Let's talk about on bike storage

Nov. 30, 2020, 10:12 a.m.

I have been a Camelbak user since 1998. I do a lot of solo and longer rides so I love having tools, food and a jacket incase I need it. I recently moved to a house that is one block from the trail entrance, so I have been doing a lot of rides with just a water bottle. I am enjoying the cooler back.

I have started attaching items to my bike for emergencies. So far I have a Specialized bottle cage with a small basic allen key set. 76 Projects tube holder that has a tube, tire levers, one 24g C02 and head. I also have the Sombrio Squall jacket that folds into a very rudimentary fanny pack that can hold a bar and gel.

On Sunday I did a 30km 1000m ride and had a chain break, which made me realize I don't have all that I need. So I need to add a chain breaker/larger muti tool and quick link.

I am going to see if Shapeways or Thingverse to replace the allen key holder with one that will hold a larger mutli tool. But this Topeak set up looks perfect. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/ninja-series/847-NINJA%20T%20MOUNTAIN

I would love to have a OneUp EDC but I get CSU warrantied quite often so I can't risk warranty being denied due to threading the steer tube.

Let see your set ups. What do you like? What have you tried that didn't work?

https://nsmb.com/media/photos/2020/11/30/IMG_20201123_091542_003.jpg.1024x1024_q85.jpg

Last edited by: heathen on Nov. 30, 2020, 12:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2020, 11:10 a.m.

KickingHorse coffee makes  a really tough waterproof pouch to put stuff in after you have drank the coffee

Nov. 30, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

KickingHorse coffee makes  a really tough waterproof pouch to put stuff in after you have drank the coffee

That is some next level up-cycling. Do you just attach the pouch to your frame?

Nov. 30, 2020, 11:29 a.m.

Here is my GG Smash. Defiant frame bag with pump, tube, tools and spares plus two water bottles.

The last year or so I've been riding to the trails which adds ~2hrs to rides so I wanted some extra storage and put an On Sight frame bag on the Smash. Holds enough extra food and clothing to be really useful and doesn't get in the way or move when shredding.

Nov. 30, 2020, 11:31 a.m.

My Cotic BfeMax. The under the DT frame bag holds all my tools, pump, tube, spares, etc... The TT bag holds my phone, food and an extra layer as needed. Two bottles fit inside the main triangle and a 3rd can be fit under the DT if needed.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 30, 2020, 11:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2020, 11:34 a.m.

My custom Daambuilt. Porcelain Rocket half-frame bag for tools, spares, pump, tube as well as food and extra layers. A bottle fits inside the main triangle and there are mounts for a 2nd bottle under the DT if needed.

The Daambuilt in touring mode.

Nov. 30, 2020, 11:50 a.m.

I went on bike storage for a couple of years. Race Face Stash tool wrap only. In the strap's pocket a Genuine Innovations tire plug kit because it's tiny + a couple of car tire plugs, Pedro's mini tire levers. Under the strap a lightweight tube stuffed into an old cycling sock. A high volume pump strapped to the frame next to the water bottle. Also attached a multi tool in it's neoprene sleeve under the saddle with a fishing velcro strap.

Downsides besides small amount of added weight on the bike were unstrapping all that crap to get to tools. And everything being caked in mud all the time.

Ditched that setup on the next bike and went with a cute tiny backpack to look like a 90's raver. Mainly needed it for the quick access of a phone pocket attachment on the front strap. Hadn't run a pack since the water bladder days, I quite like packs when there's not 10lbs of water in them it turns out.

Unlike a bigger pack, I honestly can't feel that little camelback at all. Pack is loaded with same tiny amount of lightweight gear as above, but without the tube and with more bacon strips. The pack takes less than a moment to don, is waterproof, and I can do 30C°+ rides with no back heat at all. 

My medium-large pack that I use for trail maintenance feels oppressive in comparison. It's loaded more traditionally though, with all sorts of heavy crap I haven't really ever needed. The lightweight first aid kit is the only item I'll be replicating to move to the small pack.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Nov. 30, 2020, 11:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2020, 12:19 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I went on bike storage for a couple of years. Race Face Stash tool wrap only. In the strap's pocket a Genuine Innovations tire plug kit because it's tiny + a couple of car tire plugs, Pedro's mini tire levers. Under the strap a lightweight tube stuffed into an old cycling sock. A high volume pump strapped to the frame next to the water bottle. Also attached a multi tool in it's neoprene sleeve under the saddle with a fishing velcro strap.

Downsides besides small amount of added weight on the bike were unstrapping all that crap to get to tools. And everything being caked in mud all the time.

Ditched that setup on the next bike and went with a cute tiny backpack to look like a 90's raver. Mainly needed it for the quick access of a phone pocket attachment on the front strap. Hadn't run a pack since the water bladder days, I quite like packs when there's not 10lbs of water in them it turns out.

Unlike a bigger pack, I honestly can't feel that little camelback at all. Pack is loaded with same tiny amount of lightweight gear as above, but without the tube and with more bacon strips. The pack takes less than a moment to don, is waterproof, and I can do 30C°+ rides with no back heat at all. 

My medium-large pack that I use for trail maintenance feels oppressive in comparison. It's loaded more traditionally though, with all sorts of heavy crap I haven't really ever needed. The lightweight first aid kit is the only item I'll be replicating to move to the small pack.

I just want my bag just for big days when I need to haul 3L of water. They now make small bags that hold 3l.

Nov. 30, 2020, 12:19 p.m.

I like on bike storage because it allows me to downsize to a waist pack or no pack at all.

Where it falls short for me is when I switch between different bikes.  Pack makes it easier to just grab and go.  I could spring for a repair kit for multiple bikes, but that gets pricey.  

I was running the Wolftooth B-Rad bag, but it doesn't seem to play nice with any of my frames.  It is now seeing time as a saddle bag for my road bike.  

On my HT, just running a tube taped to the down tube and a multitool, Wolftooth pliers, pump, lever and a plug kit in a Dakine waist pack.  

I do dig those frame bags, might have to invest in one of those.  I have a small Blackburn one that I run on my eBike, perfect size for everything I listed above.

Nov. 30, 2020, 12:41 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: XXX_er

That is some next level up-cycling. Do you just attach the pouch to your frame?

strap it to the frame  with voile straps or whatever

Nov. 30, 2020, 12:49 p.m.

If you get the Oneup pump with the EDC you can mount it on your frame and don't have to worry about threading your steerer...and you'll have a pump.  You can fit tire plugs in there too if you forego storing the C02 in the pump.

Nov. 30, 2020, 12:56 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

If you get the Oneup pump with the EDC you can mount it on your frame and don't have to worry about threading your steerer...and you'll have a pump.  You can fit tire plugs in there too if you forego storing the C02 in the pump.

Thats what I did. I don't really understand why one would only run the steertube edc and no pump/plugs.

Nov. 30, 2020, 2:17 p.m.

+1 for the EDC pump. everything you need in one tidy package.

Nov. 30, 2020, 3:18 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: Bushpilot

If you get the Oneup pump with the EDC you can mount it on your frame and don't have to worry about threading your steerer...and you'll have a pump. You can fit tire plugs in there too if you forego storing the C02 in the pump.

Thats what I did. I don't really understand why one would only run the steertube edc and no pump/plugs.

I run the EDC tool with plug kit in my steerer and carry C02 with a small Specialized inflator strapped with my tube to my top tube. I flat pretty infrequently so carrying C02 is fine for me. The steerer tube storage is pretty slick.

(Now watch me flat next ride)

Last edited by: D_C_ on Nov. 30, 2020, 3:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2020, 5:50 p.m.

That little bottle-mount Topeak deal is pretty slick.

Last edited by: thaaad on Nov. 30, 2020, 6:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.