Let's talk about on bike storage

Nov. 30, 2020, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: Bushpilot

If you get the Oneup pump with the EDC you can mount it on your frame and don't have to worry about threading your steerer...and you'll have a pump. You can fit tire plugs in there too if you forego storing the C02 in the pump.

Thats what I did. I don't really understand why one would only run the steertube edc and no pump/plugs.

I run the EDC tool with plug kit in my steerer and carry C02 with a small Specialized inflator strapped with my tube to my top tube. I flat pretty infrequently so carrying C02 is fine for me. The steerer tube storage is pretty slick.

(Now watch me flat next ride)

The problem with CO2 is that if you leak a little while trying to inflate or anything you can't add anymore air unless you have another cartridge or a pump which negates the CO2.

Dec. 1, 2020, 5:23 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

The problem with CO2 is that if you leak a little while trying to inflate or anything you can't add anymore air unless you have another cartridge or a pump which negates the CO2.

When my buddy first started riding packless he carried very little with him so frequently I'd be digging in my hydro pack for a pump or a tube to get him back to the car. His success rate with CO2 was low in terms of times when he didn't need to borrow the pump. That turned me off packless riding until I managed to get everything I needed on the bike so I wasn't having to borrow stuff from other people. I don't flat a lot, but the pump I carry gets used for more than fixing just my bike and on longer rides when I am hours from home I can feel pretty confident about not having to walk.

Dec. 1, 2020, 7:12 a.m.

I’ve gotten pretty good at using C02, and a 20 g or 25 g cartridge results in more than enough pressure to keep riding. I can’t remember the last time I had a misfire.

The biggest drawback I see with C02 is you need to decide early whether you’re going to try re-inflating your tubeless tire that may or may not have sealed with sealant or a bacon strip, or if you’re going to throw in a tube. You get one inflation, and it better work.

If you’re going to carry a pump, it only makes sense over C02 if you carry a good one. Lots of times when friends need to use their mini-pump, the pump is just garbage - faffy, poor seal on the valve, leaks as much air as it puts in.

But, by all accounts, the OneUp pump works quite well.

Last edited by: D_C_ on Dec. 1, 2020, 7:16 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 1, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

The bike I picked up had a one-up edc already plumbed in and space for a water bottle this time so that made my path to on-bike straightforwards.

But this also meant I had to figure out a way to carry the other tools I have that would usually go in a hippack - I've spent money on them and wasn't going to toss them and go out and buy more things. 

So I also got an empty lezyne flow storage cage (as I legitimately needed a bottle cage) to carry small pliers and to strap my mini crank brothers pump to, then got a mutherload strap to carry the tubolito, bacon tool, tyre levers, piece of coathangar for chain repair, wolftooth pliers which sits under the shock.

I'm still looking at another pump eventually as the crank brothers one doesn't lock down so I have to gorilla tape the head down but it has a pressure gauge in which I really like, a hiflow/lowflow setting and is valve agnostic. So hard to beat really - it's the Sterling plus I bought it, so there's that...

If I had my druthers, I'd probably pick up the OneUp EDC pump as well and a topeak pressure gauge and call it a day....although the industry9 thru axle storage combined with something like the topeak ninja bottle cage looks like a good one.

Great call on the kicking horse bag - I ended up buying a cheap mini running cellphone pack and cutting it out of the straps -

Dec. 1, 2020, 10:52 a.m.

If you’re going to carry a pump, it only makes sense over C02 if you carry a good one

100% agree.

Dec. 1, 2020, 11:33 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If you’re going to carry a pump, it only makes sense over C02 if you carry a good one

100% agree.

And one that is well sealed if carrying on frame... 

I had the internals rust out on 2 before I moved the pump location to the pack.

Dec. 1, 2020, 6:29 p.m.

I'm running the OneUp EDC pump and multi-tool on my bottle cage mounts, plug kit and pliers inside. I recently added a JPaks Snakpak (footlong) on the top tube, comfortably holds a tube, tire levers, small first aid kit, snacks, phone and keys. No pack for anything under 2 hours these days.

Dec. 2, 2020, 5:37 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

And one that is well sealed if carrying on frame... 

I had the internals rust out on 2 before I moved the pump location to the pack.

Good point. On my Knolly I put my pump in a sealed bag and if I used it I'd just seal it up again before next ride. That pump stayed in perfect condition despite being in the line of fire from the front tire. Now all my pumps live inside frame bags so I don't need to bother.

Dec. 4, 2020, 10:06 a.m.

New here, but I've been tweaking this setup for a few years. I'm not a bikepacker and most of my rides are between 10-30 miles. I have a pivot switchblade, and really stoked it has the accessory carry screws that this bike and a lot of new ones have, its clean. For mine I used a Wolftooth B-Rad strap, and mini bag, edc pump for all my rides, and sometimes I add a hip pack or backpack, but these live on the bike.  I also put a couple wraps of electrical tape on my bars, sometimes they can be useful.   

I am a huge van of the EDC pump. I moved this from the stem from my last bike when setting this up as I have had issues with CO2 over the years (probably just being an idiot), and I trust a pump a whole lot more, and can fix multiple flats if needed.

In the pump I have

• 3 quick links
  • Spare valve core and remover
  • 2 zip ties
  • EDC Tool and lever

I also just added the Sahmuri Sword as my plug kit to my handle bars, but had to switch to Renthal push on grips to do it. Haven't used the plugs yet, but they are huge and would think are going to be awesome.

Inside that bag I have:

• Turbolito tube - I haven't used this officially, but its there for an emergency like a sidewall tear
  • Small first aid kit - A lot of packless folks don't have this, and I would recommend at least having something for cuts. I have some disinfectant, advil, bandaids and some butterfly bandages.
  • CPR Mask
  • Spare lever to compliment the EDC lever
  • Aquatabs for making additional water
  • Spare Hanger
  • Extra plugs (10) - They weigh nothing so why not add them.  My friends will be happy.
  • Small piece of duct tape.  This can useful for a sidewall tear or a whole lot of other stuff.  

This system works for most rides, but I do still ride with a hip pack or a backpack in a few scenarios. I also have Specialized Swat Bibs I use as well if I need to carry my phone and a rain jacket only.

1. Unknown water sources. Carrying 26oz of water is limiting. The last thing I want to do is run out on a 20 mile ride. Aquatabs only work well if you have water, and sometimes in the SW north america we don't have water sources like in the desert.
  2. More food, more distance.  While I like bars enough, stashing them in my swat bibs they melt.  I also love a good pb&j on a ride, and I'm not taping that to my bike.
  3. More first aid. Bone breaks suck, especially the further away you are. I don't have anything in this kit for that scenario. So I carry a few triangle bandages, a CAT tourniquet, and a small space blanket, especially if I am solo.
  4. Carrying my inReach. Typically when I am solo or going for a long backcountry ride I like to have my inReach if shit hits the fan. I could put this in my Swat bib but sometimes I just carry a hip pack because it can be more comfortable.
  5. Knee Pads - If I don't feel like pedaling in them all day I'd rather have my pack to throw them in. They don't really fit in my hip pack, and even fully loaded my pack is still super light.

On Bike

In the Pack

Dec. 4, 2020, 11:32 p.m.

For those of you using a frame bag of some sort, dose your stuff just rattle around or is there some way to secure things?

Dec. 5, 2020, 6:18 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

For those of you using a frame bag of some sort, dose your stuff just rattle around or is there some way to secure things?

My smaller framebags are full so there is no rattling around. My larger half-frame bag is usually only about 50%-75% full, but the fact it's hanging from the underside of the TT I don't notice anything bouncing around inside.

Dec. 5, 2020, 3:43 p.m.

***Wolftooth EnCase  tool system:  14 function multi tool in right handlebar end; chainbreak and plug kit in left handlebar end, 2 quick links

***Giant Clutch Fork Storage: 25g CO2 with inflator head.

***Der Hangers: Both my in downtubes (2020 Enduro and 2020 Druid)

***Spare Cables:  None (AXS with a spare battery in each downtube)

***Tubes:  None (CushCore on Enduro....not going to ever do a field tube, run flat out; Zip 3Zero Motos on Druid w/ DD casings, haven't pinched since running these hoops)

***Water:  I run XL frames w/ bottle cages that will mount as far south as possible (blackburn and woftooth make versions).  This allows me to EASILY run a 1L bottle

***Snacks and phone:  Pocket

The above strategy has me comfy up to 20 miles/3hrs in terrain that will eat bike parts.  Any more than that and I will grab a fanny or a SWAT bib.  I know it's not for everyone, but all of my bikes are fully self sufficient, and every discipline has it's "go" bag with shoes, clothes and accessories staged and ready to go, so that when the moment presents itself, i can seize the moment.    That's probably and extra $250 per discipline: mountain, road, and dirt jump.

Dec. 6, 2020, 1:19 a.m.

Hi, 

could you confirm if this is the B-rad mini oder the bigger B-rad bag? I am debating which one to get. 1litre sounds huge :)

Dec. 6, 2020, 2:57 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

Hi, 

could you confirm if this is the B-rad mini oder the bigger B-rad bag? I am debating which one to get. 1litre sounds huge :)

Even the small was too big for my Scout. What bike and size are you putting it on?

Dec. 7, 2020, 1:12 a.m.

It is going on a Madonna RAAW V2 Size Large. The smaller one is probably the way to go, by your recommendation?