Kona Honza / Taro Thoughts

Aug. 14, 2014, 4:48 p.m.

At some point this becomes unreasonable, especially for taller riders…

well then buy something else you giant crybaby

there are a number of options out there. not everyone likes their chainstays super short, but for those who do… HONZO!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 14, 2014, 5:19 p.m.

well then buy something else you giant crybaby

Glad to see that charm school degree paying off!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:57 a.m.

I've always like the Honzo but I just checked out the CS length. 415?? Um, that's incredibly short. Is that how short they were on previous years?

They are adjustable.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Aug. 15, 2014, 11:09 a.m.

Glad to see that charm school degree paying off!

actually its a law degree. they're pretty much opposites ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 15, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

They are adjustable.

How much can they move? 1-2cm?

Aug. 15, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

I have an older model so it may be slightly different but it looks to be about 2 cm. I'll give you some measurements when I get home.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Aug. 15, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

that sounds about right

but i think you're going at this wrong. you're interested in a 29er AM hardtail, and you know you want longish chainstays. so why not look around and find a bike that has them, rather than fixating on the one that clearly doesn't and complaining about it?

here's a partial list of what is out there to help you get started:

• canfield nimble nigh and yelli screamy
  • niner ros 9
  • banshee paradox
  • transitions transam 29
  • chromag surface and rootdown
  • 2souls quarterhorse
  • ragley bigwig
  • trek stache
  • reeb somethingorother
  • surly krampus

Aug. 15, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

but i think you're going at this wrong. you're interested in a 29er AM hardtail, and you know you want longish chainstays. so why not look around and find a bike that has them, rather than fixating on the one that clearly doesn't and complaining about it?

• niner ros 9
  • banshee paradox
  • transitions transam 29
  • 2souls quarterhorse
  • ragley bigwig
  • trek stache
  • reeb somethingorother
  • surly krampus

Good call.

BUT Canfields have short chainstays as well though. ROS 9 is also shortish

Aug. 15, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

what about the Kona BIG UNIT looks like a nice frame too start with taper headtube , adjustable chain stays dropper friendly

http://www.konaworld.com/big_unit.cfm

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 15, 2014, 1:36 p.m.

that sounds about right

• niner ros 9
  • banshee paradox
  • transitions transam 29
  • 2souls quarterhorse
  • ragley bigwig
  • trek stache
  • reeb somethingorother
  • surly krampus

Wow/thanks I guess.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining or necessarily looking to make this bike do anything. I've been tangentially interested in this bike for a long time and was surprised at the short CS length and speculating that at some point, probably on the bigger sizes, that there might be such a thing as too short. There's clearly no right or wrong here, just questions and preferences.

*edit. Lots of 29ers come with shortish chainstays and 415 is super short. 430 is something that I know is doable and it looks like the bike will do that (and still maybe have a bit of room to play with) so what's the big deal? I just wanted to know if you were committed to that ultra short length and if ergonomics might get weird for a taller rider. These aren't unreasonable questions.

Aug. 15, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

I just wanted to know if you were committed to that ultra short length and if ergonomics might get weird for a taller rider. These aren't unreasonable questions.

I am completely commited* to the ultra short length

• I race BMX, I'm 5'8" and ride and 18". I have about 5-7" of seatpost showing.

I know you're tall so I get your concern when climbing with short CS.

Aug. 16, 2014, 12:13 a.m.

2.5 cm

Aug. 16, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

The GF has a honzo. I have ridden it a couple times and like it a lot. on a 29'er short chain stays make a bike super fun. keep in mind that I have been riding a chromag surface for 2+ years now. I have not had enough time on the Honzo to comment on the difference between it and a surface, but I do think for a sub $2000 retail bike it is hard to beat. there are a few weird parts you are going to want to swap out right way, but over all its a pretty good bike.

As far as the taro goes, aluminum is a funny material for hardtails, flexy with very little vibration dampening. anything stiff is going to be super heavy and harsh, any thing light is going to flex in all the wrong ways. thats not an engineer statement, but antidotes from a guy who has ridden a lot of hard tails over the years.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Aug. 26, 2014, 3:08 p.m.

I have a Nimble 9 which is similar in Geo to the Honzo or Taro. I can say that its is a great bike with ridiculously short chain stays and a similarly very short wheelbase. Its a fun bike to ride for sure but not nearly as fun as my Heckler.

That was tough to stomach as first (my first modern bike I built) but riding back to back even on trails that really don't warrant the Heckler I'd prefer to be on it. I have relegated the Nimble 9 to my bike packing bike and occasionally will take it out for a ride around town but for fun on the trails its the Heckler all the way.

Despite its geo I just can't manipulate the 29er as easily, level wheel lifts, front wheel lifts manuals etc. are all more difficult to do on it. I suspect that despite the progressive geo one still has that BB drop to contend with and that changes leverage ratios significantly. The heckler with its much longer wheelbase (1138 vs 1080ish) much longer chain stay (439 vs 415ish) feels more nimble and fun, it does have the smaller 27.5 wheels and a correspondingly shorter BB drop… My 2 cents.

Ride on,

Michael