Let's talk about on bike storage

Sept. 8, 2021, 11:14 a.m.

Bumping this thread as I'm thinking about on frame storage on my new bike, a 2022 Patrol which has bosses on bottom of toptube and can fit a 750ml bottle. Current setup is water bottle on bike and Osprey fanny pack with 2x 600ml bottles and all tools including Topeak Race Rocket MT mini pump which I just bought after an annoying co2 failure (to DC's point above, tire bead wouldn't seal from 2 co2's, tread puncture repair was fine but after wasting my xo2s I couldn't throw in a tube cuz no way to inflate it). 750ml water is enough for majority of my rides which are 1-2.5h on the shore so it has me thinking of ditching the pack, but I can't decide between:

1) EDC tool in steer tube (with small capsule w/ tire plug kit, Fox 38 cannot fit the big capsule or co2) + Wolftooth B-Rad mini with tube + extra lever + CO2 - I think the mini can fit those 3 items.

2) EDC pump 100cc with EDC tool + storage capsule with tire plug kit and ?, B-Rad mini tube/lever/co2. 

#1 is cleaner, don't have an $80 pump exposed to the elements every ride, but have to rely on co2. 

#2 I get the pump, but honestly this is my first flat outside the bike park in 5 years (DD casing tires and I am not a shredder) so co2 is "fine" for shorter packless rides. Anything over 2h or on hot days I am likely bringing the hip pack for water+food anyway which fits my Topeak pump. If I have to walk out of one of my typical Shore rides once every few years it's not a huge deal, but I don't get many chances to ride Squamish/valley these days so it's those longer rides I care about and will have the pack/pump.

For my 1-2 long/alpine rides a year I have an old 3L bladder backpack for water/food.

Sept. 8, 2021, 4:09 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Bumping this thread as I'm thinking about on frame storage on my new bike, a 2022 Patrol which has bosses on bottom of toptube and can fit a 750ml bottle. Current setup is water bottle on bike and Osprey fanny pack with 2x 600ml bottles and all tools including Topeak Race Rocket MT mini pump which I just bought after an annoying co2 failure (to DC's point above, tire bead wouldn't seal from 2 co2's, tread puncture repair was fine but after wasting my xo2s I couldn't throw in a tube cuz no way to inflate it). 750ml water is enough for majority of my rides which are 1-2.5h on the shore so it has me thinking of ditching the pack, but I can't decide between:

1) EDC tool in steer tube (with small capsule w/ tire plug kit, Fox 38 cannot fit the big capsule or co2) + Wolftooth B-Rad mini with tube + extra lever + CO2 - I think the mini can fit those 3 items.

2) EDC pump 100cc with EDC tool + storage capsule with tire plug kit and ?, B-Rad mini tube/lever/co2. 

#1 is cleaner, don't have an $80 pump exposed to the elements every ride, but have to rely on co2. 

#2 I get the pump, but honestly this is my first flat outside the bike park in 5 years (DD casing tires and I am not a shredder) so co2 is "fine" for shorter packless rides. Anything over 2h or on hot days I am likely bringing the hip pack for water+food anyway which fits my Topeak pump. If I have to walk out of one of my typical Shore rides once every few years it's not a huge deal, but I don't get many chances to ride Squamish/valley these days so it's those longer rides I care about and will have the pack/pump.

For my 1-2 long/alpine rides a year I have an old 3L bladder backpack for water/food.

Option 1 is basically my setup. The strap that came with the b-rad mini was too short for a 29er tube, tire lever and CO2, so I'm running the bracket with a longer strap (OneUp rubber ski strap thing).

The 100cc EDC pump is massive. If I were going the pump route, I'd probably go with the 70cc and use the storage in the pump for an extra CO2 cartridge, and still run the EDC tool in my steerer.

Sept. 8, 2021, 7:02 p.m.

I have an edc pump that rides on my bike about 300 rides per year. That includes the whole winter. It works as well as the day I bought it 3 years ago. They are exceptionally sealed. The 70cc is fine unless you want to store a tool+co2. I run the pump with the edc tool. Strap a tube and a tire repair kit to my frame and voila, I can fix just about anything. The edc in the steerer is great if you want to ditch the pump and just put a tool and Co2 in the steerer. The edc pump is very fast and makes the chore of trailside flat repairs a breeze. Walking out once a year may not be a big issue, but why? The edc pump solves all those issues.

Sept. 8, 2021, 7:17 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

It is going on a Madonna RAAW V2 Size Large. The smaller one is probably the way to go, by your recommendation?

For my inbound jibb  I just bought the wolftooth strap and bracket,  I'm thinking I'll figure out what type of bag to attach to it separately.

Sept. 9, 2021, 10:10 a.m.

Got some of them Sahmurai end cap tire plug tools couple months back. I run slip-on grips so these replaced the end plugs.

These are some of my favorite biken things ever.

Plug a tire so fast it hardly loses air. Had need of it a bunch of times, each time I just continued on riding there was so little air lost. The plug tool is basically already in your hand when you get a hole.

The medium size plugs it comes with are the best size I've seen too. Plugs a hole better than doubled up small ones.

Now if could just figure out a way to carry my phone I'd have no need for a small fanny or backpack. Really disliking fanny packs...

Last edited by: Hepcat on Sept. 9, 2021, 10:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 9, 2021, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat
Now if could just figure out a way to carry my phone I'd have no need for a small fanny or backpack. Really disliking fanny packs...

https://www.endurasport.com/singletrack-bib-liner-ii-black/12926115.html

I've been riding with one of these for months, has a few pockets in the back. Perfect for phone / snack / wallet etc.

Last edited by: thaaad on Sept. 9, 2021, 11:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 9, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Option 1 is basically my setup. The strap that came with the b-rad mini was too short for a 29er tube, tire lever and CO2, so I'm running the bracket with a longer strap (OneUp rubber ski strap thing).

The 100cc EDC pump is massive. If I were going the pump route, I'd probably go with the 70cc and use the storage in the pump for an extra CO2 cartridge, and still run the EDC tool in my steerer.

Where do you carry your co2 inflator tool? Good tip about the Wolftooth strap, will see when it arrives but will plan on grabbing the OneUp or reusing a ski strap from winter pack although they are probably way too long. Was planning on running a 27.5 tube since I have a mullet setup and 27.5 is fine in 29er for finishing a ride. 

RAH: That's a strong review on the pump. I guess for me it's do I want to spend another $80 when I just bought a new mini pump that fits in my fanny pack which is coming along for any non-routine rides. I think I've talked myself into this setup and am committed now hah. Will see how it goes.

Sept. 9, 2021, 2 p.m.

Emailed Wolftooth and they are suggesting the B-Rad medium for this purpose (they say the mini only fits a tube). Gonna measure clearance to my water bottle cage and shock at bottom-out tonight and see if it would fit.

Sept. 12, 2021, 3:47 p.m.

I'm running a medium BRAD with the 600ml bag. I get tube, pump, tool, levers in it easily with room for a very light pearl izumi jacket too (often start a ride with it on, end up putting it in bag once I'm warm until I'm up high or temp drops). If I were to move the pump to outside the bag (and still strap it to the bag with the wolf tooth strap there would be room for more without any real compromise. If it was my Oneup large pump and tool there would be tons of room for food, spares etc. 

It's  really surprisingly good system. I had had bolts come loose twice, so some light thread lock might go a wee way.

Sept. 13, 2021, 10:19 a.m.

It may feel spendy, but a tubolito 29er inner is tiny and made the addition of a small bag that also contained the WolfTooth Pliers, lever, quicklink and firstaid bits possible on the 'loam shelf' of my Fugitive inside the rear triangle. Then the EDC steerer tube finishes the set. I'd probably get the 70cc EDC pump just because it's so damn good to replace the $25 one I have.

Sept. 15, 2021, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Where do you carry your co2 inflator tool? Good tip about the Wolftooth strap, will see when it arrives but will plan on grabbing the OneUp or reusing a ski strap from winter pack although they are probably way too long. Was planning on running a 27.5 tube since I have a mullet setup and 27.5 is fine in 29er for finishing a ride. 

RAH: That's a strong review on the pump. I guess for me it's do I want to spend another $80 when I just bought a new mini pump that fits in my fanny pack which is coming along for any non-routine rides. I think I've talked myself into this setup and am committed now hah. Will see how it goes.

The head of the OneUp pump can be unscrewed and used as a CO2 inflator.

Sept. 15, 2021, 12:36 p.m.

My set up

On bike:

• 100cc OneUp pump with CO2 inside, mounted on the water bottle bosses
  • Tube (regular one, might upgrade to a light weight one at some point to save space) and tubeless repair kit (with extra strips) strapped to top tube
  • Bear spray in the water bottle cage (had to use a offset mount from WolfTooth to get it or a water bottle to fit)
  • Valve core tool part of front valve stem cap
  • Electrical tape around seat tube & 1 brake hose

Pack with:

• First aid kit
  • InReach Mini
  • TP/bags
  • Tire boot
  • Tow strap (for the kid)
  • Extra tire lever
  • Water
  • Snacks
  • Phone, keys, wallet, etc.

Most of my rides are 10-20 km, and were at least previously (just moved) beyond cell reception.

Last edited by: Full-Mountain on Sept. 15, 2021, 12:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 16, 2021, 11:04 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

It may feel spendy, but a tubolito 29er inner is tiny and made the addition of a small bag that also contained the WolfTooth Pliers, lever, quicklink and firstaid bits possible on the 'loam shelf' of my Fugitive inside the rear triangle. Then the EDC steerer tube finishes the set. I'd probably get the 70cc EDC pump just because it's so damn good to replace the $25 one I have.

Have heard of those, look like it might be worth it for my application. Anyone know where to find a Tubolito in Vancouver? Found them at Bicicletta for $48, Amazon and eBay have them cheaper by $15-20+ shipping. Bike 24 you can get em for about $26 but of course shipping is 20 EUR and I just did an order for tires, wish I had known!! 

I ordered the medium B-Rad and the 2 hole base plate yesterday. Ordered the 2 hole base plate because there's a bunch of room to offset the tool mount back toward the seat tube on my Patrol which will give more clearance from the water bottle cage which is the limiting factor on this frame. The shock/rocker move down through travel so that shouldn't interfere although I'll test to make sure. With a Tubolito should be able to fit the tube, co2/inflator and extra tire lever. Getting the shop to install a steer tube EDC next week when bike is in next week.

Sept. 16, 2021, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I have an edc pump that rides on my bike about 300 rides per year. That includes the whole winter. It works as well as the day I bought it 3 years ago. They are exceptionally sealed. The 70cc is fine unless you want to store a tool+co2. I run the pump with the edc tool. Strap a tube and a tire repair kit to my frame and voila, I can fix just about anything. The edc in the steerer is great if you want to ditch the pump and just put a tool and Co2 in the steerer. The edc pump is very fast and makes the chore of trailside flat repairs a breeze. Walking out once a year may not be a big issue, but why? The edc pump solves all those issues.

+1 to all of this.

The edc pump is one of my favourite bits of kit basically ever because it does its job so effectively.

Sept. 30, 2021, 11:31 p.m.

One thing I’d love to see is more companies who put mounting bosses on frames supplying bags to fit the frame shape. I know what people carry varies loads, but a bag that fits the contours keeps everything clean and tidy. 

I’ve just repurposed a Bontrager top tube bag (that they managed to manufacture with the bolt hole spacing off by 3mm) to my Druid and there’s so much room to improve. I should learn to sew.