Less Than 500 Gram Crankset

Aug. 16, 2013, 8:03 a.m.

Made in Canada.

http://singletrackworld.com/2013/08/race-face-break-the-500g-barrier-with-canadian-made-crankset/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:16 a.m.

I'd be afraid my hackness would break them :(

Aug. 16, 2013, 3:11 p.m.

pfffft. these ones are the new drillium cranks. Brandon Semenuk is gonna' give them their first ever test run in the Joyride tomorrow.

That's all his new top secret direct drive bike they're attached too. Shhhhhh. You didn't see this here.

Aug. 16, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

very last place on my bike that i would do carbon. but there surely is a niche for these and racers will buy them. carbon handlebars, sure.

Aug. 16, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

very last place on my bike that i would do carbon. but there surely is a niche for these and racers will buy them. carbon handlebars, sure.

How is carbon cranks scary but carbon bars not?

Aug. 16, 2013, 11:19 p.m.

How is carbon cranks scary but carbon bars not?

agree, way easier to ham fist some carbon bars to failure than carbon cranks.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 17, 2013, 4:05 a.m.

I've been pretty impressed with my Sixc cranks.

I'd rock these if I ever went to the dark side of 11 speed wide-range cassettes on a single front.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Aug. 17, 2013, 5:24 a.m.

The fat 30mm axle is great for the new BB shells, but here is my question, "Have you finally given up on Alum cups for your PF30 and BB92 and switched to composite cups?"

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Aug. 18, 2013, 5:10 p.m.

I've ridden the new cranks for about 5 months, and theve been solid. I've even smashed them pretty hard and put a sizeable dent on the non drive size from a poor line choice and they're still holding up. The bb has been problem free also. Love the tension adjustment.

Aug. 19, 2013, 7:28 a.m.

I am curious about the "made in Canada" tag. Does anyone know the status of manufacturing with Raceface? They recently auctioned off all the machinery from the Braid facility, so I presumed that meant they were moving everything offshore? Is there another factory somewhere in Canada?

Aug. 19, 2013, 8:16 a.m.

I think the aluminum is being machined offshore, but the carbon is being done here.

Not 100% sure though.

Aug. 19, 2013, 1:02 p.m.

ugg, hate crank weights that include rings and bb. Just gimme the arm weights please. Admittedly the spline thing messes it up again.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 19, 2013, 2:35 p.m.

I am curious about the "made in Canada" tag. Does anyone know the status of manufacturing with Raceface? They recently auctioned off all the machinery from the Braid facility, so I presumed that meant they were moving everything offshore? Is there another factory somewhere in Canada?

Race Face continues to make ALL their carbon cranks in Vancouver. They recently moved to a new facility that allowed them to expand this carbon production - doubling the output of their awesome carbon cranks. The Made in Canada tag on the cranks is legit.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

http://www.myspace.com/readyrabbit :rocker:

Aug. 20, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification Bonktonk.
Too bad about the machined parts, but I am well aware of how hard it is to manufacture locally at a reasonable price.

If I had the spare money and time it would be a fun project to put together an entirely made in North America bike. Would probably end up being some crazy custom steel single speed with exotic carbon bits and would cost about 5-6k!

Paul

Aug. 20, 2013, 9:38 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification Bonktonk.
Too bad about the machined parts, but I am well aware of how hard it is to manufacture locally at a reasonable price.

If I had the spare money and time it would be a fun project to put together an entirely made in North America bike. Would probably end up being some crazy custom steel single speed with exotic carbon bits and would cost about 5-6k!

Paul

There was a made in BC bike at the bike and outdoor show a couple of years ago, it was fancy and some of the parts had to be machined specifically for the project because they weren't actually available locally or had to be restored from years past when production was available (such as brakes and the headset IIRC). It's possible but a huge time hog from what the guy at the booth said.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden