Knee pads

Feb. 28, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

I am looking for input for a new set of Knee pads .I want some that are light and don't get in the way when I'm pedaling. It would be nice to be able to put them on without removing my shoes.

Feb. 28, 2015, 6:14 p.m.

Really like my Ixs Carve knee pads light , comfortable but still slip on.IMO any pad that that does not slip on is going to slip off when its needed..

Feb. 28, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

I like my ixs daggers, I think the hard plastic on the outside helps, and a bit of protection above the knee and extending down the shin a bit is sweet. They are hot and bulky though, on cooler days like right now I don't notice them at all but mid summer 25 degrees plus I do, but probably would notice most pads whens it's hot and if you don't you are probably making a compromise

March 1, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

Check out the Alpinestars Paragon.

http://www.alpinestars.com/paragon-knee-guard?#.VPNFuC69b5w

March 1, 2015, 9:36 a.m.

Over the years, this is one place I've been pretty happy with the RaceFace line of knee pads and they continue to evolve nicely. Used to where the Dig pretty much all the time and except for the longest rides and hottest days, they were tolerable. Then they came out with the Ambush, which is probably one of the best blends of full protection (even bike park-able), fit, and pedalability. Still a bit much in the heat and long long rides, but if you're only going to have one knee pad to do it all…

Then I got a great deal on the Charge knee "sleeve". Even after hearing some durability complaints on this, for the price, I grabbed them. I've worn them 5 days/week through the winter (got them in November) as my daily ride knee warmers (work on Burnaby Mtn, so ride singletrack each day), have crashed a few times (minor), and they've held up well and pretty much not noticeable when riding.

This truly leads me to be intrigued by the Indy. If they've fixed their design flaws with the strap on the latest generation, they might be the beezkneez for all of us Enduro-pro's.

March 1, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

i am a fan of the RF pads , i have a early pair of the Flank , mine are slip -on and i like them alot , i have spent hrs in them with no discomfort . i also have the Indy,s got them when they 1st came out no issues with them other then they are like second skin after several hrs of use . my Indy elbow pads have issues the padding as all wadded up and i can not wear them . have to contact RF and get them warrantied

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 1, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

the RF Ambush pads meet your criteria of being able to put on without shoe removal. they have an open back and you strap them on with velcro. works very well. i've tried pedalling with them for the whole ride and still don't care for it. they have to strap on fairly tight to stay in place and a hot sweaty knee will still make for some chafing even with these. put on at the top for the rest of the ride, they work very well and have a full thickness D3O pad. i've had only minor offs and feel nothing through the knee. a major fall is gonna hurt, no matter the pads IMO.

March 1, 2015, 11:37 p.m.

Over the years, this is one place I've been pretty happy with the RaceFace line of knee pads and they continue to evolve nicely. Used to where the Dig pretty much all the time and except for the longest rides and hottest days, they were tolerable. Then they came out with the Ambush, which is probably one of the best blends of full protection (even bike park-able), fit, and pedalability. Still a bit much in the heat and long long rides, but if you're only going to have one knee pad to do it all…

Then I got a great deal on the Charge knee "sleeve". Even after hearing some durability complaints on this, for the price, I grabbed them. I've worn them 5 days/week through the winter (got them in November) as my daily ride knee warmers (work on Burnaby Mtn, so ride singletrack each day), have crashed a few times (minor), and they've held up well and pretty much not noticeable when riding.

This truly leads me to be intrigued by the Indy. If they've fixed their design flaws with the strap on the latest generation, they might be the beezkneez for all of us Enduro-pro's.

I've had a pair of Indy for just under a year now and while they are pretty good in terms of staying in place, being comfortable (can easily pedal in them) I have two complaints:

1) The neoprene is tearing already (right below the strap) to the point where I doubt they will last more than 6 more months. Might have to look at warranty, luckily they are from MEC.

2) The bottom of the D3O pad sometimes digs into my shin when I wear them while pedaling. In dry conditions it is sometimes enough to actually break my skin. This is probably just something unique to the shape of my legs and the pads since I haven't read this complaint from anyone else (I have thick legs, the XL are a tight fit).

I'll be getting some Ambush knee pads instead either way as I want more protection for the bike park and don't mind wearing them around ankles for climbing.

March 2, 2015, 2:23 p.m.

I have a set of the new Race Face Flanks and a newer set of IXS Daggers…and once I wore the daggers the Flanks are collecting dust…so much more comfortable and they do not move at all. It's worth it for me to have to take off my shoes to put on the Daggers. ;)

March 2, 2015, 6:27 p.m.

I just picked up some Fox Enduro (ugh) knee pads, and they're fantastic. Stay put, forgettable fit when riding, and just enough padding for trail/am usage. A word of warning: they fit small. I can only barely fit the XL, which is the largest size they make. Try before you buy.

Ride, don't slide.

March 3, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

My old 661 knee pads are just about toast. They have held up very well, but now are really starting to fall apart.

They are the non EVO version, so they are a little bulky, slip on type with velco fasteners. They might be an older verion of the 661 Rage. I would buy again, but might try the EVO verion if they provide the same protection without the bulk and will last.

Anyone have any thoughts

March 3, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

Really happy with the dianese trail skins, had them for about 7 months and they are the first set of pads I forget I'm wearing even on long climbs. Comfortable, no rubbing at all, good ventilation and just enough protection that I've walked away from each crash so far.

I bought a set of the O'Neal zipper pads thinking I'd like the way they can go on and off easily, but have been so impressed with the trail skins I'm selling the O'Neals unused.

March 3, 2015, 10:38 p.m.

My poc vpds are one of the best bike purchases I've made. Season number 4 now I think and still rolling. Some of the stitching is going though, I'll have to get the needle and thread out

March 4, 2015, 10:11 a.m.

Really happy with the dianese trail skins, had them for about 7 months and they are the first set of pads I forget I'm wearing even on long climbs. Comfortable, no rubbing at all, good ventilation and just enough protection that I've walked away from each crash so far.

Those look good. Did you manage to find them anywhere local?

March 5, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

Those look good. Did you manage to find them anywhere local?

I got mine in Europe last year, not sure who carries them locally, but they are available online. Sizing is pretty true, I was right between med and lg and went with the med after trying both on. They have loosened up a very small amount but not much. There is good adjustment with Velcro straps top and bottom.

If you're here in Squamish and want to try them on for size, drop me a message.