Knock off pedals!?!

Feb. 3, 2007, 5:24 p.m.

Not just a knock off. A copy.

Today I saw a set of pedals come in with a bike (he wanted them put on his new bike). Looked like crank bros smarty pedals. But upon closer inspection, they are CHEAP AS HELL. All bearings have play in them, and when I took out a box of REAL Candy pedals, there are subtle differences everywhere (and some not so subtle differences as well). I am 98% they are fake. Ill post the pictures of them tomorrow I hope, but I have no doubt these were not made by crank bros. So shitty its not even funny. The guy who brought them in said he got them off the net. Not sure where though. Ill see him tomorrow though and Ill get the scoop. Where he got them, when he got them ect. ect.

Tomorrow I will also be sending the pictures to crank bros to see what they have to say about it.

Has anyone else seen or heard of these shitty knock offs?

thinkin bout bikes

Feb. 3, 2007, 5:26 p.m.

Sounds like typical Crank Bros pedals……

I have no children and my tits are super perky.

Feb. 3, 2007, 5:38 p.m.

Hahaha!! You're a snobby bugger huh?

Oh fuck, I forgot I took pictures of them with my cell phone as well, gimme 5 minutes and ill post em up.

EDIT:

Crummy cell phone pics, but you can see these look a bit different then any other CB pedal ive seen.

The actual clipless mechanism (the four little bars) is made of stamped pieces of steel that are (poorly) bent into shape around the spindle. All bearings/bushings have play in them, the crank bros symbol (the shiny silver piece on the body of the pedal) is made of plastic instead of metal, the body is made of a plastic that just has a different texture and feel to it than a real crank bros pedal. Its fake.

So really, my only question is (I know they are fake), has anyone else seen this?

thinkin bout bikes

Feb. 3, 2007, 5:44 p.m.

what are you talking about. CB pedals are awesome, well except for 50/50s in BC. I have 4 pairs, they are all great.

edit: yo Chunk, i think that those are actually the new cheapy CB pedals, Smarty.
http://www.crankbrothers.com/smarty.php :)

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 3, 2007, 5:56 p.m.

edit: yo Chunk, i think that those are actually the new cheapy CB pedals, Smarty.
http://www.crankbrothers.com/smarty.php :)

I changed my posts above cuz I didnt know the smarty came out. But im still convinced they are fake.

The entire mechanism is made of stamped steel that is bent into shape, and all the bearings have play in them. I know low end stuff doesnt always feel like the nice stuff, but this is ridiculous. They also rattle like crazy. Like, the spring is loose in the pedal. Im still sure these are fake. They also came in a shrink wraped little package. No cleats, no instructions, no box.

Ill post better pictures tomorrow showing the stamped steel, and the play that the spring has. And the plastic

thinkin bout bikes

Feb. 3, 2007, 7:18 p.m.

no cleats or box = ghetto.

- bike sexual

Feb. 4, 2007, 8:18 a.m.

The entire mechanism is made of stamped steel that is bent into shape, and all the bearings have play in them.

Look again at the CB link…the Smarty pictured has stamped steel mechanism, too. It's pretty polished in the picture, but it's there.

Every pair of CB pedals I've seen have bearing play.

Feb. 4, 2007, 3:08 p.m.

That's a typical smarty. They are cheap, cheap, cheap. Mostly used OE because people will generally swap them out for beaters, candy's or quats.

Feb. 4, 2007, 8:43 p.m.

those=smarty=cheapy

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Feb. 4, 2007, 8:48 p.m.

hahaha, kinda like the counterfeit king headsets.

Feb. 5, 2007, 1:05 a.m.

thay look fake to me

Feb. 5, 2007, 9:26 a.m.

Those look more like "fall-off" pedals.

(Cue snare drum)

Feb. 5, 2007, 5:46 p.m.

Crank Brothers stuff is a total waste of money, unless you're a lycra geek or like expensive packaging it's uselesss.

Feb. 5, 2007, 5:54 p.m.

does eny one want to buy some crank bro's 5050xx pedals for cheep.

Feb. 5, 2007, 6:10 p.m.

If he can find the pieces that fell off…

Sober