them and now I can't stop. 

I'm glad it's not just me. ;-)

It's like Crack!

Oct. 4, 2021, 11:46 a.m.

I now have my setup dialed for what I need. Wolftooth mount (gave me more clearance) with 76 Projects bag. Bag holds two 25g C02, quick links, few links of chain, Crank Bros multi tool, Stans dart tool, tire levers.

Oct. 4, 2021, 12:34 p.m.

Since switching to tubeless, I think I've had two flats and one of those was when I thought my tire was a little flat and decided to practice using my C02. Turned out, I needed more practice than I thought. The only reason I carry tools/spares on local rides is because I can't convince myself not to carry my phone. Once I'm using a pack, or whatever to carry that,  I might as well jam in a tube, tool etc.

Oct. 7, 2021, 2:02 p.m.

I ordered a medium Wolftooth B-Rad as well as the 2 hole offset plate, with my logic being I could offset the tool mount back toward the seat tube and fit more stuff. That ended up not working because of the extra stack the offset plate created. Also the Wolftooth strap, while nice with the foam, also created too much stack and would interfere with the bottle cage, so I am using a OneUp strap. Bunch of wasted money, should've just ordered the B-Rad mini to get the plate as cheap as possible but oh well.

I need to get a bag, but the 27.5x2.5 tube (normal, not Tubolito), extra tire lever and CO2 fits easily. EDC is in the steer tube. One thing that pisses me off is OneUp doesn't include the tubeless jabber with the EDC and only sells it as part of a $45 kit with pliers that I don't want (and can't fit in my EDC cuz I can only run the small capsule with my Fox 38. So I've just been carrying a small plastic bag in my pocket with jabber tool (tape over sharp end) and strips, along with my car keys and ID, phone in other pocket. Definitely loving riding without a pack of any sort.

Oct. 20, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

Here’s my setup. It has everything I need for a ~2 hour ride and only the water bottle is visible.

A Giant clutch crank storage tool has common allen keys, a T25 torx, chain breaker and quick link.

This Lezyne pocket drive pump fits up the bottom of my steerer tube with a trimmed down dynaplug pushed over the end and is held in place with a fork cork. I’ve since wrapped a load of electrical tape around it to keep it from rattling but also now I have some tape if I need it. It’s not the fastest to inflate a big 29” tyre but it makes a good seal which doesn’t leak air and it’s a trade off I’m happy to make for hiding it away in the steerer.

No spare tube but I’m on inserts anyway so figure I can ride home on flats if I need to. I have a nukeproof gear mount which gets used occasionally for a light battery, a jacket or a tube depending on the ride.

Oct. 29, 2021, 9:03 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

I now have my setup dialed for what I need. Wolftooth mount (gave me more clearance) with 76 Projects bag. Bag holds two 25g C02, quick links, few links of chain, Crank Bros multi tool, Stans dart tool, tire levers.

I am looking for a bolt on gear storage solution for under the top tube (such as pictured here). It's going on a chromo hardtail with dedicated bolts under the top tube. I note that the wolf tooth ones are 40 or 50mm wide, which I would think would extend beyond the sides of the tube. I was wondering if anyone found their legs brush against the backplate when pedalling? Or is the width a non-issue? Anyone see any benefit of one over another?

Oct. 29, 2021, 9:20 p.m.

I note that the wolf tooth ones are 40 or 50mm wide, which I would think would extend beyond the sides of the tube. I was wondering if anyone found their legs brush against the backplate when pedalling? Or is the width a non-issue? 

The frame bags I use in that position are 2.6"/66mm wide and I have never notice my legs rubbing on them.